Talk

Advanced search

Baby Measuring small at 36 weeks

(22 Posts)
Starlight85 Mon 12-Dec-16 22:19:55

I'm pregnant with my first and I've been having growth scans and had one at 28 and 32 weeks and one today at 36+4.

Baby has been just above the bottom line on the growth chart and today dropped onto the line. Although she is now on the line she hasn't dropped that far as was just above it before.

The Dr said there is nothing atm to say anything is wrong and she could just be a small baby but they want to make sure everything is ok so I have to go to the hospital every other day from tomorrow for a ECG of baby's heartbeat and also have a scan next week to check the flow through the cord and then another scan the week after to check her growth again.

The Dr said if she drops below the line they will need to deliver/induce me.

I know it's good they are keeping a good eye on her, but I feel anxious about it all and the idea of being induced early.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Nikki2ol6 Tue 13-Dec-16 07:44:19

My baby is small too and he has major heart defects so we did expect him to be a little small so my consultant is not worried at all unless he stops growing which thankfully he hasn't. Try not to worry babies can be small for all sorts of reasons and sometimes there isn't even a reason

Sunnie1984 Tue 13-Dec-16 21:31:29

They are just being cautious.

It's a good thing.

Monitor movement really closely and if you feel any reduction in movement go straight to the hospital.

Better to be safe than sorry.

I'm sure all will be fine! smile

NutellaCookie Tue 13-Dec-16 21:38:58

I am in the exact same position OP.
38 weeks tomorrow and I have had regular monitoring and scans for the past two weeks. I have another growth scan scheduled for Thursday and hope they make a decision regarding induction.

They are just being cautious with all the monitoring, nonetheless it is a worry to be told your baby is small. I am sure everything will be fine.

Take a book / magazine with you, I have sometimes been at the hospital for 2 hours + (depending on how busy they are).

Try not to worry, they are just looking after you both smile

mum2Bomg Tue 13-Dec-16 23:32:15

Try not to worry too much, it is just one measurement and it very hit and miss as to whether this indicates that there is anything wrong at all. flowers I was told I was having a 'big baby' but DD was born 8 days ago at only 5lb 11oz. I hope all goes well but they have no idea how big they actually are as there is no way to tell how much fluid there is etc.

EstelleRoberts Tue 13-Dec-16 23:39:32

I had very similar, DD suddenly dropped centiles at around 34 weeks. Doppler showed good cord flow, but my consultant, and the consultant scanning me, did say a scan won't show everything. I had subsequent scans that showed she grew a bit, but not much. After a couple of incidents of reduced movements, I had a c section at 37+5. DD was small at 5lb 10oz, but had an apgar score of 9.

She had a bit of jaundice and low blood sugar, but soon recovered after formula top ups, and quickly climbed up to between 25 and 50th centile, where she has stayed ever since (now 17 months).

It was noted that my placenta was a bit small and prematurely aged, so while I was a bit shocked by the early delivery, I am sure it was the right decision, as she thrived so much better after being born. I was very anxious about what might be happening to her towards the end of the pregnancy, so overall I was pleased to go with the recommendation to get her out a bit early.

PeachBellini123 Wed 14-Dec-16 06:45:48

We had the same thing at 36 weeks - had a growth scan and he's small but they think it's because I'm small!

Try not to worry too much. Growth scans can be very inaccurate anyway. Plenty of womens get told their babies will be too small or too large and they have healthy babies.

farfarawayfromhome Wed 14-Dec-16 07:21:39

i was in the exact same situation - turned out i had IUGR and a calcified placenta, hence DD wasn't growing properly. she came early at 36 weeks and was a tiny 4 pounds - but perfect.

It's really good that they are monitoring you so they can help if needs be. good luck.

Starlight85 Sat 17-Dec-16 00:02:21

Thanks for all your replies.

I know it's good they are monitoring her.

Just worried a bit as I've had 3 growth scans at 28, 32 and 36 weeks and it looks like her growth has slowed a little as she isn't following 'the line' but dropped slightly onto the bottom line.

They haven't suggested inducing me yet so I guess they can't be that worried?

chloechloe Sat 17-Dec-16 15:57:22

You're in good hands with the monitoring and it's a sign that things are well that they're not planning on delivering her yet.

From what I've read it's important to distinguish between babies that are simply small for gestational age (SGA) and babies with intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR). SGA means they reach their growth potential but are simply small for genetic or maternal reasons. IUGR babies on the other hand do not reach their growth potential because of some underlying issue.

DD1 had IUGR because the placenta was not functioning properly. I had to be induced 5 days overdue as they didn't want to wait any longer. I had an EMCS as she got distressed before I even had a single contraction - apparently IUGR babies often struggle with a vaginal delivery. She was born weighing 5lb4 but otherwise healthy with a great APGAR score. Because of the continuous monitoring they got her out in good time.

DD2 was born this week 2 weeks early by VBAC. There had also been concerns that she had IUGR as well, again due to problems with the placenta at around 32w where she dropped under the 10th%ile. There was talk of delivering her early but it got better though after I stopped working. She weighed in at 6lb4. It was also a really straightforward delivery of 3.5 hours.

