Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Medium to rare steak

(12 Posts)
jassie90 Tue 29-Nov-16 17:54:04

Without thinking I had steak early medium to rare. My mum cooked it as a treat and I then realised I don't think I should be eating it. So now I'm panicking, thinking the worse and googling things. I'm 16 weeks pregnant. Any advice please ???

DearMrDilkington Tue 29-Nov-16 17:55:56

I'm sure you'll be fine.

GruffaloPants Tue 29-Nov-16 17:57:01

Only advice is not to worry!

Guidelines are rightly strict, but people eat stuff like this all the time without difficulty. A steak that is cooked on the surfaces presents very little risk.

PeachBellini123 Tue 29-Nov-16 18:02:16

Don't worry, relax and stop googling.

jassie90 Tue 29-Nov-16 18:04:33

Thank you. I know I shouldn't google but after a miscarriage this year I just can't relax. Thank you though I feel better hearing these words

Beewhisperer Tue 29-Nov-16 18:07:35

I did exactly the same at 16 weeks and worried myself stupid.
8 week old dd is currently napping on me and refusing to be put down.
Try not to worry. wink

Hope you enjoyed the steak.

Sipperskipper Tue 29-Nov-16 18:12:09

I ate the rarest beef wellington when I was 5 weeks pregnant. It was amazing. 3 days later I read some guidance on rare meat - got super panicked! Asked my midwife and she said its fine, as long as the outside is sealed / browned. For this reason you are supposed to avoid things like rare mince (ie a burger) as its all mixed up.

I also read that there have been no known cases of Toxoplasmosis in beef in the UK anyway - there is more risk with rare lamb or pork.

jassie90 Tue 29-Nov-16 18:16:34

Thank you I can go to bed not worrying tonight now. My mum said she wouldn't of given it to me if it wasn't alright. I wish I could worry less and enjoy my pregnancy. Thanks again

theconstantinoplegardener Tue 29-Nov-16 18:24:59

I did this too, newly pregnant with my first child and unfamiliar with the dietary guidelines. She is now a happy, healthy nine-year-old.

Have you ever kept cats? If you have, it's quite likely that you've already "caught" toxoplasmosis, in which case re-exposure now (from your steak) should not be a problem. Try not to worry - the risk of your baby being affected by this one serving of rare meat is very small. You probably won't make this mistake again! smile

jassie90 Tue 29-Nov-16 18:34:23

That's the one thing that's made me think I'll be ok ... cats. I've always had them and we even have a litter tray that I clean with a lot of care. I used to clean the litter tray every day when pregnant with my son.

PeachBellini123 Tue 29-Nov-16 19:45:12

I was exactly the same. At 36 weeks I am so much more relaxed. It will get better.

Holz657 Tue 29-Nov-16 20:21:03

My pal did that a few times during her pregnancy and her baby turned out fine smile I wouldn't worry (easier said than done I know) xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now