Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I can't take my iron tablets!

(12 Posts)
ginasmith Tue 20-Dec-16 05:25:44

I am 7 months pregnant and been told my midwife and GP numerous times that I have iron deficiency. I tried the pills but the made me vomit! I asked for a different brand and also those made me vomit and unable to eat anything. I feel guilty because I know the baby needs it but I literally can't keep them down. I have tried eating food with iron but I am scared that it may not be enough..

Anyone else suffered from this? Is there any other options? Injection perhaps?

Please advice

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 20-Dec-16 05:34:28

You can buy a liquid iron supplement called Spatone that you add to drinks, maybe this would work better for you?

Don't worry about the baby, the baby is getting what she needs hence you being deficient, it's you who needs it. Please try, I was very anemic with DD1 and shrugged it off......had a massive PPH and it took me a long time to recover.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 20-Dec-16 05:35:40

www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/spatone-original-natural-iron-supplement-60080131?skuid=080131&&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKEAiAp97CBRDr2Oyl-faxqRMSJABx4kh9MHLUuAwj2mqgha7nTNsU6NPfLKS08KRWkw4XnO3NSBoC-yTw_wcB

Severino Tue 20-Dec-16 05:35:49

I used to take Floradix liquid from health food shop. If that doesn't work just overdose on iron rich food. You will feel a lot better too if you can boost your iron levels if they are low.

chloechloe Tue 20-Dec-16 07:26:35

Another tip - iron absorption is increased by Vitamin C, so try to eat iron rich foods with a glass of orange juice or similar.

JungleWait Tue 20-Dec-16 07:38:58

How low are you? Could you request an iron infusion?

Whatsername17 Tue 20-Dec-16 07:49:33

You.have to eat first. The only way I managed it was to have some toast and take it right before I went to sleep. Don't ignore it, go back to the doctors. Low iron made my sil seriously ill in labour and she ended up having to have a blood transfusion.

Bumbleclat Tue 20-Dec-16 09:25:34

I found the same problem with taking iron and opted for just eating loads of greens with orange juice as an accompanying drink to absorb the iron. (I would eat a bag of watercress in the sofa like it was a bag of crisps)
I then had my iron retested and levels were fine!

Nikki2ol6 Tue 20-Dec-16 09:29:45

The baby doesn't need it, the baby has took all yours and you need it, don't worry I cudnt take mine and they gave me a drip in the assessment unit it took 20 minuets and I'm done 😁 I was craving olbas and snuffle babe because my iron was so low think it was 74 everyone kept saying I look so white! But 2 days after my drip I stopped craving olbas and snuffle babe and feel a lot better now 10 days later but they said it takes upto 3 weeks for its full effects. You should ask your midowfe or ring assessment unit and tell them how poorly the tables make you and ask about the one off iron injection/drip

NeverAShadowOfDoubt Tue 20-Dec-16 13:13:57

I too struggled with iron tablets, ferrous sulphate and fumerate. I coukdnt even tolerate one a day so Im keeping my levels up now with apple spatone and a liquid called feroglobin which I buy myself. My levels have been checked recently and are acceptable. I'm 32+4 with twins and my levels were below 90 but were back up to 111 two weeks ago with just the spatone and feroglobin.

Spottyladybird Tue 20-Dec-16 13:17:58

I had to take mine after a carb heavy meal- nothing healthy!
I then ate healthy snacks between meals.

ConvincingLiar Tue 20-Dec-16 19:25:07

Spatone is easy to take and didn't give me the same side effects as iron.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now