Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How to announce pregnancy

(10 Posts)
chelle85 Sat 24-Dec-16 15:18:02

I will be 6 weeks tomorrow and have gone back and forth about whether to tell our parents st Christmas and decided we are going to. I have no idea why but I am so nervous about telling my parents (I'm nearly 32, married 1 year but been with my hubby 15 years so no reason to be nervous!)

I've decided that rather than saying it to get them a Christmas card for "Nan and Grandad" but I have no idea what to write in it. I've never been good at these sorts of things!

Suggestions appreciated

GenghisCalm Sat 24-Dec-16 15:20:31

Congratulations! Just write "can't wait to see you in August".

Badgoushk Sat 24-Dec-16 15:21:23

Can't wait to meet you!

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Sat 24-Dec-16 15:23:15

just be straightforward about it. Unless there is a back story they are likely to be pleased and not shocked wink congratulations flowers

chelle85 Sat 24-Dec-16 15:53:52

Thanks. I think in part it is because my mum suffers from depression she never really shows excitement about anything. When we were shopping for my wedding dress she mostly sat silently and we barely got a smile out of her. I would love to have the hugs and excitement snd jumpingup and down squealing (I know I'll get that when I tell my best friend) but I think I'm just expecting it to be a bit of an anti climax and as my hormones are a bit all over I am liable to bursting into tears at the minute!

chelle85 Sat 24-Dec-16 16:16:16

The card just says to a wonderful Nan and Grandad on the front so I have gone with

"If the front of the card isn't enough of a clue, I'll be arriving in August, can't wait to meet you"

Eek!! His parents will be easier to tell. His younger brother is due to become a dad in Feb and his parents have wanted grandkids for ages. Hubby is planning on going with something like "you know how you wait ages for a bus and them two come along at once...they're like grandkids"!

daimbar Sat 24-Dec-16 16:18:26

Congratulations! The card is a nice idea. I enjoyed telling people I was pregnant, even if there isn't squealing etc it will probably be a lovely lift for your mum if she's prone to depression.

Bella1985 Sat 24-Dec-16 16:44:25

Good luck! I was the same as you - nervous about telling parents despite being 31, married and with DH for 12yrs! We went with "what are your plans for Christmas? We may be busy and will need help from gran and grandpa..." - it was met with quiet shock and my mum mumbled something along the lines of "well done for ruining everyone's christmas dinner" and then I was questioned about who would look after the baby when i go back to work...! We expected a lukewarm reception as we aren't a huggy jumping for joy type family anyway. We gave them some time to get used to the idea and fastforward to Xmas Eve and they've just arrived with bags and bags of food and baby clothes and keep asking me if the baby is about to arrive as they want to meet him/her! I'm 39+1 so no baby arrival yet but soon we hope! Try not to take your mums first reaction to heart, I think its weird for them when their kids grow up, and my parents have never expressed an interest in becoming grand parents but now that it's happening my mum has even booked time off work in jan to come up to stay with me to help! Something I never imagined she would do!

I just thought I'd share my story as I don't want you to fixate on the initial reaction and be disappointed. Good luck and remember that you're happy and that's what counts! Merry Christmas indeed fsmile

Difficultyear2015 Sat 24-Dec-16 19:26:46

I was nervous too. I hasent been with DP for even a year, not married and my family is catholic.

But they were over he moon for us

daimbar Mon 26-Dec-16 20:41:47

Hey OP how did it go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now