Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pre-Natal Plans

(7 Posts)
Jess89Amie Mon 26-Dec-16 20:36:56

Hi all,

I'm due to get married on the 6th May 2017, and am hoping to conceive as soon a possible straight after.

I'm so excited to start a family and be pregnant, however I'm so nervous as I had a blighted ovum not long after my partner and I first met almost 3 years ago, and so we have both got our heads down with work and said we won't consider getting pregnant again until we're married.

I have a stressful job, and am currently on anti-depressants in which I will need to wean off in the New Year.

I have already come of my contraceptive pill in the hope of getting a regular period (as I've been on it for well over 10 years).

Does anyone have any tips or advice on when I should start taking pre-natal vitamins or any other info on conceiving - I have read it can take quite a while! hmm

Xx

TallyHoAndToodlePip Mon 26-Dec-16 20:45:58

Start taking your prenatal vitamins at least 3 months prior to starting TTC. Be sure to have sex every other day in the 5 fertile days leading up to your ovulation day, on the day of it, and the day after if you can. If you're not sure when you're ovulating you can download a period tracker app as a rough guide, or for a more definite answer use ovulation kits.

I did all of this (after coming off the pill a year before, having been on it for 13 years!) and conceived first try. I know it's not that easy for everyone but it worked for me personally.

Good luck! smile

Sparklyuggs Tue 27-Dec-16 08:44:55

My GP told me to start taking folic acid when I came off the pill.

I used clearblue ovulation prediction kits, the one with low/high/peak and that was v helpful for me after 10 years on the pill and mild PCOS but I think it's about £25 a kit for a month, I could afford it but there are cheaper non digital ones.

It can take a while, I'm 30 and came off the pill in Feb and got pregnant in November. Using the ovulation kits helped but I think I read my chances each month were about 15% which surprised me after years of trying not to get pregnant, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong if it doesn't happen immediately.

Of course, if you have health issues or are over 35, the NHS recommend seeing the GP after 6 months.

Good luck and enjoy your wedding!

Lunalovepud Tue 27-Dec-16 08:52:24

I'll add a word of caution about the pill... It doesn't always take months to get out of your system and get your regular cycle back etc...

I had been in the pill for 20 years (with a couple of short breaks here and there) and I was pregnant within 10 days. TEN DAYS. wink

Good luck with everything! smile

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Tue 27-Dec-16 09:26:48

If you know when you want to start trying, there is no harming in starting to track your ovulation and cycles from now, as that way you will have a really clear idea of when your best days are for when you are ready to start trying. I second the comment about cycles after the pill; as soon as you stop taking it you can get pregnant so make sure you are using alternatives if you're not ready quite yet xx

Kel1234 Tue 27-Dec-16 09:32:44

I came off the pill in July 2014. We started trying in August and I was pregnant at the end of November.
I didn't bother taking anything.

raviolidreaming Tue 27-Dec-16 09:51:35

I came off the pill after 17 years and started pre-conception vitamins 6 months before we started TTC. We did everything as recommended - sex every other day for up to ten days during the fertile window; DH on zinc and multi-vits; Conceive Plus lube; cut down on alcohol etc... it still took 18 months! I'm not saying that to be doom and gloom, but just to add a bit of balance. Like sparkly says, it doesn't necessary mean there's anything wrong if it doesn't happen for you immediately. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now