Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So confused about scan, help!

(15 Posts)
blackheartedone Sun 18-Dec-16 13:30:52

Hello I'm new, but have been lurking for a long time.
I found out I was pregnant on the 12th November, and originally thought my cycles were pretty bang on. I use an app so looked at the analysis report and actually they were all over the place, most recently 28,35,28,31,25 days.

Anyway, based on my LMP I thought I was 9 weeks exactly. I had an early private scan and it only measured 6 weeks (said the embryo was 4.3mm) and no visible heartbeat yet, although sonographer said at 6 weeks not always visible.

However the dates being so out worried them and they primed me that I might have a miscarriage and have referred me the EPU to have another scan to check growth. I spoke to the EPU and they have basically said it probably stopped growing. I've seen this happen a lot on this forum, and quite recently too, and everyone it happens to seems to go along with that line of thought, that's all over. (Sorry for anyone reading this who has suffered the same I don't mean to sound insensitive I am just very confused as private scanner was a bit concerned but said miscarriage may not happen so I'm not sure what to think).

Just wondered if its actually possible to be three weeks out? Seems like an awful lot to me, but the fact that my cycles are a bit haywire made me wonder. Has anyone else had a positive outcome with this or has it all been negative? Just trying to get myself in the right mindset for when I got back as I've got to wait two and a half weeks now because of christmas sad

blackheartedone Sun 18-Dec-16 15:00:29

Anyone? sad

Lelliot Sun 18-Dec-16 15:32:22

My last pregnancy I was sure of my dates, but when I went for my scan I was told I was 2.5 weeks less than I thought. As the pregnancy progressed they had concerns as baby was measuring big at my 20 week scan and they worried about gestational diabetes. I didn't have it and they said to expect a big baby.

DD was born 3 weeks "early". 7lb 6oz. I'm sure the first scan was just wrong!

Hope it all works out OK for you.

GreedyDuck Sun 18-Dec-16 15:49:03

I had a scan at what should have been 8.5 weeks a couple of weeks ago. I was very sure of my dates. The embryo was measuring barely 6 weeks although there was a hb. At a follow up scan a week later they confirmed that it was shrinking and that the hb had disappeared.

I am currently waiting to have surgical management on Weds, but have just started bleeding.

I think that, unfortunately, if you are fairly sure of your dates, a 2/3 week difference in size is rarely good news. I will keep everything crossed for a better outcome for you though.

blackheartedone Sun 18-Dec-16 16:10:08

Thank you both for replying I really appreciate it.
I guess I was hoping my wacky cycles and maybe slow implantation may account for it but three weeks is a long time.

blackheartedone Sun 18-Dec-16 18:19:55

Lelliot just a quick question, when did you find out you were behind on your dates (according to scan)

3littlebadgers Sun 18-Dec-16 18:28:26

I was convinced of my dates, as I'd tracked my temperature and used ovulation tests, but experienced early bleeding and the epu scan found sac and no heartbeat and was a good two weeks behind. I was heart broken, but he is now a busy 11 month old happily crawling around the floor. flowers good luck op

Lelliot Sun 18-Dec-16 19:00:50

It was my 12 week scan. I was only measuring 9.5 weeks. I then went back 3 weeks later and was still measuring behind. Next scan was 20 weeks and that's when the hoo-ha about her being massive started as she was measuring big. Probably about as big as she should have been going by my original dates!

haveacupoftea Sun 18-Dec-16 20:25:26

I had to go to EPU at 8+5 and they measured me at 8+0. At my 12 week scan I was measuring bang on 12 weeks. So there is a margin of error there.

blackheartedone Sun 18-Dec-16 22:38:38

3littlebadgers how far along were you when you were measured behind?
thanks to everyone who has shared their stories. I think maybe for me there are just too many factors - measuring small and lack of heartbeat- that will mean it's a bad outcome but I appreciate people sharing their stories all the same.

Rosieumbrella Mon 19-Dec-16 07:08:23

I had this with my last pregnancy. When I was 8 weeks I had bleeding and cramping so GP sent me to epu for a scan. They told me that the pregnancy measured 6 weeks and that I either had my dates wrong or would miscarry. The bleeding stopped 2 days later and when I was still getting positive pregnancy tests 2 weeks later I booked in with the midwife who sent me for another scan. That time by 'my dates' I should have been 12 weeks and I think they scanned me as 11+4 so only 3 days behind instead of 2 weeks so I had made up a week+4 somewhere along the way! Baby is now 12 months. I think it can go either way when having dating scans, only time will tell. Good luck with your pregnancy, I hope you get good news at your next scan.

whyistherumgone Mon 19-Dec-16 09:59:36

I'm experiencing almost exactly this right now
Should be 9, measuring 6 with no heartbeat. My midwife seemed pretty sure, she looked really sad for me.
I think if there was a heartbeat I might be able to convince myself it might be OK, but I'm pretty sure they're just getting me in for another scan to confirm the bad news.

It's such a shit time and not knowing 100% is the worst, even if you feel like you have a gut instinct either way. Hoping your story has a positive outcome.

Were you sure of your dates Rosieumbrella?

Hope you're doing OK Greedy x

whyistherumgone Mon 19-Dec-16 10:00:35

And was there a heartbeat at 6 weeks Rosie?

I'm really glad you had a happy outcome smile

Rosieumbrella Mon 19-Dec-16 12:33:18

Yes there was a heartbeat at the six week scan for me which gave me more hope. I think six weeks is the earliest you can expect a heartbeat though so a few days can make a difference. I was fairly sure of my dates because I had a non sleeping 14 month old at the time so knew when I must have conceived! Waiting is awful, I hope you find out soon either way. Fingers crossed that you have a healthy heartbeat at your next scan.

whyistherumgone Mon 19-Dec-16 12:50:47

Thanks for replying smile
I think for me lack of heartbeat combined with the big time difference and the midwife's lack of optimism is making me gear up for the worst, but thanks for your kind wishes x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now