Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Raspberry leaf tea

(22 Posts)
Dueindecember2016 Sun 18-Dec-16 15:51:51

I've started drinking raspberry tea and wondered if anyone else tried it when close to their due date? How long did you drink it for until you felt any pains/ contractions?

thecatsarecrazy Sun 18-Dec-16 16:07:56

www.babycentre.co.uk/x545986/can-raspberry-leaf-tea-help-to-ease-labour

MuppetsChristmasCarol Sun 18-Dec-16 16:15:37

I drank so much of the stuff from about 3 weeks before my due date as I new I was going to have to be induced and wanted my body to be more ready.

It tastes awful and doesn't work!

Seriously, if the tea had some magic properties that helped ease or start labour then doctors would prescribe it.

scoobydooagain Sun 18-Dec-16 16:20:27

I took the tablets from about 35 weeks, went 2 weeks over, labour very short (1st and only), about 2 hours but that was described as mild contractions so midwifes not ready for delivery (no equipment, did not realise birth imminent), baby born fine, no stitches, no intervention, don't know if anything to do with the raspberry leaf but if I was to have another baby would definitely take them again.

thecatsarecrazy Sun 18-Dec-16 17:32:37

I did drink it last time but d.s was 10 days overdue and was a long and painful labour

m33r Sun 18-Dec-16 17:54:24

I drank loads of it. Was a week early and laboured in 4hours 55 mins. Am pregnant again and will be drinking it again xx

Happilymarried155 Mon 19-Dec-16 13:41:45

I drank it from about 32 weeks I think. Went into labour 1 week early, quick labour. I dont know if it helped but I will definitely be drinking it again! X

Bee182814 Mon 19-Dec-16 14:12:06

I took it too late with first baby for it to help but second baby I drank the tea from 34 weeks and took the capsules as well. I had a short labour of about 3 hours 50mins and contractions were really regular and ramped up quickly after they started. I went 4 days over though. I feel like they did help but as others have said, doctors would prescribe it if it was proven to be that good. The capsules are much stronger than the tea.

Trifleorbust Mon 19-Dec-16 14:27:44

Isn't it dangerous before full term?

gamerchick Mon 19-Dec-16 14:30:54

No it doesn't bring on labour, it's supposed to give a shorter pushing stage. That's all.

MysticTwat Mon 19-Dec-16 14:35:27

I drank it last few weeks of both pregnancies.

Labour for first pregnancy 8 hours pushing 15mins.

Labour for secondary pregnancy 6 hours pushing less then couple of minutes.

Other factors though are, I walked and stayed upright through labour. Had done exercises pre labour to ensure baby wasn't back to back, also my labours could be down to pure luck.

MavisTheTwinklyToreador Mon 19-Dec-16 14:42:17

Boak! Both mine had to be induced 42 weeks plus a few days. The tea did nothing, the pineapples did nothing, the curries did nothing. I just got flatulence grin

Hope you're doing well, Dueindecember2016.

HughLauriesStubble Mon 19-Dec-16 14:50:15

I drank the tea from 27 weeks with dd. Labour was relatively short and 'pushing stage' was only 6 minutes, even though I didn't have to actually push, I just bore down and dd practically slid out. The midwife told me afterwards that the rlt makes the contractions more effective. Not sure if there's any truth in it but I'll be drinking it again this time round smile

I started with 1 cup at 27 weeks and was drinking 4 cups a day by full term. I found I grew to like the mucky taste!

Bumbleclat Mon 19-Dec-16 14:56:45

What mucky taste!?! It's bloody lovely! Refreshing, fruity and delicious.

MysticTwat Mon 19-Dec-16 14:59:56

I never found raspberry leaf tea fruity. More like old dishwater taste.

Becciilouisex3 Tue 20-Dec-16 15:01:18

The tea doesn't induce labour but apparently it can help the cervix to soften and some women have reported the believe it shortened their labour.

I drank it from 32 weeks quite a lot because I love fruit tea anyway. Don't think it initially softened my cervix as when my waters broke, my cervix was quite hard still. However, when I went into labour, I went from 1.5cm - 10cm and pushing in about 6-6/12 hours with my First which is relatively quick i suppose! x

Becciilouisex3 Tue 20-Dec-16 15:03:08

Must add my pushing phase was not factored into that and took over 1 1/2 hours as baby was back to back and at a really bad angle. Had to have the suction cup as baby was in bad shape oxygen wise so it didn't help me there at all. Neither did the birthing ball to turn him hmm

eatingtomuch Tue 20-Dec-16 15:10:49

I took the capsules at 37 weeks. Both my babies were late. However, no stitches with either and my first was a big baby.
Second baby was delivered very quickly.

Nikki2ol6 Tue 20-Dec-16 16:23:21

I drank it from 37wks with my first. I went into labour in the 39th week!
With my second I did not drink it at all, I also went into labour in the 39th week

soundsystem Tue 20-Dec-16 18:21:40

I drank it from 36 weeks with my first. She was born at 39+4, 4.5 hour labour. Not sure if the tea had anything to do with it!

Going to drink it again this time but waiting until I stop work at 38+4 as don't want to jinx this one arriving too promptly!

ZoSanDesu Tue 20-Dec-16 18:34:36

I took the capsules from 38 weeks with both sons. DS1 was a week late, DS2 bang on my EDD.

From what I understand, the raspberry leaf helps tone your uterus in preparation for the contractions. The uterus is then able to work more efficiently at moving the baby in prep for birth. I had two quite quick labours at four hours and an hour and a half respectively, so if we go for a third, I would take it again! Hope that helps

crumble82 Tue 20-Dec-16 18:41:18

I couldn't stand the tea so took the capsules instead (from about 37 weeks). My DD was born on her exact due date, labour was 4.5 hours. Everyone in my NCT group who took them had short labours (longest was 6.5 hours). I'm taking them again at the moment in preparation for my 2nd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now