Talk

Advanced search

Fundal height and growth scans..

(7 Posts)
buckyou Wed 28-Dec-16 15:51:51

I've just been to see the midwife, I'm 34+2. She's saying I'm measuring 38cm so need to go for a scan as I've gone off the scale but me and my husband have just measured it looks more like 32cm!

Obviously I'm not a midwife.. but you are meant to measure to the top of your bump, not right up to your ribs? It's 38 if you measure from my pubic bone to my ribs.

I've had one normally sized baby.. worried this one is going to be a giant but don't know if she's just measured it wrong!? Guess i will find out on Friday.

DipsyLaLa22 Wed 28-Dec-16 15:53:34

I'd trust your midwife. She's dintbit a thousand times. There are specific points you measure from and to and I'd be amazed if she got it that wrong.

FrankAndBeans Wed 28-Dec-16 15:53:47

More likely the baby has changed position than her measuring it wrong. That's why fundal height measurements are so inaccurate as the baby moves and bump size changes.

DipsyLaLa22 Wed 28-Dec-16 15:54:01

Should have said "done it"

TwoDogs9 Wed 28-Dec-16 23:48:19

My first fundal measurement put baby on 10th percentile. A growth scan a week later put baby on 90th!! Go figure that one?! I don't think either are particularly accurate tbh!!

Evergreen17 Thu 29-Dec-16 15:47:12

I agree with the position thing. They are pretty inaccurate measurements but the growth scans are not great either confused

buckyou Fri 30-Dec-16 13:23:21

Well the growth scan was fine, he's tracking just above 50th centile. The sonographer lady said they don't even bother at some hospitals when they measure big because they measurements are so inaccurate.

I guess there's no harm in getting an extra scan though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now