Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone been induced early for a large baby?

(19 Posts)
sj257 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:09:29

Just wondering, have had two babies over 10lbs, both induced labours way overdue. This one is looking at being even bigger. Growth scan showed he was just under 6lb at 32 weeks. Last growth scan on Friday at 36+2. I'm guessing he'll be nearly 9lb then! I've had 38 weeks, 39 weeks and term induction mentioned, just wondered about other people's experiences...

MavisTheTwinklyToreador Mon 19-Dec-16 21:14:40

10 pound 4 ounces and 42+3 days, they tried an induction at 38 weeks but my cervix wouldn't open so I was sent home

Grace1980 Tue 20-Dec-16 20:47:58

Interested in this thread as my second daughter was pretty big when born (almost 10lb). I'm currently 27 wks pregnant with my third and feel very anxious about having an even larger baby! I really struggled with the pushing stage before - over 1 1/2 hrs of pushing and I really couldn't get her out! There's was some urgency at the end as there was meconium in the waters and baby's heartbeat slowed. All ended up fine but I do remember the slight panic from all sides. I think i want to be induced no later than 40wks. I'm seeing a consultant on Friday to talk about this, and should also have some growth scans (I think). BUT I'm nervous about induction as I know it raises the chances of assisted delivery etc etc.

Sj257 what are your thoughts on being induced?

Grace1980 Tue 20-Dec-16 20:48:59

Meant to say both my children were 10 days overdue and I feel they packed weight on those last days

sj257 Thu 22-Dec-16 13:13:34

I'm so fed up now at 36+1 that I'd welcome induction if they felt it was needed. Should find out tomorrow x

MavisTheTwinklyToreador Thu 22-Dec-16 13:36:48

Induction is a bit rough, given the option I would have preferred to wait.

sj257 Thu 22-Dec-16 13:38:18

I've been induced twice before, way overdue as my body doesn't seem to go into labour naturally anyway

MavisTheTwinklyToreador Thu 22-Dec-16 13:41:59

sj257, same reason for me, I did wonder if I'd have done it eventually, given more time. But I felt pressed into agreeing as I was accused of risking the babies' well being.

AfternoonNapsAreTheBest Thu 22-Dec-16 13:43:47

Hi, yes, I was for DS2. He'd always measured big for his dates, and I had a scan late on and was induced at 37+4, as there were concerns about his shoulders getting stuck. He was 8lb 5oz, so I'm glad he didn't get an extra few weeks to pile it on!! Good luck!

RandomMess Thu 22-Dec-16 13:50:30

Hmmm tbh the scans are so inaccurate that I wouldn't worry tbh. I tried induction on my due date for DC3 as DC had been 10lb 6oz it was a 3 day event. DC4 I went 2 weeks over again like with the others and she wasn't the largest only 9lb10oz.

The early my induction the worse it was tbh...

sj257 Thu 22-Dec-16 13:56:22

Afternoon naps, how was your induction at 37+4?

It's not really a decision I'm taking lightly, I will discuss pros and cons with the doctor. However I have anxiety about something bad happening in labour if the baby is too big 😞

FrankAndBeans Thu 22-Dec-16 13:57:33

I was induced with both of mine and both were under 4h labours at 39 and 38 weeks. Don't assume induction = horror story, there are good experiences too!

MissBattleaxe Thu 22-Dec-16 14:00:05

I was induced on my due date. DS1 was nearly 11lb. Had to have EMCS in the end.

bluechameleon Thu 22-Dec-16 14:08:00

My DS was big (11lb 11oz) and was the result of an EMCS following induction at 41 weeks (waters broke but no labour). I'm thinking I'll probably ask for an ELCS if our current TTCing works. With DS I'd been to the midwife the day before my waters broke and she said he wasn't engaged at all. I pushed for an hour and he made no progress at all so I'm convinced he wasn't ready to come out.

1wokeuplikethis Thu 22-Dec-16 14:12:24

My first was induced at 42 weeks weighing 9.13 and I was induced for my second at 42 weeks, weighing 10.11.

They said I'd done a big baby once so I could do a big one again confused their estimations were way off!

First induction with 'smaller' baby was horrifically painful. Second induction, not too bad really. The pessary got everything moving within 12hrs and no bastarding drip. Hurrah!

Definitely true ime that your body knows what to do with consecutive births. Good luck op!

sj257 Thu 22-Dec-16 14:27:44

Thank you, my second induction was the same, no drip needed. I was also told second baby wouldn't be as big as my first, they induced me 10 days overdue that time instead of 14 and he was 10lb 8. I am petrified of this one being a pound or more heavier than that though. Will update you tomorrow when I've been to the hospital x

AfternoonNapsAreTheBest Thu 22-Dec-16 23:09:32

Hi, it was fine - well as fine as childbirth can be! I speak from limited experience, went into labour naturally with DS1. They were both pretty quick. There was a bit of faff to get things going when I was induced (1st 2 people who tried to break my waters were unsuccessful, then head midwife got involved and sorted it easily) and I ended up on a drip of whatever it is, but it really wasn't a problem. Good luck with your appointment x

sj257 Fri 23-Dec-16 14:35:05

Rather emotional and deflated after my appointment. Baby is just on the 90th centile, weighing around 7lb10. Doctor just said right we will see you around your due date. All the way through I've been told I won't be allowed to go overdue. She mentioned induction at 12 days over. I'm seeing them at 39+2, possibly for a sweep and a review. Apparently I should actually be meeting my consultant then too (have seen a different doctor every appointment). I won't hold out much hope. My worry is my body doesn't seem to go into labour naturally so it's just delaying the inevitable. Baby's head in an awkward position, bet it won't engage, same as the other two! Grumpy and hormonal and I am hardly sleeping now so the thought of possibly having another nearly 6 weeks of this has tipped me over the edge!

MavisTheTwinklyToreador Fri 23-Dec-16 15:15:26

Sorry you're disappointed but it's probably a blessing in disguise. You must be thoroughly fed up of being pregnant now. Hope you're able to get some rest, it's hard looking after kids and the bump. cake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now