Talk

Advanced search

I just noticed the Brie is made from pasteurised milk...

(10 Posts)
LillyBugg Sat 24-Dec-16 15:07:12

I can therefore eat it yes??? Pleeeeeease!!

LillyBugg Sat 24-Dec-16 15:09:39

Oh I think google has answered my question with a no. Booooo.

MarjorySunshineDust Sat 24-Dec-16 15:10:17

I think the listeria risk is to do with the way it is mound ripened rather than
pasteurisation.

Sorry! I feel your pain at 34 weeks. You can have cooked Brie/Camembert though! And Stilton is ok so not all bad news!

MarjorySunshineDust Sat 24-Dec-16 15:11:15

I'm baking a Camembert and doing Brie and cranberry parcels over Christmas smile

wildone81 Sat 24-Dec-16 15:19:47

Midwife told me I couldn't have it even if it was cooked.... so much conflicting advice and I just want a great big oozy Brie and cranberry panini 😕

welshweasel Sat 24-Dec-16 15:21:49

You can 100% have it cooked

LillyBugg Sat 24-Dec-16 15:25:50

Right I'm going to have a baked Camembert. And I'm going to stab DH if he eats the Brie in front of me. I think that's a fair compromise.

carabos Sat 24-Dec-16 15:36:05

The risk of listeria is vanishingly small. You're much, much more likely to be hurt in a car accident and I bet that risk is one you're willing to take, even on occasions when you could avoid it. The scaremongering about food risks in pregnancy is utterly ridiculous.

MarjorySunshineDust Sat 24-Dec-16 16:07:35

Yeah I pretty much agree carabos I think listeria outbreaks are more often associated with things like bagged salads than cheese.

wildone NHS says cooked is fine as well as hard blue cheese like stilton. Ignore the midwife!

gigi556 Sat 24-Dec-16 21:38:32

I completely agree. The advice around food is ridiculous. Be cautious obviously as you are more sensitive when pregnant. I was up the other night with vomiting and diarrhea from something I ate at a restaurant and it wasn't soft cheese. I think it was chicken... Use your nose, it'll tell you what you should and shouldn't eat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now