Talk

Advanced search

Movements

(18 Posts)
AmyG87 Thu 15-Dec-16 13:41:31

Hi Ladies.

Just wondered if anybody can help / relate. I'm 19 weeks pregnant and haven't felt any movements. Last night in bed, I had my hand on my tummy and could feel kicking or what I think was kicking. But without my hand being there, I couldn't feel anything...

I thought that you felt it from the inside first rather than only from the outside?

Did anybody else experience this? x

TheTartOfAsgard Thu 15-Dec-16 13:47:17

With my 1st I remember feeling little bubbly feelings at about 19 weeks but didn't feel 'proper' movements til about 22 weeks. 2nd I felt from about 18 weeks (but was only a year after dc1)

Currently 16 weeks and started feeling the bubbly butterfly feelings but no actual movements yet.

Is it your 1st baby?

AmyG87 Thu 15-Dec-16 13:52:44

Hi, yes this is my first baby. I haven't even felt any flutters / bubbles....

TheTartOfAsgard Thu 15-Dec-16 14:18:17

I personally wouldn't be worried, it's been different with all 3 of mine and I'm sure everyone else has felt at different times, But if you are you could call your midwife for some reassurance. It could also be to do with the position of the placenta- if it's at the front then you won't feel big movements. Have you had your anomaly scan yet?

Gene9 Thu 15-Dec-16 14:21:06

Sorry to hijack the thread OP, but when does it start becoming abnormal not to feel movement at all yet?

19 weeks is very early obviously but when's the latest you can be worry free about it?

TheTartOfAsgard Thu 15-Dec-16 14:32:45

www.babycentre.co.uk/a549375/your-babys-movements-in-pregnancy

TheTartOfAsgard Thu 15-Dec-16 14:34:49

I think it's more that you should worry if you have been feeling regular movements then they stop.

My previous 2 pregnancies were 12 and 13 years ago and I remember being told that if you feel less than 10 movements a day you should contact midwife/antenatal clinic. But that was in later pregnancy

SunnyDayDreaming101 Thu 15-Dec-16 14:42:53

Not to worry, I felt the same thing around 17 weeks. If I had my hand on my belly I could feel it much better. The next 3 weeks I played is is trapped wind or baby blush

At 21 weeks I now feel it very clearly, couple of weeks and you will be feeling it all the time.

None of my friends really felt anything till later in their first pregnancy, around 21/22 weeks so I was lucky! Sounds like you are too.

Tumtitum Thu 15-Dec-16 14:54:32

I never felt flutters or bubbles either, only kicks. 19 weeks is still early so don't worry!!

AmyG87 Thu 15-Dec-16 15:10:29

Thanks ladies.

Gene9, I wasn't saying it was abnormal, I was just asking if others had experienced something similar. It was more that my understanding of it is that I would feel something from the inside rather than having to have my hand placed on my tummy...

I have my 20 week scan in a week so I will mention it to them.

Macauley Thu 15-Dec-16 17:36:04

I didn't really feel anything till about 22 weeks. At my 20 week scan baby did a massive kick and I couldn't feel it!

ExcitedMamaToBe Thu 15-Dec-16 17:40:37

I was able to feel movement from inside from around 18 weeks, was then able to feel movement from the outside at around 22 weeks. But when I can feel the movement on the outside, I can still feel the movement on the inside too if that makes sense?

raviolidreaming Thu 15-Dec-16 17:41:36

I'm 32 weeks and can often see the baby moving through my top but can't feel it - midwife said that movement is movement and not to worry.

JosephineMaynard Thu 15-Dec-16 19:08:30

I had the placenta at the front with my first two pregnancies, and both times, was past 20 weeks before I started feeling any movements.

TerriB84 Thu 15-Dec-16 22:02:30

I was exactly the same. I didn't feel anything till 19weeks (or rather I wasn't certain it was baby and not wind). First time I realised it was baby movement I felt it from the outside

TheTartOfAsgard Thu 15-Dec-16 22:42:27

The only way I can think of to describe a baby moving is like when you're sitting in the front seat of a car and the person behind you has their knees in your back and keeps moving them around. It's not really a 'being kicked' feeling at all, But then again I don't know if it's the same for other people. You'll know for sure when it happens. But do remember to ask about placenta position when you go to your scan next week.

Dueindecember2016 Fri 16-Dec-16 10:27:29

I didn't feel any proper kicks until around 23 weeks. Please do not worry yourself about it as all pregnancies are different. You'll end up stressing yourself out so much about it and is really an unwanted stress.

Be happy smile

TallyHoAndToodlePip Fri 16-Dec-16 10:55:07

I felt twinges at 15 weeks, bubbles at 17, kicks internally at 19 and kicks with my hand on my belly at 20 weeks. I am very slim though and have a posterior placenta too so literally have no cushioning at the front, which might explain why I felt everything so early. I am not 'normal' according to my GP and midwife lol.

As PP have said, everyone is different and feel movement for the first time at different weeks depending on many factors. Your baby will already be wriggling a good 'un inside you and you'll feel everything in good time. Try not to worry and enjoy your 20 week scan, where you'll see lots of movement and one healthy, happy baby smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now