Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Brown mucus discharge at 5 weeks

(15 Posts)
cooperbug Sat 17-Dec-16 14:23:44

I'm about 5 weeks + pregnant and feeling very anxious due to a miscarriage a couple of months ago at the same stage.

I've been seen at the early pregnancy unit this week due to right sided pain and they couldn't rule out ectopic. The HCG levels have been rising every 48 hours 348, 1200, 2446 so they feel reassured about this and the pain doesn't seem to be as bad last couple days.

They did a scan when my levels reached 1200 and thought they could see the start of a sac forming but also a ?cyst of some sort on my right ovary so it was inconclusive.

However on Thursday morning I started to spot brown mucus discharge on wiping. I'm anxious as this is how my loss started last time.

Going back for a scan on Wednesday to see what's happening but in the meantime can anyone offer any words of advice?

avengerhart85 Sat 17-Dec-16 15:50:24

I had brown discharge mucus at 5w, 7w, 9w and 13w iv also had red bleeding on and off I'm now 23 weeks they never found a cause but it doesn't always mean the end flowers

Elllicam Sat 17-Dec-16 17:21:25

I had brown discharge at about 5/6 weeks. The midwife thought it might be a bit of implantation bleeding that took a while to come out. I'm now 33 weeks. Good luck I hope all is fine.

cooperbug Sat 17-Dec-16 19:59:41

Thanks for your reply ladies, fingers crossed all is ok at scan on Wednesday. Feels like ages to wait until then.

yellowismyfavourite Sat 17-Dec-16 20:29:30

I had brown and pink discharge almost continually from 5 to 13 weeks and then a small bleed at 15 weeks. It was my cervix being irritated by my hormones. Am now 20 weeks. Good luck for the scan on Weds.

Pinkandwhite Sat 17-Dec-16 20:39:21

I had lots of brown, pink and red mucus until week 16 of my pregnancy with my now 2 year old daughter. It is extremely scary I know but a lot of women experience the same thing and ultimately never know why. I hope it stops really soon for you.

mamarach26 Sat 17-Dec-16 20:48:39

I had a bleed two weeks ago at 5 weeks, went to the epu and had a scan they found a bleed that will mend itself. The nurse said it was common, good luck on Wednesday.

Jaynebxl Sat 17-Dec-16 20:50:17

I had brown mucus at 5 or 6 weeks with both pregnancies. Both resulted in healthy babies. Hope it works out just as well for you.

oneplus2is3 Sun 18-Dec-16 09:42:06

I had this at 6 and 8 weeks. It was twins! Anecdotally loads of twin pregnancies have small bleeds early on. Hope all goes well OP.

cooperbug Sun 18-Dec-16 14:09:01

Thanks for all your replies, seems it quite common then. I'm keeping everything crossed until Wednesday.

Oneplus2is3 twins! I've nearly just choked on my tea x

BridgetDarcy Sun 18-Dec-16 15:54:13

I had this at 6+6. Scared the life out of me. EPU scanned me and got heartbeat. Measurements were spot on too. The Dr saw where the bleed was coming from in my womb. Said it was quite common. Not had it since. Now 14+1.

Christmasbaby16 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:48:46

I had brown loss along with right sided abdo pain (which caused collapse) and I can confirm all was well after 3 weeks off on/off Brown loss usually just after cramping. Our baby boy is now 4 weeks old wink
Good luck and hope all is well at your scan flowers

cooperbug Wed 21-Dec-16 14:33:33

Just an update following my scan this morning.

There was a yolk sac visible and what she think is the start of a foetal pole (2mm) attached to the wall of the sac so definitely in the right place and not ectopic and fingers crossed progressing well for this stage.

They don't want to scan me for another two weeks to see if heart beat can be identified. She was bit vague in terms of how far along I am and said I was probably between 4.5 to 5 weeks which is a bit less than I thought. When will they officially date the pregnancy?

Garethea Wed 21-Dec-16 14:53:58

I had a scan at 5.5 and 6 weeks couldn't date at the first but did at the second. I imagine they will tell you when they can be more sure but the 12 week scan is the official dating scan.

Congratulations smile

Temporaryname137 Wed 21-Dec-16 15:58:01

I had brown mucus a few times in the first 16 weeks or so.

Got a date at about 6 weeks, to be told I was about 10 days behind where I thought I was. DD is now 15 months old!

Any blood is terrifying, but generally brown is usually less likely to be a problem than fresh red/pink.

Congratulations smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: