Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Strep B. what to expect?

(5 Posts)
MrPoppersPenguins Fri 23-Dec-16 18:35:11

I'm 29 weeks pregnant with my 2nd and a recent swab discovered I'm a Strep B carrier. I will have the antibiotics in labour but am still worried about the chances of the baby being infected and how it might impact on my labour (e.g. Able to use birthing pool?). Can anyone share their experiences? Thanks.

littledinaco Fri 23-Dec-16 21:38:21

gbss.org.uk/

This website has a helpline OP, they are really good and can answer any questions.

The antibiotics are usually given every 4 hours. You have a canula which is connected to a drip to administer the antibiotics (canula can feel quite uncomfortable and obviously you've got to stay still while they fit it which can be difficult and stressful while having contractions)!
It can be capped so you can get in the pool but I think you have to get out to get next dose given. Different hospitals may have different policies so best to check.

I think even without antibiotics the risk of baby getting gbs is low (1 in 200) I think????
Risk factor also changes with different things such as if waters go early/labour early/if previous Baby has step b, etc.

There are also downsides of antibiotics, such as increased risk of thrush to baby which may be worth considering particularly if you are looking to breastfeed.

Have a good read of the risks and effects of antibiotics.
If you do decide you want them, make sure you arrive at the hospital in plenary of time as you will need them 4 hours before delivery to be effective and if hospital is busy you may have to wait for them to be signed off, etc.

Hospitals will usually want to wait until your in established labour or waters break.

Also worth considering - not allowing any internal examinations? This increases your infection risk. Have a read about other ways midwife can tell if you're in established labour.

Some hospitals will want to augment labour 12 hours (may be sooner??)after waters break. You may also want to research risks of this.

May be worth having meeting with consultant/senior midwife to discuss your options.

MrPoppersPenguins Fri 23-Dec-16 22:17:32

Lots of things to consider I hadn't even thought of so thank you for your help. I will be breastfeeding and hadn't thought of thrush. Will internal examinations increase the risk of infection to the baby or to me? And I'm assuming that having a sweep could be problematic too??
A lot more to think of than I'd anticipated.

littledinaco Fri 23-Dec-16 23:17:14

I know, there's so much to consider and no definate answers, you've got to try and balance the different risks. It's really hard trying to decide what to do for the best.

As far as I'm aware, internal examinations defiantly increase the risk of infection, same with seeeps. A lot of midwifes who do home births do not do any internals. Many feel that it's not a good indication of how far you've got to go. You could have two women in labour-one 2cm and the other 8cm and the 2cm could deliver first.

Did your first have gbs or have you just tested positive? I think your at a higher risk of passing it on if have had a previous baby with gbs. Also, don't forget it comes and goes so you could be tested today and it shows positive but tested again next week and its negative.

MrPoppersPenguins Sat 24-Dec-16 08:43:53

Wasn't aware of it in first pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now