Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can labour start unexpectedly ? Or are there always signs before?

(13 Posts)
Nikki2ol6 Mon 26-Dec-16 09:43:51

I'm almost 39wks and my induction is coming closer and I'm getting more antsy. Every morning I wake up feeling the same, tired and sluggish and hungry, could my labour start at any moment of any day? Or are there always signs leading up to it and is it most likely to be happening when I wake up one day?

BertrandRussell Mon 26-Dec-16 09:47:27

Is there a reason you mustn't go into labour naturally? Could you be worrying about that?

Spottyladybird Mon 26-Dec-16 09:53:02

With my first I woke up and my waters broke at 40+7, no signs before hand but I had a long labour after. My second was induced at 12 days over and was very quick.

Try not to worry about either situation, relax now and see what happens.

Nikki2ol6 Mon 26-Dec-16 09:59:59

My baby is very poorly he has 4 heart defects and will need surgery very soon after he's born, he will be taken away from me after birth and taken to another hospital so it is completely worrying me and no matter how hard I try I can't stop worrying about me which I'm sure is completely normal

BertrandRussell Mon 26-Dec-16 10:06:13

Wow- how worrying for you. Have they not suggested a C section?

MagicalMrsMistoffelees Mon 26-Dec-16 10:11:15

I had no signs or cramps or anything before either of my two vaginal deliveries. In both cases my waters broke, the contractions began and 9 hours later a baby arrived! The first was at 41 weeks and the second at 40+3.

You must be desperately worried about your baby. But if labour begins naturally you'll almost certainly have time to get to hospital before he arrives. I hope all goes to plan and he is in your arms before you know it.

MagicalMrsMistoffelees Mon 26-Dec-16 10:12:27

Oh and labour can begin at any time. My first was 5 past 10 in the evening and my second at 2am.

Fitzsimmons Mon 26-Dec-16 10:19:11

How worrying for you, I hope you will get to hold your baby soon.

With both of mine my waters broke suddenly and then contractions started straight away, 3-5 minutes apart. However my first was still 14 hours and my second was just under 3, so whilst intense I had time to get to the hospital. In hindsight there were other additional signs. With my first I had an overwhelming urge to clean and a feeling that my life was fundamentally changing. With my second I just knew that it was going to happen that day, and again cleaned everything. I wish you well.

Nikki2ol6 Mon 26-Dec-16 10:44:33

No they said they would not suggest a section as usually these babies do fine during labour and delivery but inductions can be stressful for them so they want me to go naturally but don't want me going last my due date so if I go into labour I need to go straight to the hospital so he can be monitored asap.

And Iv had no urges to clean at all Iv had a lot of cramps and back pains but that was a few days ago and had nothing at all yesterday except 2 braxton hicks lol and they were about 8 hours apart. I keep falling asleep at night thinking I will wake up in labour... then I wake up and nothing except a desperate urge to pee

annlee3817 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:21:58

I had 90 mins of dull irregular period pains before mine all kicked off at 1.30am, only sign that things might be happening were that I had my bloody show on and off all day. Fingers crossed you go before the induction.

Nikki2ol6 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:23:59

I do believe we are doing the deed tonight, first time in a month lol hopefully it kicks things off. And I had period pains again before every 3 minuets for nearly an hour then they stopped as usual it's got me demented

MouseLove Mon 26-Dec-16 22:27:55

Stairs. Pineapple. Hot food. Nookie.
Good luck!!

I'm sure he will be in very very safe hands. If he were in any serious life threatening danger they would not have let you get this far. Be calm in the knowledge that he will be fine I'm sure after a little time being looked after by wonderful docs and nurses. X

Nikki2ol6 Mon 26-Dec-16 23:21:29

Thank you I do indeed feel he will be safe and I'm so glad it was seen on an ultrasound and it's all known about and everything has been planned in advance and Iv had so many scans to keep an eye on it and now all the Drs know what needs doing and when and I'm so greatful to the midwife who done my 20wk scan for seeing this. But still it's so scary knowing what he has to go through x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now