Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I pay for an extra scan?

(15 Posts)
fourcorneredcircle Tue 29-Nov-16 10:11:11

Had my 12 week scan yesterday. Resulting images were the best they got. Little monkey was curled up in a ball facing away. As a result they couldn't do the nuchal measurement. Told me to mention to MW next time I saw her as I'll need bloods at 16 weeks. Except 16 weeks is Christmas week so my appointment is actually when I'm 17 weeks. Have 'phoned MW and left a message asking for advice, not heard back yet.

I could pay the £189 it would cost for a private scan and nuchal measurement - I could also pay £400 for NIPT (harmony) + scan but that would make a significant dent in my finances. It's about 1/3 of my monthly take home pay. Would you? Which one?

I think part of the reason I'm a bit 🤔 is because my pictures look so very different to everyone else's. It makes me worried that everything is ok. Has anyone else had 12 week scan images that weren't the "standard" baby lying on back with clear skull and torso?

MrsChrisPratt Tue 29-Nov-16 10:21:03

Do you have any reason to worry other than the scan? Age? Family history of trisomy? Any other issues? What would you do if yoy have a further scan and it identified a potential issues?

Your scan pictures are not the most attractive, but not an indication of anything wrong. I had a similar picture given to me at 12 weeks (looks a bit like Voldemort!) so I don't think it's unusual.

If you are higher risk, have additional reasons to worry and will take action based on the results, pay for a private test. If not, I'd leave it as it sounds like it'd stretch your finances unnecessarily.

Congrats flowers

fourcorneredcircle Tue 29-Nov-16 10:34:42

No, no family history of trisomy. I'm below any dangerous age and I have no other complications.

Which all make it sound like I'm being silly!

DH and I wouldn't terminate a child with DS, Turners etc. I am a SN teacher and so know the serious risks but also the wide range of ability, disability and effects.

However, we had a close friend who's baby was diagnosed with Patau syndrome. Having seen what she went through having decided to carry the pregnancy further than doctors recommended and the effect it had on her we're keen to avoid that situation.

MrsChrisPratt Tue 29-Nov-16 10:52:36

The incidence of Patau's is 1/5000, that's 0.02%. If this is the only issue you'd take any action on, statistically and logically the sensible decision is to just wait it out.

It's not a decision you can make purely on logic though as there is emotion attached - can you cope with that tiny amount of uncertainty or do you just need reassurance now? How much is it affecting you and what does your DH think?

Alternatively can you push for a rescan on the NHS?

allegretto Tue 29-Nov-16 10:54:19

I would push for a rescan on the NHS if you are not out of time.

MrsChrisPratt Tue 29-Nov-16 10:54:52

No judgement by the way, as someone who took many years and four rounds of IVF to get pregnant, then lost a twin at 9 weeks I know what insidious worry can do to you and would probably pay for a scan...but logically you don't really need to..

Nikki2ol6 Tue 29-Nov-16 11:01:48

That's odd they didn't book you another scan if you have asked for the screenings and they were unable to do them they should have asked you to come back another day. I would call them and ask

fourcorneredcircle Tue 29-Nov-16 11:05:06

Thank you Mrs for making very sensible points. I needed a bit of rational thought, you're very right about risk and percentage chances. No chance of NHS rescan. MW just phoned back though, she was very reassuring and kind and basically repeated what you have already said. I'm feeling much calmer and will probably save my money for a rainy day or a travel system.

Whilst I haven't waited as long as you for this baby, or have so much intervention, we had unexplained infertility and getting pregnant took several years. I thought that getting pregnant was worrying enough. Nobody warned me that being pregnant was worse!

Helbel82 Tue 29-Nov-16 11:28:23

I think part of the reason I'm a bit 🤔* is because my pictures look so very different to everyone else's. It makes me worried that everything is ok. Has anyone else had 12 week scan images that weren't the "standard" baby lying on back with clear skull and torso?*

One of my 12 week scan pics looks just like the second one, face on (scared the hell out of me when I saw it!) and I've seen varying qualities of pictures from other people. My 20 week pics are so different from my 12 week pics and everything is measuring fine so I wouldn't worry too much about what the pictures look like.

Trulyamnearanear Tue 29-Nov-16 11:51:15

I couldn't get the measurements at the 12 week scan because of all the fat in the way and did decide to get one privately. It sounds like you don't need to but what I woul say IME is the private scan was lovely. Very thorough and I got to see a lot more details than I would have otherwise.
Agree the pictures look normal squished up baby.

MrsChrisPratt Tue 29-Nov-16 12:34:25

I have been taken aback by how stressful pregnancy is, and I think dealing with infertility beforehand compounds it. You are not alone flowers

Vida32 Tue 29-Nov-16 13:09:54

First time we went we were too early for NT (11+1) and then at the rescan (12+5) baby was in the wrong position.
We have been undecided about NIPT b/c it is such a lot of money, even though parents said they would help. I had 16 week bloods last week and am waiting for those but I know they won't show Patau's, etc. We did happen to get an extra scan at the same time as the bloods b/c we have moved to a different hospital and they wanted to retake measurements. This gave some reassurance as development was looking normal. TBH I am still undecided and I know we are running out of time now. I'm not completely clear about how good the 20 week scan (in three weeks) will be at detecting problems.
It's a really tough decision. I might be tempted to pay the lower cost for the repeat NT. We couldn't do this b/c we were moving house two days after the repeat scan and couldn't find anywhere in our new location that could fit us in within the few days we had left to get a measurement.

NickyEds Tue 29-Nov-16 14:37:23

If you want the nt measurements I would push for another nhs one. They can do the nt measurement up to 14 weeks and I was told that if the baby is in a tricky position they usually just ask you back a few days later. I was very upset when various cock ups meant that I thought I was 13+5 days when I went for my scan. Dd was facing the wrong way and wriggling so they couldn't do it and I was actually 14 weeks. The test was done on a Friday so I couldn't have it re done in time so I had to wait for the bloods at 16 weeks and I found it quite stressful.

Snowflakes1122 Tue 29-Nov-16 14:40:49

My first DC was laying on her belly upside down on th first scan. Looked strange.

I had at least 25 scans over 5 pregnancies and I've seen very similar to your scan photos on some of them.
I probably wouldn't sp no the additional money, but I'd push for the NHS to provide a rescan. You have a limited window on which they measure the nuchal fold, so keep bugging them.

I'm surprise they didn't ask you to go for a walk around and eat some chocolate to get baby to move before sending you home.

fourcorneredcircle Tue 29-Nov-16 18:20:02

After talking to the MW and DH (agaaaiiiiin). I think I've made my peace with blood test at 16 weeks. There is no chance of an NHS rescan, MW was kind but clear on that. What will be will be.

It's been really reassuring to hear from those of you that had less than optimal pictures too, thanks. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now