Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I cancel/postpone section?

(3 Posts)
Chocoholic26 Mon 19-Dec-16 00:37:12

So I'm due to have an elective section on Thursday of this week. Unfortunately my ds has contracted hand, foot and mouth and is really quite poorly with it. Fever on Thursday and rash began on Friday. Haven't had a chance to speak to my midwife yet (waiting on her calling tomorrow) but I really just don't know what to do for the best. I gather I could cancel or postpone my section (not due until 30th) and just hope I don't go into labour? I've been trying to do some research on it and although it seems rare, my new born could catch it and again rare, but it could lead to some serious complications. Contagious stages vary from
3-5 days to 7-10 days. Arghhhh should I just cancel? It's making me worry so much. Would be so hard trying to keep ds away from new baby too. Also, I am loaded with the cold and have a horrible cough...could I already have the virus too just without the rash/blisters? Anyone with any advice or past experience of this would be very much appreciated xx

sickofTeletubbies Mon 19-Dec-16 08:21:19

I don't know the exact answer to your question, but DH had H,F&M last year. We are assuming that DD was a carrier as she didn't show any signs. The doctor said that catching H,F&M as an adult is uncommon but not impossible and that it poses no threat to pregnant women. I'd say get hold of your midwife/consultant and seek their advice.

Nikki2ol6 Mon 19-Dec-16 12:27:41

I know it's not the same but my little boy is 2 soon and when he was born he was born at 6am and by 6pm I had sickness and dirhhea.... a virus my mum had picked up on her holiday and passed onto me!! I was terrified my newborn would catch this!! My midwife came the next day and told me he likely would not and he didn't!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now