Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help! Think I'm in labour and on my own for now!

(49 Posts)
chloechloe Tue 06-Dec-16 19:15:31

I'm 37+1 with DD2. With DD1 I had an EMCS before labour set in so have no idea what to expect.

For the last hour and a half I've been having what I think are contractions - basically a tightening down where my CS scar is, lasting 45sec every 5-7 min. When I last went to the bathroom there was some very watery blood.

Am currently home alone with DD1 with no family nearby - DH has gone to watch the Champions League with his friend and won't be home for another 4 hours at least.

I don't want to drag them back before I have to - surely the baby won't arrive in the next 4 hours?!

Also not sure if I should track down our babysitter or neighbor to be on call to stay the night if necessary. Then again I'd feel like a bit of an idiot if it's a false alarm and goes on for days.

Help! Is this really it!?

Geneticsbunny Tue 06-Dec-16 19:18:57

Ring your midwife to check if the blood is anything to worry about and invite a friend over for the evening. Better safe than sorry and most people are excited to be part of the arrival of a baby, even if it isn't quite ready to arrive yet

haveacupoftea Tue 06-Dec-16 19:19:26

Get him home and get childcare sorted. Even if its a false alarm you need to get the blood checked out. But it does sound like it's time!

rachyconks Tue 06-Dec-16 19:20:38

5-7 mins are technically quite close together. I went to hospital when they were 5 mins apart! I would call your DH sooner rather than later, just in case!

OlennasWimple Tue 06-Dec-16 19:21:45

Yup, better to have everything sorted but it be a false alarm than leave everything to the last minute and have to sort it out in an emergency

And ring the MW about the blood, they may want you to come in anyway

Make sure your bag in packed in case you end up staying in!

panad317 Tue 06-Dec-16 19:23:21

Give the labour ward a ring, they may want to check your loss. Make sure you're wearing a maternity pad.

chloechloe Tue 06-Dec-16 19:29:18

Thanks ladies! Oh crap - DH hardly ever goes out! Currently trying to get DD to sleep, she's terrible at settling at the moment. Will call the hospital then the babysitter and hope she's not busy!

acornsandnuts Tue 06-Dec-16 19:30:47

Can your DH be back within s reainable time in case things speed up?
If not I would pre warn him, he might make the call to come home anyway. Best to be prepared than caught unawares. Also as pp have said, give your maternity ward a call.

ZoeZombie Tue 06-Dec-16 19:30:56

Ring your DH! My post-EMCS baby arrived 4 hours after my waters went, 45 minutes in full labour. It can all happen very quickly the second time around even if the first one was a section. Better to be safe than sorry!

acornsandnuts Tue 06-Dec-16 19:32:04

a reasonable time

Goodness dreadful spelling there.

GizmoFrisby Tue 06-Dec-16 19:32:40

I had this with my dd at 36+6 the contractions and blood. Got admitted to hospital and induced straight away as was pre eclampsia. Please get it checked! She was born the next day!!

KateInKorea Tue 06-Dec-16 19:33:47

How long will it take you to get to the hospital and your husband?

GizmoFrisby Tue 06-Dec-16 19:33:56

Mine was a VB though so not sure about scar tightening

Ilovenannyplum Tue 06-Dec-16 19:35:01

Time for DH to come home OP......
good luck!

bloodydrama Tue 06-Dec-16 19:36:26

... not place marking for a live birth thread at all, not me grin

Mrscog Tue 06-Dec-16 19:45:44

Me neither bloodydrama.....

ClarissaDarling Tue 06-Dec-16 19:48:30

Nor me! Hope you got DD settled and have been in contact with everyone successfully!

manhowdy Tue 06-Dec-16 19:50:55

HOW EXCITING grin

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 06-Dec-16 19:51:42

Ring DH... anywhere showing football is likely to be packed so it might take him a while to get out, and it'll take even longer if he's actually at one of the games. Plus he won't want to miss the birth, however much of a footie fan he is.

Best of luck! How exciting.

MrsStinkey Tue 06-Dec-16 19:53:16

Good luck! grin

tygr Tue 06-Dec-16 20:03:59

Am I the only one hoping he at least gets to half time?! I'm a terrible woman.

Good luck.

mistermagpie Tue 06-Dec-16 20:09:28

This happened to me (the blood as well although there was a lot of it in my case) and DS was born about 2 hours later. Get your DH home!

Princesspinkgirl Tue 06-Dec-16 21:12:58

Amy update OP sounds like labour oh I'm envious lol I'm due Christmas day and cannot wait

Princesspinkgirl Tue 06-Dec-16 21:13:28

Any not Amy lol

luckiestgirl Tue 06-Dec-16 21:14:57

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now