Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it cystitis?

(10 Posts)
fooolofbeans Sun 04-Dec-16 09:41:54

So, I've been up since 3am on the toilet feeling the desperate urge to pee and associated burning sensation with only a few drops coming out.

Between 6 and 8am I got some relief from lying in a warm bath and drinking 3 litres of water.

I've just been to the walk in centre and they won't prescribe antibiotics as the dip test didn't show blood or protein in my urine, there was only a nurse prescriber on duty and she said that if I wasn't pregnant I would be given the antibiotics because of my symptoms despite the negative dip test, but they're less inclined to give meds in pregnancy.

But basically I'm convinced its a UTI and that my urine was that dilute by the time is was tested (from 3l water) that nothing of note showed.

I've had cystitis in the past and either been able to nip it in the bud with vast quantities of fluid and rest or if that hasn't worked I've gone to the gp who have prescribed antibiotics. I left it too long once and ended up with a nasty kidney infection. So I feel like I know the full spectrum of what UTIs feel like, and feel this one won't go away without antibiotics.

But....am I right? Or could it be something else?

I think I'll end up spending today in the bath drinking water and go to the GP tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

fooolofbeans Sun 04-Dec-16 09:42:40

Oh and I'm 11, 4 pregnant BTW

Spam88 Sun 04-Dec-16 09:44:48

Can you give your midwife a ring? It does sound like cystitis.

I'm not sure about the dilution theory though, I gave a urine sample after my 12 week scan when I'd drank so much the sample was basically water lol, and somehow they picked up bacteria in it even though I didn't have any symptoms. They were very keen to get me on antibiotics immediately though so I'm sure your midwife will help smile

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Sun 04-Dec-16 09:52:06

Dip tests are notoriously unreliable, you should never rule out a UTI because the dip test is negative. I am shocked they just sent you home from the walk-in centre, as UTIs in pregnancy can become very nasty. I would definitely contact your midwife, or maybe an OOH GP if the midwife can't help.

RobberBride Sun 04-Dec-16 10:16:46

UTI expert here. Like you I had them sometimes pre-preg from the mild to the aggressive (ended up in A&E for antibiotics for that one - went from slight burning in am to crippling cramps by 8pm).

In this pg I had the same experience as you - 3am wakeup, drinking shitloads of water. It was a weekday and as I was pg, the nurse sent me to GP. My urine was the same as yours, I failed the dipstick because I'd drunk so much, but because of the symptoms they prescribed antibiotics. Eventually took two rounds of abs to shift it.

Can you phone NHS 111 and ask for a walk in centre with a GP? Or call the walk in back and ask when a GP might be on duty? Like a PP I'm shocked they let you home without anything.

IME midwives won't advise on UTIs, they will tell you to go to GP.

Sorry for typos, on phone with stupid hormonal headache.

RobberBride Sun 04-Dec-16 10:20:36

Grammar fail. I've got the headache, not my phone.

fooolofbeans Tue 20-Dec-16 00:43:38

Sorry what with being glued to the toilet I forgot to try 😁 saw my lovely go who prescribed foetus friendly antibiotics and I can now see in peace¡

Becciilouisex3 Tue 20-Dec-16 14:57:29

Had hundreds (seriously, no exaggeration!) of UTI's in the last 7years and that is definitely a UTI.

I also had trouble getting diagnosed when pregnant and was told by the midwife that it's because there are so many things present in your pee and altering what's in your pee when pregnant that it can be hard to get a dip result indicating a UTI.

The walk in centre doctor tried to turn me away too with a negative dip result but I argued the toss with her because I'd had so many that I knew what it was and she gave me the antibiotics. That being said, on another occasion they flat out refused and I ended up in hospital at 24 weeks with a severe kidney infection because they'd left it to fester.

If you cant get any antibiotics for the time being try using Cystocalm. They're the sachets you put in water and drink. I was skeptics because I get them really badly and nothing ever helps, even Cystopurin which is the same premise but Cystocalm was a godsend for me. It possibly wont clear the cystits up completely but the symptoms should ease enough for you to be going to the toilet more normally and less painfully. It does say on the box that they're not suitable during pregnancy but I spoke to a consultant and multiple midwives who checked them and said that because they're sodium chloride based they're totally safe (and DS is fine after multiple uses during pregnancy!)

Good luck x

fooolofbeans Tue 20-Dec-16 19:00:47

Thanks so much for this becci, so sorry you suffer so much with this. I can feel another one brewing it's not much fun is it 😪

dementedma Tue 20-Dec-16 19:06:55

Order D-mannose on line and keep it handy. It actually works and has been a life saver at times. Fine even for children to use as is a natural product.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now