Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So hungry I feel ill

(13 Posts)
BembaNugget Sun 18-Dec-16 12:51:40

I really am in need of some help!

I am six weeks pregnant tomorrow and the past two weeks have been horrific. My metabolism is working so fast that I'm absorbing a whole meal in about an hour and a half. I am constantly waking up throughout the night, having to eat because my stomach is so empty I feel sick.

Is there anything you ladies can suggest? I'm almost at my wits end and I'm so anxious throughout the night because I hate the feeling of an empty stomach. I even tried eating dinner just before bed and it didn't help!

Thanks in advance sad

MrsChrisPratt Sun 18-Dec-16 12:55:08

Crackers by your bed for when you wake
Drink milk/milkshake (be careful of your teeth with the shakes though)
High but 'good' fat food eg avocado, nuts, cheese on toast
Good mix of protein and fats at every meal

I have found the 'no extra calories required til third trimester' to be absolute bollocks if I'm honest. I've been eating like a trojan and am all bump-dont look any different from the back at almost 27 weeks. Listen to your body and give it what it needs.

MavisTheToreador Sun 18-Dec-16 12:55:15

Early pregnancy can be horrible. I used to go through a lot of oat cakes. I don't recall being told to eat more but the hunger seemed to tail off. To be replaced with nausea and heartburn!

MoonlightMojitos Sun 18-Dec-16 13:00:42

I was exactly the same and so we're many others on my thread so don't worry! I did put on almost a stone between weeks 5 and 10 but not put anymore on since as the hunger died down around then (now 16+4). Just try to remember it won't last forever.

I would wake up 3/4am without fail every night in agony from the hunger no matter how late I had dinner. My go-to snack with a glass of milk and toast or rice cakes.

Congratulations and just eat what you need and go with what your body is telling you (as long as it's not chocolate all day long haha)

MavisTheToreador Sun 18-Dec-16 13:05:51

Might be worth being careful with crisps if you're a fan, the salt can mount up.

BembaNugget Sun 18-Dec-16 13:23:51

Thank you all so much! I think I could cry from sheer relief! It's nice to know I'm not alone.

I'll definitely be sure to make sure I'm eating and drinking all of the good fatty stuff and the milkshake and staying away from not so healthy stuff!

MavisTheToreador Sun 18-Dec-16 13:47:33

At least you're in the ravenous phase at Christmas fsmile enjoy!

triggy80 Sun 18-Dec-16 13:55:33

Oh I remember those days!! I was so hungry my own arm looked appetising. I could have given any teenage boy a run for their money in an eating contest. It did go away around four months which stopped me becoming an absolute whale. I now have a 14 month old DS who, despite being a skinny minny, would eat and eat all day if I let him so I blame him entirely for my gluttony because honestly I would never have inhaled a whole box of milk tray in ten minutes normally.... blush

Hellmouth Sun 18-Dec-16 14:05:19

The same thing happened to me in my 1st trimester. I was on 8 meals a day. Just eat what you want and enjoy it, you have a good excuse 😄

Lucinda15 Sun 18-Dec-16 16:16:08

I've just entered the 2nd trimester and have had exactly the same problem in the 1st. I've also been on steroids for history of recurrent mc's which hasn't helped at all as they increase appetite! I tried to eat healthily but was fighting a losing battle; I was grazing all. The. Time. And eating carbs carbs and more carbs. And still had constant nausea, hunger AND bloating all at the same time. Just felt ghastly. I'm 15 weeks today and it's beginning to ease off now....I think?? Anyway. Lots of good tips already on this thread, but I found a good breakfast helped me get off to a good start and not snowball. Usual I had boiled egg on toast, think the protein helped. And I wld take this instant porridge pots to work to eat at my desk when I got there. That then seemed to keep the hunger at bay for a good while. Perhaps u cld try that as an evening snack? Slow release energy cld be good to keep u going a bit longer at night. Good luck and congrats on ur pregnancy x

Mouse14 Sun 18-Dec-16 16:46:26

I'm experiencing the same. Have done since about 7 weeks and currently 10. I find oat cakes are helping and small, regular snacks are the way forward, rather than a big meal...

haveacupoftea Sun 18-Dec-16 20:50:03

I had this early on, one week i was nearly in tears with hunger. I was up at 4am eating bowls of cereal. I also craved full fat coke and it helped take the edge off when i was too sick to eat but so so hungry. Just eat what you fancy and dont feel bad about it. There are many more pregnant women surviving on pringles and satsumas than eating a healthful diet of avacados and nuts in the first trimester.

oldlaundbooth Mon 19-Dec-16 15:47:08

I was like this with DS.

You just have to continually stuff your face with high calorie food. Even in the middle of the night I was having cheese sandwiches, bowls of cereal etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now