Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Confusing early scan

(27 Posts)
cremedecacao Sat 17-Dec-16 13:32:10

I found out I was pregnant (unplanned, I have a 9 month old!) two and a half weeks ago. The digital test said 3weeks +(since ovulation), which matched my LMP date of 5weeks+ perfectly.

As I have previously had a missed miscarriage I booked in for an early scan at 7 weeks. A fetal pole, yolk sac and heartbeat were found but it was only measured to be 5 weeks and 4 days. I am very worried I am heading for another miscarriage although the sonographer said all looks well (for a pregnancy of 5+ weeks....).

I get that I could have ovulated late, but how come the Clear Blue test said 3 weeks+ if I wasn't?

Does this look hopeful or not?

LottieL Sat 17-Dec-16 13:40:47

Do you think you could have ovulated late? It does seem odd coupled with the result from the clearblue test.

I only have my own experience to draw on which was spotting at 8 weeks leading to a scan which showed a 5-6 week pregnancy which sadly ended in miscarriage.

Did they say they are going to scan you again? Did they comment on the heartbeat?

BagelDog Sat 17-Dec-16 13:47:38

Clearblue tests work to a pretty broad range so aren't entirely accurate. Can very easily be down to lay ovulation, a longer literal ohase than you realise, lots of variability in these things... all my pregnancies at early scans have come in about a week behind where my dates would put me, one ended in a miscarriage and the other three were fine. The key thing is really how things progress by the next scan. Hope all gogoing s smoothly for you x

cremedecacao Sat 17-Dec-16 13:51:22

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you see a heartbeat? There was no heartbeat or fetal pole with my MMC. I honestly have no idea when I really ovulated as it was all so unplanned. The sonograopher (private) seemed happy enough but I felt a bit fobbed off when she said you don't need to add two weeks to the Clear Blue date. You do, don't you? Another thing- if this is going to end badly, will it affect my milk supply? I am still bf my 9 month old and I will be doubly heartbroken if I lose the baby and then can't feed my first baby sad

cremedecacao Sat 17-Dec-16 13:52:00

*did, not do

cremedecacao Sat 17-Dec-16 13:52:54

Thank you Bageldog. That's hopeful x

LottieL Sat 17-Dec-16 14:07:15

I wonder if the sonographer meant that you don't need to add time once you get to 3+ weeks as there's no indicator after that. For the 1-2 weeks and 2-3 weeks it makes more sense but you could be anything above 3 weeks pregnant with your result, so going by what you think is right is probably best - If that makes sense.

With my mmc there was no fetal pole or heartbeat which is hopefully some comfort to you - it has just as much chance of being ok as going wrong I bet 🙂

You could ask for bloods to be done and get them to check hcg levels if you are concerned, that may go some way to putting your mind at ease.

I'm not sure about BF however, sorry. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along to advice soon. I have my fingers crossed for you!

cremedecacao Sat 17-Dec-16 14:14:47

Lottie- do you mean that a 3+ result would mean 'at least three weeks but could be four or five weeks' rather than meaning five+ weeks as I read it? So confusing! Why do things always have to happen right before Christmas too! My MMC was at Christmas time so that isn't helping. Thank you for your support and sorry you have been through this too x

LottieL Sat 17-Dec-16 14:25:10

Personally I take it as 5+ weeks, I'm fairly sure the instructions for the tests say you need to add 2 weeks so go by that. Try not to fret, it won't help at the end of the day, although I know how hard it is not to worry! I think you stand a good a chance as any of this being ok. Try for a blood test though, that will hopefully give you an idea of how things are progressing if you can. Also, you could try speak to your GP / EPU if you can self refer and explain your anxiety, maybe they will be able to arrange another scan in a weeks time to check how things are going!

And thank you for your kindness also - I am currently 28 weeks pregnant with a very wriggly baby girl, my miracle shortly after the loss 🙂

cremedecacao Sat 17-Dec-16 15:21:46

How exciting!!! Congratulations. I am currently trying to stop my 9 month old miracle biting my nipples 😳. I have a midwife appointment next week so will raise concerns then.

Nikki2ol6 Sat 17-Dec-16 15:31:43

I had this too but I'd had a scan and only a sac and yolk were seen and I was dated 5+2 and told to return in 10days to confirm a heartbeat,these dates matched perfectly so at my next scan I should have been just 7 weeks. But the baby measures 5+5!!! I said no way I'm 7wks now and she kept measuring the baby but it was 5+5. I freaked out!!! But I'm nearly 38wks now

cremedecacao Sat 17-Dec-16 19:14:25

Nikki- that's weird! Did they offer any explanation?

