Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

I had my first leg cramp!!! 4 hours ago, why is it painful to walk?

(11 Posts)
Nikki2ol6 Fri 23-Dec-16 03:38:27

I was very rudely awoken from my sleep by an awful pain in my calf!! I stretched my toes and lifted my foot up and moved it around and it died off. Iv been up for the toilet twice since then and it hurts where the pain was when I walk. Is that normal?

endofthelinefinally Fri 23-Dec-16 04:26:34

I think that as you are pregnant you should just read this NHS information link, just to be on the safe side:

www.nhs.uk/conditions/Deep-vein-thrombosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

MyBlackCat Fri 23-Dec-16 04:30:49

I had this, felt about 90 years old when trying to get out of bed after a spasm in the night. Keep well hydrated, I inly got the cramps when I hadn't drunk enough.

Spudlet Fri 23-Dec-16 04:50:58

A really bad cramp can hurt for a while afterwards. I got them when I was dehydrated too - maybe you need more water! Hope it feels better soon smile

Nikki2ol6 Fri 23-Dec-16 05:10:48

I was so thirsty last night too and drank gallons Iv been up and down all night peeing lol

BearGryllsHasaBigRope Fri 23-Dec-16 05:22:40

I had a leg cramp when I was pregnant that hurt got about 3 days afterwards. It was brutal!

goldleaf123 Fri 23-Dec-16 05:29:05

Make sure you're bending your feet up, rather than down, when you stretch out.

Bumbleclat Fri 23-Dec-16 05:50:22

Yes I found this happened and my leg was sore especially when up and down stairs for about a week. The muscle can get a bit bruised after bad cramp.
Try to pull your foot towards your knee rather than point your toes down.

Bumbleclat Fri 23-Dec-16 05:51:08

My midwife said to drink bitter lemon or tonic water and eat salty food.

RedStripeIassie Fri 23-Dec-16 05:56:36

I had hidious leg cramps throughout
Pregnancy and the leftover pain could last for days. Heat patch stickers under a long sock helped and just loads of water. I'd forgotten about that side effect of pregnancy till now.

wilfrhodes Fri 23-Dec-16 10:07:36

eat bananas.
lie down with your legs propped up on 4-5 cushions (higher than your heart).
drink as much water as you can and don't go for any prolonged length of time without doing so.

it is awful and so frustrating. you have my sympathies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: