Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had a filling while pregnant?

(12 Posts)
Obsessedalready Wed 21-Dec-16 13:42:33

I'm about 6 weeks and was told before I knew I was pregnant that I needed two fillings and booked an appointment for Jan. I will be about 9/10weeks when the fillings are due to be done.

Basically I'm worried it will harm the baby, anyone had fillings while pregnant? Shall I hold off and book an appointment in 2nd trimester? I have very minor twinges in the teeth so I'm not sure I can wait till the baby is here.

Can anyone put my mind at rest? As in they had a filling while pregnant and the baby was fine!

Welshy11 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:45:07

I recently had a root canal and Crown and I am now 22 weeks pregnant. Just speak to your dentist and they will offer the best advice. Some prefer not to use certain numbing medicines etc. I waited until after 12 weeks but I wasn't in pain. Not much help I'm sorry x

Cosmomouse Wed 21-Dec-16 13:47:23

I did last week at 9 weeks, i'm sure there is no harm to be done.

In fact the stress from toothache could be argued to be much worse!

Obsessedalready Wed 21-Dec-16 13:51:45

Ok good, did you have an amalgam or white one? The pain isn't bad but it's more that it's looming over me and I just want to get it sorted! I'm not bothered about cosmetics but have heard silver fillings are bad while pregnant. Not sure if that's an old wives tale though!

Flanderspigeonmurderer Wed 21-Dec-16 14:02:05

I had one done when I was very early on. The dentist never mentioned any risk to the baby. It was a white one as it's on my lower set of teeth and I didn't want to amalgam showing.

choccyfiend78 Wed 21-Dec-16 14:04:55

I had a couple of fillings done while pregnant as your get free dental care which I didn't have before. The only thing they said was about being careful with or not doing X-rays but everything else was fine

tappitytaptap Wed 21-Dec-16 14:05:54

I had a filling whilst pregnant, baby is fine! My dentist had 5 kids so I figure she knows what she is doing grin

Obsessedalready Wed 21-Dec-16 14:19:46

Ok good, I am reassured! I'll prob mention it to my midwife in my booking in appointment but I sounds like it will be fine to keep my appointment smile

babynelly2010 Wed 21-Dec-16 17:07:13

It is fine but better to have this done in second trimester when baby is fully formed if you are having anaesthesia of any kind.

BobbyNoggle Wed 21-Dec-16 17:46:10

Can't have amalgam placed while pregnant. If you need to have any old amalgam drilled out of either of the 2 teeth (to prepare for new filling), it will have to be done under rubber dam.
If neither cavity is suitable for composite filling material and only amalgam can be used; then your dentist will probably place 2 long-term temporary fillings until after you've given birth.
It is fine to take radiographs during pregnancy if the patient has an emergency-toothache/ facial swelling etc- as benefit outweighs risk. However, any routine radiographs have to be delayed until after the birth.
HTH- just tell your dentist and they'll sort it out.
Also it is fine/safe to have local anaesthesia during pregnancy; you must always remember to eat before any dental appointment that you will be having Local Anaesthesia at. You should always do this anyway (fainting risk) but it is doubly important during pregnancy.

LuckyinOctober Wed 21-Dec-16 19:49:44

I'm another one who had fillings done in the first trimester, including one of the ordinary NHS variety and others that were white. I had injections to numb the area which the dentist verified was safe and no X-rays. My pregnancy has been complication free so far, I'm now 34 + 2. My dentist assured me all was absolutely safe, and I'd echo the point made by someone above that stress and pain might be more likely to do damage through increasing your stress/ BP/ temperature in the event you got an infection through avoiding it. My dentist also has several children and I was happy to trust her professional judgement that it was safe and have the treatment.

Lunalovepud Wed 21-Dec-16 21:43:43

When I was pregnant with DC1, I had an amalgam filling fall out... I had it replaced with a white one same day, the dentist wasn't concerned at all and my baby is absolutely fine. Speak to your dentist - times and fillings have changed since this no fillings guidance was first published!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now