Talk

Advanced search

Second pregnancy...Is labour process quicker

(15 Posts)
Laineylou26 Wed 21-Dec-16 08:47:47

Hi ladies
I have just found out I am exspecting my second. I am only around 7-8weeks.
Just wanted a little insight to second babies labour/delivery?
I'm a long way off but already playing on my mind 🙈😂
My first now 5 was overdue +42 I had to be induced which tbh I would do anything to avoid this time around. Took 3 days of contracting with the jels but no progress as I wasn't dilating so a long process before actual labour kicked off but then his delivery was straight forward I sure they wrote it down on my notes as just over 30mins pushing!
I was just wondering of other ladies experiences of their second if was quicker than their first smile x

girlandboy Wed 21-Dec-16 08:51:35

Congratulations!
In answer to your question, no my second took twice as long. Labour and birth. Everything was just slower.

Laineylou26 Wed 21-Dec-16 08:57:05

Thanks you @girlandboy

Oh no really 🙈
I've just got this feeling I'm going to have to be induced again which I really don't want as it was just so slow and really long process..

I read a few blogs that say as your body has already been through it the second time is sometimes quicker Im not too worried in the delivery itself as my last experience was pretty okay just getting to that point x

mrsbarnettsbaby Wed 21-Dec-16 08:57:13

Was a lot quicker for me. First labour 4 hours, 2nd 45 minutes - she flew out! Was a planned homebirth.

girlandboy Wed 21-Dec-16 09:02:48

There's no reason why your second might go the same way.
I was expecting my second to be similar but nothing was the same (apart from a lovely baby at the end!)
My second was nearly 3lbs heavier so I always blamed that!
I am not a medic so I don't think that could be proved!!

Laineylou26 Wed 21-Dec-16 09:02:56

Oh really @mrsbarnettbaby I wouldn't mind that happening to me 😂

My first labour was marked down as 4hrs 30 odd mins with a pushing time of 30mins but they don't include the 3days before as it wasn't (established labour) just them trying to induce me. I had full contractions the whole 3days just no dilation x

ferriswheel Wed 21-Dec-16 09:04:39

1st labour, 18 hours
2nd labour, 2 hours
3rd labour, 13 minutes

Laineylou26 Wed 21-Dec-16 09:06:49

@girlandboy I've heard all labours are different was just hoping it was less than more lol

Either way baby has to come out so I'm just going to have to deal with it 😂

aaahhhBump Wed 21-Dec-16 09:07:40

Congratulations! As you said it's ages away. I went thinking it would be similar. Induced at midnight and 1st didn't appear till after 11 in the morning.

2nd Induced at midnight about 1am I was fed up of the bars and the ball and lay on the bed thinking might a small well try for a kip. 45 minutes later 2nd was here. So you never know. grin

Chasingsquirrels Wed 21-Dec-16 09:09:32

Mine was;
Dc1 - 2 hours
Dc2 - less than 15 minutes

Laineylou26 Wed 21-Dec-16 09:13:24

@ferriswheel how quick was your 2nd and 3rd x

@aaahhhBUMP I know still away to go 🙈😂 with my first I didn't even think of labour until it was time to was quite relaxed about it really till they induced me think it's kinda left a little scare tbh because this time as soon as I feel the double lines I thought labour haha.. But hopefully this experience all be same as you guys x

Equimum Wed 21-Dec-16 09:13:51

With DS1 I started having contractions five minutes apart at 7am on the Saturday. He finally arrived at 11.45 on the Sunday morning (nearly 29h).

DS2 was back-to-back so the midwife said I wasn't progressing as quickly as she'd have expected. First definite contractions at about 9pm. DS arrived at 5.30 next morning.....so much quicker.

Congratulations x

Laineylou26 Wed 21-Dec-16 09:52:57

@Equimum that was a difference x

Thanks all for your comments smile

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Wed 21-Dec-16 12:03:19

I wish it was but for me my second labour was two days which was four times as long as the first. I'm not having another.

thecatsarecrazy Wed 21-Dec-16 19:27:51

No my first was pretty straightforward and petty much on due date.
2nd 10 days overdue, back to back and long painful labour. Now expecting number 3 and this one is currently b2b too. People kept telling me 2nd so much easier I knew not to listen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now