Not sure if that helps, but I guess I'm trying to say you're in good hands with the monitoring and chances are the baby is small but otherwise healthy.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Starlight85 Sun 18-Dec-16 00:29:49

Thanks Chloe.

How did they identify there was an issue with the placenta with you?

I think what's worried me, is that is she just a SGA baby or has IUGR and if she has IUGR, is she ok. I think it's the not knowing and so just waiting that I'm finding hard.

I had a monitoring today and asked the midwife and she said on the growth chart she hasn't dropped too far as she was close to the line anyway and reassured me that if the Drs were really worried they would induce/deliver me now I'm over 37 weeks.

I have another scan Monday so I'm hoping that gives some more answers either way and so we know if I'm likely to be induced early or not.

chloechloe Sun 18-Dec-16 07:09:20

Hi starlight. With me they identified the problem via Doppler scans where they check the blood flow through the placenta and to the vital organs.

I know it's hard not to worry but it's really hard to measure the baby's size accurately and even US measurements are expected to be 10% out. If there were a serious concern they would have been thinking about delivery already.

Even though DD1 had IUGR she never had any health issues. I did struggle with BF as she was small but I expressed for 6 weeks and we eventually cracked it. She also gained weight slowly compared to friends' babies. It took forever for her to get to 5kg and we had to top her up with one bottle a day. Those were the only issues really. Looking at her now in nursery at 21m with all the other toddlers you would never guess she was so tiny!

Wingingit88 Sun 18-Dec-16 07:28:31

Very similar story with ds1. Measuring small at 32 weeks. Had fortnightly growth scans up until 38 +5 weeks when movements slowed down and fluid levels were low so they induced me. He was 6lb 3. Good birth. Slight issues with blood sugar and feeding but nothing major. Like you said if they were really concerned they would deliver now You are term

Starlight85 Mon 19-Dec-16 13:31:01

Got a scan and then another CTG today and feeling really anxious about it.

chloechloe Mon 19-Dec-16 14:41:23

Good luck starlight and keep us posted. You're in good hands with the extra monitoring!

jel2014 Mon 19-Dec-16 14:44:17

similar story for me. with DS1 i was always measuring small and sent for extra scans. it wasn't until the scan at 40+1 where he dropped below the line did they want to induce. He was born by forceps, induction was fine. we failed to bf as my milk never came in and in hindsight think he had low blood sugar level. He thrived from day 1 never lost weight and is now tall for his age. He was classed as IUGR.

I'm now 24 weeks with DC2 and DS1 has now been classed as SGA at 2%tile so I'm having scans at 26. 30 and 36 I think. I'm not worried as it is more checking and I know if they get worried they will induce.

Its a worrying time but take comfort in the fact they are monitoring you more closely so anything would be spotted. And if they decide to induce or cs then you are closer to meeting the little one

Starlight85 Tue 20-Dec-16 13:00:05

@chloechloe we got on ok yesterday, at the scan, cord and waters all ok. CTG was ok again. They didn't measure her as they said it was too soon to measure and compare to the last scan last week. They will measure her again next week and if she has dropped below the 10th centile line they will book me for an induction. I have to continue with my alternate day CTGs and I'm really hoping she at least stays on the line next week.

Starlight85 Tue 20-Dec-16 13:01:15

Thanks @jel2014z

It is reassuring they are keeping a close eye on her, I just can't help feeling anxious about it all.

chloechloe Tue 20-Dec-16 14:07:18

That's good news that the tests haven't thrown anything up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for next week!

Starlight85 Tue 20-Dec-16 14:10:45

Thank you 😊

NutellaCookie Wed 21-Dec-16 11:33:26

OP, just to reassure you my scan last week (38 weeks) showed little one had dropped below 10th centile (estimated around 5lb 6oz) so I was induced on Friday. Our perfectly healthy baby arrived on Saturday weighing 5lb.12oz. We were discharged the same day and baby is thriving. Good luck with all your monitoring, it's a worry I know but so worth it.

Starlight85 Mon 02-Jan-17 07:02:13

Hi
I just wanted to update you all.
So all our CTG continued to be fine, but at our last growth scan on 28th it showed she had dropped below the 10th centile line and the scan estimated that her head and tummy hadn't grown since the scan two weeks before. When I heard this I was terrified, but the Drs reassured me everything else looked ok, but that they wanted to induce me because as I was 38+6 she was ready to come out. They wanted me to go in that evening to start the induction.
I was really anxious about being induced and possibly having to stay in hospital for a while as well as being worried something was wrong with the baby and that an induction would lead to a long labour or a section.
After having my first pessary about 10pm on 28th I progressed quite quickly and looking back the pains I started having early hours of 29th I think were early contractions and they continued to get stronger throughout the day. By 10am I was 1-2cm dilated and they were going to break my waters in the evening of 29th, however due to the delivery suite being busy I was kept on the ward and my waters broke on their own at 1.30am on 30th and by about 8am we were ready to start pushing and after pushing over three contractions we finally got to meet our baby girl! She was on the smaller side at 6lb 4, but is perfect and didn't need any assistance or anything after the birth. She was able to be delivered straight onto me, she cried straight away and settled very quickly.
We had to stay at hospital just to check her blood sugars prior to 3 feeds but they were all fine and we came home the same day!
Thank you for all your advice and support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now