Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Married whilst pregnant

(22 Posts)
belle22 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:27:30

Hi everyone! Me and OH were planning on getting married next year and we've just found out we are expecting another baby which we are sooo excited about. We are just wondering whether to still get married early next year or wait until after baby is here. Baby is due in September 2017. I just wanted to know if anyone had any good or bad experiences getting married whilst pregnant!?

Grateful for any advice!

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:41:19

I got married at seven months pregnant! Its really not a big deal, think you might be over thinking ;) In my case I knew we would struggle to find the spare money, time for organization, me wanting to get back to my pre preg weight etc after baby was born and chances are we would end up being an eternally engaged couple so we went for it.

It was exactly like a non pregnant wedding. I have a few pics with my flowers in front of my bump so as not to have it as the focus of every single photo, but that was about it! What are you worrying about in particular? x

belle22 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:52:05

'toomuchtimereadingthreads2016' << love the name!

I think I actually want to get married whilst I am pregnant but OH would rather wait however I am in the same mind that you are in the fact I feel as though we would be eternally engaged! We want 4 children so I feel like after this baby is born we would struggle to fit a wedding in between me being baby weight down and financially stable ect!

PeachBellini123 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:52:23

I know this isn't terribly romantic but being married does make things easier legally with a baby. He'd also be able to register the birth which non-married father can't do.

Probably not what you are thinking about but gives you all legal protection.

alotlikeChristmas16 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:54:08

oooh get married - once you have the baby you'll have even less time, plus I think it'd be a lovely pre baby trip. Also I agree, boringly, the sooner you get married when DC are on the scene, the better from the legal protection standpoint.

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Tue 20-Dec-16 11:57:37

I was happy with my choice smile In our case it was our first baby and we weren't engaged beforehand so it looked even more gunshot but I couldn't have cared less, for me it was the practical things I mentioned above and in retrospect I was right... Organising DDs christening and finding something I liked to wear was stressful enough to make me certain I had made the right choice about the wedding!

cookiefiend Tue 20-Dec-16 12:20:04

I was married in April- was due in September. I chose a dress with a lace up back and the dress alterer made it lace all the way (initially had a zip lower down) and put a wider panel under the lace up bit so it didn't matter if I got a bit wider. i regretted my choice of high healed shoes by the end of the day.

Other than that it was no different to getting married whilst not pregnant a. And better than trying too plan a wedding with a young baby.

Congratulations!

alotlikeChristmas16 Tue 20-Dec-16 14:20:56

the chances of the baby not barfing on you on your wedding day...in fact I recall that exactly happened to my poor Dsis, and DD was terribly sick at a friend's wedding we went to at around 10 months old and barfed all over DH!

ImYourMama Tue 20-Dec-16 14:33:30

I was 18 weeks pregnant on our wedding day, when our baby was born, we all had the same surname and didn't have to spend maternity leave planning and saving for a wedding. If you can afford it, do it! I didn't miss the drink and if you do it second trimester, you should feel good smile

Patienceandchocolate Tue 20-Dec-16 23:09:23

I really wish that we had married before DS1 was born.

My dress was really slippy and it had complicated fastenings. I could barely hold him and feeding was difficult. I spent our vows feeling sick and panicky because I could hear him crying for me, but I could not go to him. I am very glad that we are married, but I can honestly say that my wedding day was horrible.

MummyStep123 Tue 20-Dec-16 23:11:42

A friend of mine got married late in her pregnancy, her dress was absolutely beautiful and they have gorgeous wedding photos of the two of them and bump flowers

MummyStep123 Tue 20-Dec-16 23:12:18

To be fair you hardly get to drink on your wedding day anyway! It's everyone else that gets drunk!

MargaretCabbage Tue 20-Dec-16 23:19:09

We'd just booked our wedding when I found out I was pregnant, and I was about six months pregnant on the day. I'm glad we did it then, we had a brilliant day. I can't imagine how hard it would have been to run around organising everything or dealing with a baby on the day for me, though I know people who have done this and had lovely weddings.

Spingroll16 Wed 21-Dec-16 15:31:45

We got married when I was 15 weeks, it was all okay.. a bit uncomfortable with the dress digging into my tiny bump when sat down but nothing major.. smile

Evergreen17 Wed 21-Dec-16 21:52:09

I got married 16 weeks pregnant

smile

sickofTeletubbies Fri 23-Dec-16 22:47:40

I got married at 14 weeks and the only thing that didn't go to plan was my dress. My very fitted fishtail dress was altered 3 times to fit my ever growing bump. I did also have really bad sickness but didn't let that ruin my day. We had an amazing (although exhausting) day and at the end of it I married my amazing husband whixh is all that really mattered. I do look like a swollen elephant in my photos but have a beautiful DD to make up for it.

EdithWeston Fri 23-Dec-16 22:51:34

If you want to get married, do if now.

You'll only end up either vastly more stressed because planning with 2 small DC is somewhat harder than with one. Or just never getting round to it. Which would be a pity as it's something you both want.

CheddarGorgeous Fri 23-Dec-16 22:51:52

Another vote for getting married before the baby arrives. Wrangling small children on your wedding day is no fun.

JunebabyT Fri 23-Dec-16 22:56:43

We found out I was pregnant not long after booking our wedding. Getting married this Feb, baby due in June. I think the timing is fine really!

sickofTeletubbies Fri 23-Dec-16 23:01:25

Oh and forgot to mention. Enjoy your last holiday as a couple. Me and DH worked out that we'll be in our 40s before the next one!

Lemoncurd Fri 23-Dec-16 23:06:59

We got married two months before our eldest was born. No issues at all, definitely easier then than with little ones around. I didn't realise at the time, but apparently some of the wedding guests had't realised I was pregnant! Guess the dress covered the bump well, I didn't have the fitting until a week or two beforehand.

GloriousHarpy Fri 23-Dec-16 23:09:24

I got married ten days before my due date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now