Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone worked right up to due date with #2?

(10 Posts)
Heatherbell1978 Tue 29-Nov-16 14:24:01

So I'm due 27/2 with #2 and am actually planning to leave work at Xmas because the project I am working on is coming to a close so it's a good time to finish up.

Just had the opportunity to enrol in two courses in February which would mean me completing a qualification I've been doing which would be great. They're each 3 days long and have an exam. I'm not worried about the work or exam but how I'll feel so close to due date (last exam will be 15/2) especially with public transport etc. I've kind of forgotten with first pregnancy - I left at 35 wks then and remember being a bit bored the first few weeks then really big and uncomfortable....

Am I just being soft? What are your experiences?

frenchknitting Tue 29-Nov-16 16:59:04

Sorry, i don't have any experience - currently on number 2 myself, and hoping to work up to a fortnight before. I just wanted to say though, that a course is different to "normal" work though, so I wouldn't hesitate, personally, if it's something that you want to do.

Saying that, I sat an exam a week before DC was born and a) all the toilet breaks cut into my exam time b) by the time I went back to work, the business need for that particular qualification had changed and I haven't even bothered to put it on my CV c) I was a bit stressed about baby coming early, and my boss being pissed that they'd wasted £££ on the exam fees. But none of that is any reason not to, really.

thecatsarecrazy Tue 29-Nov-16 17:46:29

I'm expecting end of Jan. I was planning on leaving just before Christmas but manager said nobody can have "holidays" in December so I had to leave November and they can get Christmas cover. I finished last Friday but my paper work has finish date as Dec 5th.

Whatsername17 Tue 29-Nov-16 17:50:28

I'm working up until the 16th of January. Number 2 is due on the 20th.

cheminotte Tue 29-Nov-16 17:52:14

I finished at 39w with dc1 and planned to finish at 36w with dc2 so I could spend some time with dc1. I finished at 36w as planned and dc2 was born on day 1 of my maternity leave!

Heatherbell1978 Wed 30-Nov-16 10:50:03

That's what I'm afraid of chem! DS1 was born at 41 wks so I guess I'm making an assumption this one will still in there until at least due date....the courses can be cancelled I guess so probably nothing to lose and it would be great to finish the qualification before mat leave startssmile

Twinkletowedelephant Wed 30-Nov-16 10:53:20

I worked up to the day before my c section with DTS I was 38 1/2 week and felt great if it hadnt of been for the giant belly I wouldn't have thought I was pregnant... I only stayed till 37 weeks with dd (first ) as I was so so tired

BreatheDeep Wed 30-Nov-16 11:05:46

I'm due no. 2 this weekend. I finished work 2 weeks ago and was glad I did as since then I have become really really uncomfortable. But I have SPD and my commute to work was an hour drive email too.
If you don't have any issues in pregnancy and you don't have a huge commute then working closer to due date shouldn't be too bad

Redkite10a Wed 30-Nov-16 11:08:37

I worked up to 38 weeks with DC2. I found it much harder going than working until 38 weeks with DC1. DH works long hours so I had to get DC1 out of bed, do nursery drop off, pick ups and get dinner ready by myself. I also struggled to find time to get stuff ready for the new baby when my toddler was around and was too tired in the evenings. DC2 was born 10 days over but unlike with DC1 I wasn't bored for the 3.5 weeks I was off as I only had 2 days a week DC1 wasn't in nursery for and I loved the luxury of toddler free time!

Work wasn't the most tiring thing on my plate and I would have been capable of working for longer but not along with juggling everything else. How old is your DC1, and will you be able to rest in the evenings / weekend?

MamaLyon Wed 30-Nov-16 11:13:20

I'm a teacher and worked up until 38+1 (finished work on a Friday) with DD2 and gave birth the following Wednesday. Depending on how your feeling it should be fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now