Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just got my BFP

(10 Posts)
Amz26 Wed 28-Dec-16 01:19:21

Me and my OH are in so much shock as we got a BFP this evening! I came off the pill at the start of this month and didn't even have a withdrawal bleed.. I never thought we would fall pregnant this quick.... We are so happy and scared at the same time!

I wasn't really sure if we should tell anyone but we told our mums 😁 I'm only 1-2 weeks and I know it's really early.. Should I make an appointment to see the doctor? X

Princesspinkgirl Wed 28-Dec-16 01:43:36

Not yet it's to early I'd wait another 3-5 weeks

Amz26 Wed 28-Dec-16 02:16:00

Ok thank you.. I won't book an appointment tomorrow then X

mrscrocopop Wed 28-Dec-16 06:32:05

Congratulations x

ricepolo Wed 28-Dec-16 06:38:25

Doctor won't want or need to see you before 8wks unless you have a medical condition. You may also be able to book in direct with the midwife, but again not for a while. Ensure you're on the folic acid and cut out booze etc. Otherwise just enjoy your little secret!! Congratulations.

BikeRunSki Wed 28-Dec-16 06:42:35

Congratulations!

MmmMalbec Wed 28-Dec-16 06:46:37

It depends where you are. Some of my friends have to go to the doctor before seeing a midwife (nothing personal, just their surgeries policy). With both of my pregnancies I've referred to the midwife a few days after finding out and then had an appointment between 7 and 9 weeks. No harm in ringing your doctor to see what their policy is. Congratulations!

haveacupoftea Wed 28-Dec-16 08:07:55

You should ring your GP surgery today and ask the receptionist for advice. You're actually probably around 4 weeks dated from LMP and you'll want to get your booking in arranged for around 8-10 weeks. If you need to factor in an appointment with the GP before that then best get cracking. If you leave your booking in too late that can affect your 12 week scan date, pushing it back, which you don't want is its so exciting! You'll also need high dose folic acid if you have a family history of some problems like spina bifida or high BMI (which can only be prescribed by a GP) and medical advice for some conditions like diabetes or thyroid problems.

If you have a look at ante natal clubs, you'll find the September 2017 one and can chat to others on there about what they're doing smile

BeccaSays Wed 28-Dec-16 09:21:01

Congratulations! I called up my surgery at around 5 weeks and they said I had to book in with the midwife, not the doctor. The earliest appointment I could get was when I was 10 weeks, which they have to see you by. So I'd book in, it felt like time moved really slowly. I had an emergency scan at 8 weeks after some bleeding but still didn't see midwife until 10 weeks. Now I'm 29+3 and I wish time would slow down! smile like others said, get straight on the folic acid if you're not already. They're also v keen on vitamin d throughout pregnancy. I still take a complete pre natal vitamin x

Amz26 Wed 28-Dec-16 12:20:09

Thanks so much for your advice ladies! I called them today and they ask me how far along I was.. I told them only 1-2 weeks and she said the doctors like to see pregnant women as soon as possible! Because it's very busy at this time and I haven't got any medical conditions my appointment is booked in for the 11th Jan smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now