Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Mam smoking upstairs and I am downstairs

(10 Posts)
peanut2017 Fri 23-Dec-16 11:37:08

Hi there, just popped into my parents to see them as we are going to PIL for Christmas. She smokes and lit one up in the kitchen first and I asked her to stop. 40 mins later she lit up another one in kitchen, walked up the stairs then and is smoking in the bathroom now. Totally appreciate it's her house but I'm 6 months pregnant and feel this isn't nice to do?

thecatsarecrazy Fri 23-Dec-16 13:14:02

My mum and nan do this. I visit my nan on Christmas eve, been pregnant twice over Christmas and they stood around chain smoking. I'm pregnant again now and they vape. I'm not very happy about that either.

peanut2017 Fri 23-Dec-16 13:32:40

I know it's a different generation and my mother smoked on all 5 of us & just thinks we are all grand so what's the big deal! Even if she just smoked in one area near a window

WynterBlossom Fri 23-Dec-16 13:43:41

My friend smokes when I go round, not a lot but has a few.

I wouldn't dream of asking them not to in their own house.

I also view it as, I'm breathing in pollution ever second of everyday, being around a smoker occasionally isn't so bad....especially when there are pregnant women right now lighting up!

AngelaKardashian Fri 23-Dec-16 13:44:59

DM does this with my newborn around. I can't say too much as it's her house but it does my nut.

Oysterbabe Fri 23-Dec-16 14:08:11

I wouldn't go round tbh I'd invite them to mine. I wouldn't take my baby to a house where people smoke inside either.

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Fri 23-Dec-16 14:19:26

If the smoker sticks to smoking on a different floor of the house, is it really a huge deal?

MouseLove Sat 24-Dec-16 20:25:18

I am absolutely DREADING this with my MiL. We are TTC our first baby and my MIL chain smokes so badly that we can be in her house for 5 mins and our clothing STINKS of smoke. They had to paint their ceilings brown because of the discolouring. I really don't want to take a baby into that environment because while I think she might smoke outside, I still think the house would stink of smoke. I think she would smoke around me if I were pregnant too.

I really hope you can convince your mum to please smoke outside, if only while you're there. Beg her!!

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 25-Dec-16 17:32:37

Their home they can smoke in it

Tho personally feel people should smoke in their garden

You choose to go there so I wouldn't go to theirs while preg /with baby /toddler if CLOthes etc stink so much in 5mins if being there

CalleighDoodle Sun 25-Dec-16 17:35:18

mouse just dont go there. It isnt that difficult. Even if they didnt smoke while you are actually there, the stink is already in fhe house.

peanut just leave. Youve been there long enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now