Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Constipation help! Ouch

(7 Posts)
UnicornPee Fri 16-Dec-16 13:41:50

Ok sorry for this delightful subject but I am in a pickle.
I'm at work.
Went for a poop (sorry)
And it won't come out. I pushed so much it felt as though a baby was there ready to come out. I've had to stop and waddle back to my desk. Can't leave work til 5pm.

Is this normal
Could it be I will burst my waters and give birth (only 26 weeks)
Can I buy anything to take?

sweetchilli77 Fri 16-Dec-16 14:32:41

Ive had this from day 1 of finding out. I even wrote on here about it.

Im not to fussed about child birth now after what "toilet time" puts me through.

Some ladies recommend prune juice which is ok if you can stomach it.
I take lactulose which i get on prescription but can buy over the counter also.
I also include a high bran cereal and try and get as much fruit and veg. Plus plenty of water!! Saying this i need to do all the above to achieve a pain free toilet visit.

Have fun trying to work out whats best. Its a shitter of time smile

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Fri 16-Dec-16 16:34:56

Good advice above, try prunes, plums, raisins and lots of water then hopefully it will help... I remember having this exact same scenario end of pregnancy last time and thinking it would bring on labour. In the end I strained less to birth my baby!

Marley45 Fri 16-Dec-16 16:45:56

You need to speak to your GP and ask for some stool softeners! I've got a powder you mix with water after having the same problem as you. It was awful!!

TerriB84 Fri 16-Dec-16 17:43:58

Are you taking pregnancy multivitamins? I found constipation a side effect of these (I think it was the iron). I went on holiday around 13 weeks and forgot to take them with me and during that week things were so much better. Not making the connection I started taking them again when I got back and I was back to having problems. I ditched the multivitamin and started taking just vit D and I've been more or less OK for the rest of the pregnancy (currently 37 weeks).

Mommawoo Fri 16-Dec-16 18:33:42

You won't burst your waters but you might get piles or a pelvic floor prolapse (like I did).

Drink lots of water. Literally tons. Never, ever strain but take the male approach of waiting for the poop to fall out by gravity. It might take longer, but its preferable to having to perform a manual extraction after a prolapse (trust me!).

Nottalotta Fri 16-Dec-16 20:10:04

Argh. I had this last time, and have been trying to fend it off this time with daily branflakes and orange juice.

I got to the stage last time where I needed to go, and the poop was right there but wouldn't come out. No previous experience of constipation and was amazed by this.

Now for the tmi bit...... If you can, raise your feet on a small stool while sitting on the loo. If you feel as I did that the poop is there, you can insert a thumb into your vagina, and you'll feel it through the wall. You can gently massage it out.

I'm sorry......... Desperate times

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now