Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gestational Diabetes - Worried

(13 Posts)
LottieL Thu 15-Dec-16 19:12:18

I am due to be tested tomorrow due to a high BMI. No diabetics in my family and no prior pregnancies. My midwife has never mentioned any issues with urine dip tests when I've seen her.

I'm panicking. I'm terrified that I am going to have it. If I am diagnosed with it, what changes will I have to make? Is there anything I could have done to prevent it? Is there any advice or things to keep in mind in case I do have it?

I know it probably sounds mental but I'm really winding myself up about it!

Nikki2ol6 Thu 15-Dec-16 19:17:29

Relax!! If you have it then you keep it under control as best as you can and all will be fine. And my midwife said it doesn't always show up in urine

VioletWillow Thu 15-Dec-16 22:11:28

I've had GD twice, it's not that bad. It's nothing you did, its just what happens to some women. Be glad you're screened, it could be worse if it were uncontrolled and unspotted! You may not even have it yet. If you do have it, you will test your blood sugar every day and be diet controlled, depending on your current diet you may not need to make many changes. I had afternoon tea last week at a nice hotel and was ok (just) on testing after! I will have to have Metformin and later insulin because mine doesn't stay in check, but its just for the pregnancy. Good luck for tomorrow 😊

LottieL Thu 15-Dec-16 22:28:53

Thank you for the well wishes and information about your experience too 🙂 Hoping for the all clear but still stressing myself out silly. Suppose it's a wait and see situation now!

VioletWillow Fri 16-Dec-16 11:12:50

Lottie I totally understand, it knocked me for six last time when I had it, and I was really upset when a well-meaning midwife said oh don't worry, just lay off the chocolate and biscuits and you'll be fine. Yeah I avoided those even before the GTT and was running and cycling most days! The diabetes nurse (if you get a positive) will reassure you that it is nothing to do with diet. Anyway fingers crossed!

LottieL Fri 16-Dec-16 13:03:53

Well, the test is over. Wasn't too bad - got a bit queasy between the second and third round of bloods but after a couple of sips of water it eased massively - hope that isn't a bad sign! Thank you Violet, I think it's the anxiety of diagnosis that is getting me down. I have a midwife appointment next week and I suppose I will get my results then unless it's bad news?

Allthatglitters90 Fri 16-Dec-16 15:33:32

I got my results the day after my test (although was mid week) - I think usually they're quite quick to tell you so you can make changes to your diet as soon as possible. This was followed up with a session with diabetic nurses and a dietician to go through what to eat and how to test blood sugars.

I found GD completely fine fsmile i was tested due to family history and was lucky to control my GD through diet and exercise. If you do have GD there's lots of support out there for tasty food which is low GI (important in controlling blood sugars). There is absolutely nothing you have done if you do have GD. As with everything pregnancy related, it's all hormones.

Whilst I had additional growth scans between 28 and 36 weeks to monitor baby's growth, as GD can lead to baby being bigger, I could still have a MLU birth as had no other risk factors. Your midwife will be able to reassure you further but don't panic - it's definitely manageable fsmile

VioletWillow Fri 16-Dec-16 17:00:44

They're very quick to tell you - I have been told by the afternoon of both my morning tests - they have to move fast to book you in with the diabetes clinic (or equivalent) and get growth scans booked etc so they don't hang around. If you do get a positive you will probably be the one telling your midwife if its the community one.

LottieL Fri 16-Dec-16 17:35:43

Thanks for the support, I appreciate it! I think with everything it makes me feel like I am failing, even though I haven't even had results yet. I am sure if it comes to it I can make the changes necessary to control it 🙂 I'd just rather not have to, if that makes sense. I suppose as I haven't heard anything today it will probably be Monday now - our hospital isn't great with passing results back so I'm not even particularly comforted by not hearing back today. To me they are probably faffing with the bloods still 😓

CrowieGirl432 Fri 16-Dec-16 17:44:09

Try not to worry - a lot of women are able to control it with diet and exercise. There's a lot of support online too and loads of websites with meal ideas/snack ideas. Seems to be all about eating little and often and combining carbs with protein and fat to slow down the carb absorption. Hope you get your results back soon x

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Fri 16-Dec-16 18:15:11

I had GD in my pregnancy earlier this year. My daughter is now six months old. It really wasn't that bad. In the end I had metformin tablets and insulin as my morning blood sugars couldn't be controlled by diet.

If you do turn out to have it there is a brilliant facebook page and website called Gestational Diabetes UK which I found a lifesaver for meal ideas: advice from there meant that in 11 weeks I didn't have a single post-meal high blood sugar.

LottieL Sat 17-Dec-16 11:57:32

Rang for my results this morning to see if they were back - and they were! All fine, stress and anxiety over nothing 🙂
Thanks for the support all x

VioletWillow Mon 19-Dec-16 09:48:48

Hurrah! It's a shame they didn't tell you quicker but hey ho. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now