Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hypnobirthing

(20 Posts)
user1465146157 Mon 26-Dec-16 08:16:57

Hello - I'm 35 weeks and wondering if anyone can help - I've been on a HB course, it was okay but we were left with some mp3's and a book.
Is practising this just listening to the mp3s and reading the book??
I'm not sure what i'm supposed to be 'practising' - given that me breathing each day now is going to be different to breathing through the labour?

is this a stupid question!? I just don't know how i can best prepare this technique and and advice would be appreciated!!

Understood its not for everyone but if you're not into HB no horror stories please!!

thanks in advance x

SerialReJoiner Mon 26-Dec-16 08:40:20

Yes, you need to practice the breathing techniques and just listen to the scripts daily (if you want to).

It helps train your mind to relax quickly into the tightenings; I haven't had a hypnobirth yet, but yesterday I had a lot of practice contractions and was able to deeply relax through them so I thought that was a good sign!

Good luck.

user1465146157 Mon 26-Dec-16 08:42:45

SerialReJoiner - thank you for this - great to hear you've been able to use relaxation techniques.

I'm not too sure I'm training correctly? Is it literally just listening to scripts and breathing practice?

jugotmail Mon 26-Dec-16 08:55:50

I used hb and it worked brilliantly for me - i slept/tranced/dozed through most of the first stage so the only bugger was when they woke me up. The visualisation really worked especially envisioning the pain dial and turning it down. Helps if the mw is on board as my first was keen and started using the voice (those later on were more old school). Be aware that things might change and you might still need a little help/intervention - like when a little monkey has his arm up as if answering a question!- but it helps to keep the pain managable and focus you. Practice the script and visuals, make yourself some mantras and go to phrases which you can give to yourbirthing partner as well to say for you when you cant. Good luck

user1465146157 Mon 26-Dec-16 09:05:49

Thank you Jugotmail - really promising to know this has worked for you.

I want it to work just worried i'm not doing it right and also that i'm running out of time to practice!

I didnt know about the pain dial thing, will read up on it

x

SerialReJoiner Mon 26-Dec-16 09:06:28

It really is as simple as that. It's the daily practice/repetition that puts you in good stead when the time comes.

user1465146157 Mon 26-Dec-16 09:10:15

I suppose I thought there was more to it - I'll get listening more frequently

jugotmail Mon 26-Dec-16 09:22:56

With the pain dial you visualise a dial like a thermostat with 1 being no pain and 10 the worst, picture where you would rate the contaction and then turn it down to managable - i used slowly turning it down one line at a time to the next number with 5 lines inbetween numbers. I also found that tapping out the change with my hands helped me - annoyed the hell out of my husband as i was tapping left, right, left, right with my hands and muttering "down another line, thats a four now" etc!

QuilliamCakespeare Mon 26-Dec-16 11:04:07

Yes, listen to the scripts daily, it doesn't matter if you fall asleep, they still go in. I was rubbish with the breathing and found my own way in labour anyway but practice that too if you can.

Most of all, just look forward to the big day. I did HB with both of mine and had v quick births (second one this week (!!) was 1hr 20 mins) with no need for drugs.

You've got this.

QuilliamCakespeare Mon 26-Dec-16 11:06:06

YY to the pain dial. I used that wig both labours. You just picture a dial with the number 0-10 around it then mentally turn it down if things get too intense. Spend time focusing on the little details of the dial and making it real in your head.

peppatax Mon 26-Dec-16 11:11:43

Can anyone recommend the best way to go about learning about hypnobirthing? I guess it's to take a class but not sure how to find the right thing I suppose. Or shall I start with a book?

SerialReJoiner Mon 26-Dec-16 11:34:14

If you live in an area covered by One to One Midwives, you can take the class via the NHS. Just have a Google.

user1465146157 Mon 26-Dec-16 11:49:45

Thanks so much all - this is really helpful! I will definitely listen more often and keep practising.

I went on a course - they are not cheap so I would actually recommend just a book for now - but then again the class did help my partner know more about it. It depends on your teacher for definite, and also depends on your learning style, if you better one to one a class is good.

Thank you QuilliamCakespeare for the advice - congratulations on your recent new arrival!!!! I'm so pleased to hear this worked for you - I'm really trying to look forward to the big day - spent so much time thinking about it i just want to see what happens!

Peppatax one of the mantras we learned was that each surge (a better term for contraction) brings us closer to our baby, which I really think is a good way to look at it and hopefully get us through

QuilliamCakespeare Mon 26-Dec-16 18:03:17

I did a course too and if you can spare the cash I'd definitely recommend it. My DH went along as a skeptic but is now as pro-HB as I am and recommends it to anyone who'll listen.

The Hypnobirthing Book by Katharine Graves is really good - very reassuring and contains a lot of the scripts we used in class. You might also want to rent or borrow a TENS machine. I didn't have time to use one second time round but found it useful the first time.

annlee3817 Tue 27-Dec-16 19:38:57

I did it, and it was brilliant. I just practised relaxation, deep breathing and went over my scripts in my head, I used them to focus during labour, I had two points where I said "I can't do this" both turned out to be transition, and I did it without pain relief and had a fairly quick labour, I also stayed calm which surprised me smile good luck

annlee3817 Tue 27-Dec-16 19:40:06

Oh and I used the mantra that every contraction bought me closer to meeting my DD

annlee3817 Tue 27-Dec-16 19:41:07

Labour actually started when I had fallen asleep listening to my hypnobirthing CD... Sorry will shush now

MrsZumbaDancer Tue 27-Dec-16 20:19:02

I hynobirthed with both kids-both quick labours and no drugs. Make sure midwifes know you are practicing it though, no one believed I was in labour either time and my dd was actually born in a tv room as they didn't think I was ready 😡

QuilliamCakespeare Tue 27-Dec-16 21:06:35

I had a similar experience with DS1 - they didn't want to examine me again because I'd only been 2cm dilated two hours before. They did anyway because I had another shoe and found I was 10cm. We had to rush the get the birthing pool filled in time and he arrived 40 mins later. HB is amazing!

DS2 came much quicker but because it was my second baby they believed me when I arrived at hospital saying I was about to start pushing.

user1468957349 Tue 27-Dec-16 21:45:45

Great to read these stories. I'm 34 weeks with my first and have been using Sophie Fletchers book and tracks which I have found great - the reasoning and practice behind hypnobirth makes a lot of sense it's good to hear the stories where people have genuinely used it and it's worked so well for them smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now