Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pg at 46

(23 Posts)
eggcup Thu 15-Dec-16 17:35:31

Just discovered I'm pg (would be DC3) at the grand old age of 46! I had always wanted another DC, but had given up hope...big surprise!.
I'm only 8wks, have had 2 mc so i feel like it could end that way. I think I'm excited but also REALLY scared, especially about other people's reactions 😳
Haven't told anyone (apart from DH - he is happy, but he's also 5 years younger!). I feel like I can't tell people like I would have done when younger, cos they'd probably have a negative reaction, and everything makes me cry at the moment!
Would love to know of others in same kind of situation - feeling alone!

JammyTodger Thu 15-Dec-16 17:49:33

Congratulations!
I was 45 when I had my 2nd. I won't lie - it was an awful pregnancy and he's been bloody hard work since! But... he was very much wanted and he's the light of our lives. I was already the oldest mom at the school gates, but I'll be 50 when this one starts school. I suppose I did get a bit fed up of peoples reactions, but tbh people have something ng to say whatever your situation. The thing I find hardest is that we don't get any help. Our own parents are too old to look after the kids for longer than an hour or two so we never get a break, and it's all just so more exhausting when you're older.

JammyTodger Thu 15-Dec-16 17:52:29

Sorry - that all sounds really negative! I have no regrets at all. Being a mom at this time of life is awesome. My advice would be to get as fit as you can while pregnant, and foster relations with people who can give practical help once the baby arrives.

eggcup Thu 15-Dec-16 18:05:32

Thanks Jammy, it's good to know there are others out there!
x

PeachBellini123 Thu 15-Dec-16 18:33:47

Congratulations flowers

Princesspinkgirl Thu 15-Dec-16 20:49:30

Congratulations flowers

Oly5 Thu 15-Dec-16 20:57:22

Congratulations! I'm 41 and TTC number three so this gives me hope! Enjoy

danTDM Thu 15-Dec-16 21:00:36

What lovely news flowers

eggcup Fri 16-Dec-16 14:13:53

Thank you for the positive reactions! 😊

Nikki2ol6 Fri 16-Dec-16 14:24:06

Don't worry what people think, people always judge no matter what, she's too young she's too old she doesn't look very maternal and she hasn't even got a boyfriend. So don't let it get to you. And congrats!!

juneau Fri 16-Dec-16 14:26:14

Aw OP I'm sure people will be delighted for you. They may be a bit surprised and/or they may think you're a bit bonkers for having another at 46, but if you and your DH are happy and this baby is wanted then fuck what anyone else thinks! I suspect though that you'll encounter lots of good wishes and congratulations, as you should flowers

M0stlyHet Fri 16-Dec-16 14:32:47

Congrats OP, and good luck. I was into my 40s when I had my only DC - everyone was very nice about it, and hopefully they will be with you too. It is hard work, but it's fun.

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Fri 16-Dec-16 14:47:41

congratulations! That you are happy is all that matters smile For what its worth, I'm having my second at 24 and equally worried about peoples judgey pants!

pklme Fri 16-Dec-16 14:51:50

There are lots of more mature mums at the school gates these days. I expected to be much older than the others when I took foster children to school, but I wasn't.

My DB has just had his first at 50. Not quite the same for a bloke, but still.

Congratulations, I hope all goes well.

Badgerbird Fri 16-Dec-16 16:53:11

Yay!! Big congratulations, how exciting!! Stuff what anyone else thinks it's none of their business. You just concentrate on you, bump and your family. Enjoy smile

perfectpanda Fri 16-Dec-16 20:52:15

Hello. I'm in a similar situation at 44. Bit further on from you and despite getting through 12 week scan, I'm still hesitating telling people as feel strangely uncomfortable about my age.

But every good friend I've told so far has been delighted for me, the nurse I saw this week told me she had her 3rd at 44, and I met another 44 year old at the antenatal clinic.

So it's all getting more 'normal' in my head. I hope it all works out for you - I am in a very different place now than I was just a few weeks ago, so much of my angst went when I knew I'd got past the high risk miscarriage bit, preparing yourself for that possibility really doesn't help one settle into a pregnancy!

FeralBeryl Sat 17-Dec-16 01:02:10

46 is the new 36!
Congratulations! flowers
It will be fine, you will make it fine. Fuck the school gates-everyone always thought my DF was DB's grandad, then some 20 years later used to get mistaken for his GC's father fconfused they are hard work at any age, what tires you physically, you will make up for with knowledge and experience in other areas.
Vair jealous envy

PenguinsandPebbles Sat 17-Dec-16 01:11:42

Wow flowers

This has made me burst into tears as it has given me so much hope at nearly 40 and TTC

Agree fuck the school gates, if your happy then that is all that matters

So happy for you flowers

Manumission Sat 17-Dec-16 01:37:31

It's lovely news and will give lots of people hope. Congratulations and good luck! 🎈 🙂

oldlaundbooth Sat 17-Dec-16 02:12:02

Congratulations eggcup!

It's hard work at any age and as pp's have said folk have always something to say : just embrace and enjoy xxfsmile

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 17-Dec-16 08:17:50

Congrats. Come and join the over 40's thread

I'm 43 and 25w preg with first child tho took 5 lots of ivf

Age is but a number

Deadsouls Sat 17-Dec-16 08:19:39

That's wonderful news! Congratulations and also it gives me hope that it could happen for me. I'm 42 and would like another child.

eggcup Sun 18-Dec-16 20:45:39

Aww, thanks so much for all the lovely messages - you've warmed my cockles, and made me glad I stuck my neck out and posted.
Toomuuchtmereadingthreads2016, perfect panda and blondeshavemorefun - congratulations 💐💐💐, hope all goes really well for you.
Penguinsandpebbles and deadsouls - fingers crossed for you both, hope you get a bfp! 🍀
❤️

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now