Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

5 weeks nothing seen on scan

(30 Posts)
Eminybob Tue 13-Dec-16 19:28:33

I will try and keep this brief, I have had a couple of threads in conception as I'm having a rather confusing pregnancy so far.

So I think I am around 4-5 weeks. My lmp was 4 weeks ago but I think I ovulated and conceived only 1 week after that period (for various reasons and I tested v early)

I had a scan 2 weeks ago, and one today, both showed pretty much nothing, maybe a tiny dot that may or may not be something.

I have had bloods, 2 weeks ago they were around 300-500, today they were 1700 ish.

So levels rising (by enough?) but no progression with the scan.

Does anyone have any experience of anything like this? How likely is it that I'll end up with a viable baby?

I know that it's very early to see anything, but would you expect to see a difference in the scans 2 weeks apart?

I'm having more bloods on Thursday and another scan on Friday, but any advice in the mean time would be appreciated.

Sherlock35 Tue 13-Dec-16 19:31:08

Is five weeks not very early for anything to be showing on scans?

Sherlock35 Tue 13-Dec-16 19:32:17

Sorry, you've already said that it is! I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference between the weeks at this stage. I'm sorry, I haven't read your other threads but is there a reason that taking a pregnancy test isn't reliable?

drinkyourmilk Tue 13-Dec-16 19:33:17

I was 5+4 when they saw a 'sac'. I say 'sac' because quite frankly it looked like a hair on the scan picture.
If you are only 4 weeks then I don't think you will see anything, not even on friday. If you can I would wait another 1.5-2 weeks. Then you should see a sac, if not a heartbeat.

carriebradshawshandbag Tue 13-Dec-16 19:36:17

Though very early to see much on scan, if those blood numbers are HCG then I understand that the numbers are to double every 2-3 days? So if they were 500 two weeks ago they should be much higher than 1700 now?

I know how stressful early pregnancy is, very best of luck!

Eminybob Tue 13-Dec-16 19:43:25

Well I thought that it was too early to scan again on Friday too.
I think I'll mention it to them when I go in for blood on Thursday.

That's reassuring that there is likely to be nothing to see this early and not much difference.

I had had bleeding is why they scanned me early, plus as I got a bfp so early they thought initially I may have conceived the previous month and the period was breakthrough bleeding (which they have since decided isn't the case)

kirinm Tue 13-Dec-16 19:52:37

I don't want to upset you but don't think the HCG levels sound like they're rising correctly. Have they suggested it's a pregnancy of unknown location or have they raised that as a possibility? It's good that they're doing more bloods. At this stage it's the best way of trying to work out what is going on.

Having been through this myself I know how stressful it can be flowers

FayeElizabeth Tue 13-Dec-16 19:52:50

I had the same thing, I went for an early scan due to cramps and bleeding and thought I was 4 weeks along, it turns out I was probably earlier than that, I went for a scan three weeks later and there was a little heart beat. As long as your levels are rising I wouldn't worry too much. smile

Eminybob Tue 13-Dec-16 19:54:59

That's what I'm worried about with the hcg levels Carrie.
Although I spoke to the consultant today who said about every pregnancy being different etc etc and he seemed to think between 1500 and 2000 would be acceptable (before I'd had the blood tests)

Eminybob Tue 13-Dec-16 19:59:56

Thanks for the replies.

I've gone from devastated at the scan as I thought it was all over, to hope after the bloods had risen and the consultant said it could still be ok, and everywhere in between in the last 12 hours.

It was the scan that had me worried, but actually that doesn't seem to be the biggest problem, it seems the bloods are.
I guess it's just a waiting game (again, already been through 2 weeks of this)

Lizziedoll Tue 13-Dec-16 20:48:42

I'm in a similar position. My LMP was 7 weeks and one day ago. On Thursday evening I had some spotting so went for a scan on Friday morning. They did a vaginal scan and could only see the gestational sac and yolk sac but no embryo. I was 6 weeks 5 days then, and the lady said my pregnancy looked 4 or 5 weeks. She said either I ovulated/conceived later than I thought or it's not a viable pregnancy. I have to go back next Friday for another scan to determine viability. Good luck, please keep me posted?

haveacupoftea Tue 13-Dec-16 22:39:00

It is too early really to see anything on a scan, and you dont actually know when you conceived. I was convinced that I conceived on cd19, opks told me so, 32 day cycles, all the signs were there - nope, several dating scans have me ovulating at cd 13/14. You could well only be 4 weeks pregnant, or less.

Were you given an exact figure for your hcg levels? It doesnt sound like you have been so I wouldnt place too much store in them.

Good luck with this worrying and confusing time, I hope all is cleared up soon.

Eminybob Wed 14-Dec-16 04:08:38

Pretty sure I'm no less than 4 weeks.
I got my bfp 2 weeks after my period, and going by when we had sex im pretty sure I ovulated and conceived on cycle day 8. Although by lmp dates I'd be just over 4 weeks now, because I ovulated a week earlier than the "norm" and add 2 weeks onto conception day, I'd expect to be the equivalent of just over 5 weeks now.

