Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gestational diabetes and want to go over due date

(8 Posts)
Saku Thu 22-Dec-16 18:41:01

I am 39 w .. with GD.. my due date is January 3rd.. but my midwife and doctors look impatient and want to book me in for induction.
from last week check up itself she told me about it and told that they want to induce me before my due date..
I am doing good with my GD.. numbers look in control.. and last time doctor was also happy with it. But midwife said in next check up she would like to fix induction date. I told but I want to wait till my due date as every thing is fine GD and movements are OK (I would prefer my baby in January.. near due date but I am not stiff)
second I dont want to be induced .. as DS1 was induced and it was 14 hours horrible labour.. I want to give my body little time to get natural labour kick in..(dont have problem to get number of sweeps)
but she scared me saying that "As you wish if you dont want induction then we will write that on your book .. that you know there is risk of stillbirth because you have GD.. still you want to wait." sad

in between for some reason when I called her .. she asked me.. ohh have I not booked you in for induction till now??.. then I reminded her that we agreed to wait until my next check up... confused

I thought that with GD also .. if everything is fine .. they need to offer induction only after due date or 41 w.

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Thu 22-Dec-16 18:57:39

NICE suggest 40+6 for induction for uncomplicated GD. I personally didn't find their evidence convincing. It seems from some large studies the risk of stillbirth outweighs the risk of neonatal death in GD at 39 weeks. However the risk is still tiny and the evidence is not clear. I opted for induction at 39+2 but went into labour the day before. It's entirely your choice.

lougle Thu 22-Dec-16 19:00:37

Nobody can make you do anything. However, they will not be suggesting induction for convenience. It's a balance of risks. GD increases the risk to your baby and going over dates increases that risk.

sj257 Thu 22-Dec-16 19:20:47

I would take their advice completely. GD can make the placenta stop working earlier. There is a real risk by going overdue IMO.

Buttwing Thu 22-Dec-16 19:23:22

I thought there is a higher chance of placental failure with Gd? I had it with dc2 I was also told I was at a much higher risk of cord prolapse as I had excess water.
I had an induction at 38 weeks it was a no brainier for me I just didn't see the point in taking even the tiniest risk.
You stand a much better chance of a straight forward induction if it's not your first baby.

Izzy24 Thu 22-Dec-16 19:26:19

Advice as above.

Also, induction is more likely to go well when you've already had a baby.

Saku Thu 22-Dec-16 22:56:42

thanks for your valuable advice..
As I said I am flexible for it .. but at least I want to give it a wait till my due date.. though I will definitely ask sweeps before getting induced...
Is it not worth waiting even 40 weeks ?

lougle Thu 22-Dec-16 23:04:51

I wouldn't go as far as 40 weeks if you are advised to be induced earlier. But that is because I'm aware of some very sad situations where women have delayed induction (sometimes by choice and other times because the unit became too busy) and lost their baby between monitoring sessions. It is rare. But it does happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now