Nikki2ol6 Sat 17-Dec-16 19:33:25

No they didn't all tbey said was your baby has progressed so we have to stop scanning, this was the early pregnancy unit so 3 weeks later I booked a private scan and should have been in the 8th wk but she put me in the 9th wk and my 12wk scan put me in the 13th wk. And he's been growing fairly steady since then. I thought at first you know when I was really freaked out and trying to find a reason for this I thought perhaps my baby was facing the screen rather than being sideways... so basically she wasn't measuring his length but rather his width if that makes sense and I have no idea if that would even work out lol but in my head that's what I told myself as I was so scared I was going to miscarry so I had to find a reason for this and that was what I let myself believe

cremedecacao Sat 17-Dec-16 21:35:47

Oh that's really good news. What a mystery! I'm really hoping my date change is a combination of higher than normal HCG levels leading to an incorrect Clear Blue test (is this possible?) and late ovulation.

MouseLove Sat 17-Dec-16 21:40:15

The clear blue don't say anything higher than 3+ weeks. So realistically a 3+ reading could be ANYTHING over 3 weeks. Sounds promising that you have a nice little heartbeat at 5 weeks. That's pretty rare. Congratulations!!

cremedecacao Sat 17-Dec-16 22:13:22

Thanks Mouse- but don't you still need to add two weeks? I read my 3+ As 5+ a fortnight ago!

Nikki2ol6 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:17:14

Yes 3+ 2wks ago would now make you 7wks but your hcg could just be higher but even if it wasn't that week thing isn't overly accurate I think it's about 70% so try not to read too much into how many weeks it said, mine said 2-3 for aaaaaages when it should have said 3+ but then I read it's not very accurate

Bigbongos123 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:20:05

The problem is that everyone's hcg levels raise differently (whether the pregnancy is successful or not) so if your hcg is reading say just 5 over the range than usually shows 3-4 weeks, but then shows 5+ then I can see why a miscalculation would happen, especially as ovulation is hard to pin point!

Will you plump for another scan?

I think you don't need to worry but of course I'll still be crossing fingers for you!

cremedecacao Sat 17-Dec-16 23:22:30

Thanks Bigbongos. I'm really hoping it's all ok! Just know I'm going to be worrying about his til the next scan! I'd love another scan soon but I can't really afford it. We paid £100 today!

ellesbellesxxx Sun 18-Dec-16 08:51:24

Midwives hate clearblue tests... they are notoriously inaccurate. I didn't get a 3+ reading until I was six and a half weeks... which bearing in mind I am pregnant with twins so you would assume my hcg is rocketing makes no sense at all?!

SprogletsMum Sun 18-Dec-16 08:56:04

I had an early scan with this pregnancy when by my dates I'd be 7 weeks. It dated me as 5 weeks and when questioned they said maybe 6 weeks.
When I went back for my 12 week scan when by their dates I'd be 12 weeks I was 13+1. So my dates which were from a clear blue digital were right it's just hard to be accurate that early on.

cremedecacao Sun 18-Dec-16 09:12:23

That sounds very similar to my scan date of 5 weeks and 4 days sproglet! So you had taken a clear blue test that came up as more pregnant than the scan too? Ellesbelles a few people have now questioned how accurate the CB tests are. I think I should stop being so hung up on this! Just hate all the waiting around!

mistletoeprickles Sun 18-Dec-16 09:37:14

Clear blue date indicators are buggers.
According to my least one I'm 1-2 weeks when I fact I'm 6 weeks with a good sac and hcg of over 7000.
I wouldn't take much notice of them to be fair

elliejjtiny Mon 19-Dec-16 00:33:55

I don't know about the early scan thing as I've never had one that early. I did successfully breastfeed my 11 month old through a pregnancy to 13 weeks, a miscarriage and then another year of breastfeeding before he gave up on his own. That was with him staying with my inlaws for a night twice. So it's definitely possible.

Hopefully you won't have to worry about that though.

cremedecacao Mon 19-Dec-16 15:34:54

That's good that you were able to feed! I haven't noticed much of a change yet touch wood. Sorry to hear about your mc too x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: