Talk

Advanced search

What can I take for the flu:-(

(20 Posts)
Rya2710 Mon 26-Dec-16 12:09:15

Hello!
Im 23 weeks and I've had the flu for a week now and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I can hardly eat and drinking hurts as well, I've literally got every flu symptom you could imagine:-( just wondering what medicine I can actually take. Feeling very fed up :-(

jimijack Mon 26-Dec-16 12:19:05

Just fluids, loads of fluids and paracetamol, nice warm baths for the aching.
Do you have Other kids to look after too? Have you got someone to help for an hour or two with them if you do?

UnbornMortificadoAtChristmas Mon 26-Dec-16 12:22:49

You poor thing. The only otc you can take is paracetamol. If it's really bad a GP can prescribe codeine (or they did 3 years ago when I was pg)

Rya2710 Mon 26-Dec-16 12:27:37

This is my first baby so luckily I'm able to stay in bed and try to sleep it off. I'm going to try having a bath and some more paracetamol in an hour and see if that helps. Thankfully baby has been wriggling around all morning, I was so worried it would make her poorly as well. Fingers crossed it'll clear soon! Xxx

jimijack Mon 26-Dec-16 12:33:46

That's good, nothing worse than feeling like you are about to die and having to look after kids too.

Won't affect your baby, she is very well protected from illness, all the best xx

UnbornMortificadoAtChristmas Mon 26-Dec-16 12:41:34

Hope you get rid of it soon flowers

KookSpook Mon 26-Dec-16 12:44:19

Lots of water & rest. Not sure I would bother with a bath though, it might totally exhaust you, especially if lightheaded/dizzy.

Can someone bring you a bowl of hot soapy water to the bed & clean nightie?

I would have a strip wash sat on the bed then soak feet in the bowl flowers

Rya2710 Tue 27-Dec-16 11:26:34

Still feeling really rotten:-( aches have gone now but I have a horrible rattling chest and cough😭 I was told that some cough sweets can't be taken but they're the only thing that seems to help:-( Feeling very sorry for myself hahah xxxx

PeachBellini123 Tue 27-Dec-16 11:32:59

Get someone to get you some Vicks vapour rub. Safe to use during pregnancy and only thing helping my chesty cough sad

MissClarke86 Tue 27-Dec-16 11:46:27

Watch out for fever/high temp. If it's genuine flu it can be a risk to baby. Have you had the flu jab yet?

UnbornMortificadoAtChristmas Tue 27-Dec-16 13:49:13

I've just started with my chest too. I'm not pregnant so at least I can break out the pain killers.

I've had honey aswell. I'm sure I've read (on here) that's it's a myth about it doing anything but it seems to be helping (even if it's just all in my head)

UnbornMortificadoAtChristmas Tue 27-Dec-16 13:51:13

Honestly if it's that's painful I'd ring your GP tomorow. Codeine linctus is amazing as the codeine helps suppress the cough but you can't get it otc when pregnant it'll need prescribing.

Rya2710 Tue 27-Dec-16 20:25:10

I had the flu jab a couple of months ago and it doesn't seem to have done much:-( my partner has bought me a tub of Vicks and it's helping so much! I've been putting honey in my tea just to see if it does make a difference at all, and yeah I'm going to phone the doctors as my chest is just getting worse and I now have white lumps all over the back of my throat:-( thank you for all your advice everyone! Xxxx

UnbornMortificadoAtChristmas Wed 28-Dec-16 11:54:11

I think I have similar. Was supposed to be seeing my nieces (4 weeks and 2yo) but I've been up half the night coughing and I don't want to pass it on.

Are you feeling any better Rya?

Rya2710 Wed 28-Dec-16 12:12:11

Oh no:-( I feel your pain!! Luckily today I'm starting to feel a bit better and a bit more human haha, I hope you feel better soon! Xxx

UnbornMortificadoAtChristmas Wed 28-Dec-16 16:07:37

At least I don't have a pregnancy to contend with on top of it.

Pleased your feeling better hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly and virus free. flowers

Rya2710 Mon 09-Jan-17 12:56:27

Sorry to bring up my old thread but I'm still poorly:-( severe migraines and my mouth and tongue are constantly dried out. I was told to just rest and drink plenty of fluids but I'm getting desperate now, can I phone my midwife or anyone?? Xxxxx

kikisdelivery Mon 09-Jan-17 13:11:04

Can you go to your Dr? You might need a course of something prescribed? I'm 35 weeks now and over christmas I had to have antibiotics for a bad cold/chest infection. If it's hung round this long it might be worth it.

Rya2710 Mon 09-Jan-17 14:02:11

My worry is that I've been in hospital because I get dehydrated really quickly and have high keytones, as well as extremely low blood pressure and my maternity unit never seem to listen until it gets to the point where I've collapsed and been admitted. I tried the doctors they said to just rest and the maternity care unit at the hospital just said its 'the sniffles' and there's nothing they can do. I completely understand they can't really help much for the flu but I can't eat or drink properly where my mouth and throat is so dry and sore, my migraines are making me dizzy which is really don't need when my blood pressure is so low anyway and I'm just worried I'm going to end up in hospital again:-( sorry to be so whiny but I'm so desperate and fed up xxxx

kikisdelivery Mon 09-Jan-17 16:35:33

Whine away, it sounds awful! Can you (or your partner/family member on your behalf) really put your foot down and say you've gone on long enough trying the advice you were given and now need to be seen again or be prescribed something (if you're happy to take meds etc of course)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now