Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Exercising???

(8 Posts)
user1481228934 Thu 15-Dec-16 18:30:23

Is it safe to exercise during pregnancy and if so how much is to much?

PeachBellini123 Thu 15-Dec-16 18:45:07

Yes of course! It totally depends on how active/fit you are. I.e my midwife was happy for me to keep going to the gym but if you are inactive suddenly deciding to run a marathon wouldn't be a good idea.

Unless you are told not to exercise because you are high risk then not being active is terrible for you and baby.

Christmasbaby16 Fri 16-Dec-16 21:14:20

I couldn't carry on with the gym but I did walk 3-5 miles daily with our dog

raviolidreaming Fri 16-Dec-16 21:23:29

I kept up my usual gym class 1-2 times a week until I was about 32 weeks and the bump just got too big and uncomfortable.

INeedNewShoes Fri 16-Dec-16 21:26:10

I think the basic sensible advice I've read/been given is that if you already exercised before you were pregnant, you should be fine to continue as long as its not extreme sports like skiing, off-road biking etc. where there's a significant risk of falling and things like badminton/volleyball that are high impact with jumping/sudden movements etc.

Based on that advice I have continued cycling, walking and Pilates but given up badminton.

INeedNewShoes Fri 16-Dec-16 21:26:58

Oh, and its important, especially in the first trimester, not to overheat. So you might need to go easier on some things and wear layers so you can keep cool.

Blacksox Fri 16-Dec-16 21:30:48

I kept up my exercise regime until 39 weeks both times, although I gave up spinning classes at 6 months as I noticed the veins on my hands were really bulging by the end of classes! I took this to be a bad sign.

I did body pump, yoga, running (which later on became fast treadmill walking on an incline) and swimming.

I think it really helped me have east labours and I was back in shape within a couple of weeks.

KatharinaRosalie Fri 16-Dec-16 21:41:43

It is fine to continue with most stuff you've been doing. You should not be aiming for any new records, that would be a bit too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now