Of course as that does all sound unlikely there is still the possibility that I conceived the previous cycle and have miscarried but for whatever reason my hcg levels have continued to rise.

Like I said in my op, I'm completely baffled about it all.

Also, and I know this sounds ridiculous, but I can't help feeling that I've somehow caused the issue by having early scans. Not that the scans have done any harm, but just that if I hadn't called epu and just waited and had a normal scan at 12 weeks then everything would have been fine.

I had an early mmc with my first pregnancy which was found when I had an early scan due to some ovary pain, and then went on to have medical management, but with DS I didn't have a scan until 12 weeks and everything was fine. (He's 2 now).

I guess what it is I'm worried about is they are going to diagnose a miscarriage, but actually if I had waited it out it would be fine.

Sorry, probably not making much sense, I'm tired and I can't sleep.

Eminybob Wed 14-Dec-16 04:10:46

Good luck Lizziedoll, I hope everything works out for you

ConvincingLiar Wed 14-Dec-16 06:33:23

You definitely haven't caused this, but I know what you mean about scanning to early. Sometimes a little information is a dangerous thing and just causes worry. I was scanned early in this pregnancy at what I expected to be 8 weeks but turned out to be only 5 (but all fine after an anxious 2 week limbo). In my first pregnancy I went to be scanned at 7 weeks and it turned out to be 11, I was bloody delighted to be a month further on than I thought. I half feel that the best bet is to behave as though pregnant (no booze, right food, vitamins etc) and don't do anything until you start feeling kicks. Knowing early on isn't all that helpful.

mistletoeprickles Wed 14-Dec-16 12:14:06

I'm in a similar boat.
I had a scan this morning which put me at 5 weeks (3/4 days out from my original dates but hey that happens). I have a sac so there's a good start.
I had bloods taken too and they will be repeated again in 48 hours. The epu told me that they expect to see hcg level somewhere between 220 and 7100 (massive range) and they expect to see that they have doubled in those 48 hours.
Hope everything goes ok flowers

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 14-Dec-16 16:31:58

At 5w due to ivf I had a scan. It showed a tiny blob/sac and was told too early to tell if a heart or not

Went back at 7w and was a heart.

Lady st scan clinic said very rare to see a heart before 6/4

So guess it will be a waiting game for you. ESP if not 100% when conceived where with ivf I knew the exact time let alone day

Hope you get good news at next scan

Eminybob Thu 15-Dec-16 14:50:07

So had my blood results, levels are down to 1100 something so it looks like it's game over.
They are going to scan tomorrow again anyway but I guess that's that.

Gemk12 Thu 15-Dec-16 15:59:45

Nothing was seen on my scan at 5w6days one week later there was a dot with a tiny flutter. I hope everything is OK x

Lizziedoll Thu 15-Dec-16 16:27:09

Eminy I'm so sorry. Be gentle with yourself flowers

ConvincingLiar Fri 16-Dec-16 06:33:05

I'm sorry. Look after yourself flowers

paperandpaint Fri 16-Dec-16 08:53:03

I'm so sorry to hear this. I've had a ectopic and MMC at 7 weeks and both were horrible and traumatic. If the worst has happened, look after yourself, let others look after you and don't whatever you do blame yourself, the vast majority of losses are due to abnormalities and nothing at all that you have done will have caused it.

It will happen again for you, even at my old age (43 - eek!) I got pregnant very shortly after my MMC and now 24 weeks.

I hope you are ok.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 16-Dec-16 09:54:51

Very sorry to hear this Emmy 💐💐💐

HopefulSmile14 Sat 17-Dec-16 10:16:20

I had this at 5 weeks went back 5days after 4 days before I got married and baby was there heart flickering away don't lose hope

Eminybob Sat 17-Dec-16 13:37:13

I had a other scan yesterday, still nothing to be seen.

They have said its a pregnany of unknown location, although they have checked the tubes and can't see anything.

I had a choice of either an injection, which would kill the cells, wherever they maybe and bring me back to not pregnant. The disadvantage is that we couldn't try again for 3 months due to the toxins in the injection. The other choice was do nothing and wait to start bleeding and hcg levels to return to normal. The disadvantage being that if there is a pregnancy in a tube then if it increases in size it could cause my tube to rupture. This seemed unlikely as they have checked my tubes 3 times and can't see anything, plus I'm sure if anything was going to get bigger it would have done by now, although they could not rule ectopic out.
I chose to wait and let nature takes its course. I'm starting to get crampy now so I think it's going to happen soon. They are going to check my levels next Friday to make sure they have returned to normal.

I did ask, but based on everything, there is no chance that this could possibly pan out to a viable pregnancy, so I have come to terms with that now.

Thank you everyone who gave me support and advice flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: