Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I had a huge poop and now I'm bleeding!!

(23 Posts)
Nikki2ol6 Mon 28-Nov-16 14:15:16

Hello! I'm 35 weeks and been a little constipated and I had a huge poop and after it there was a lot of blood! I wiped 5 times and each time the toilet roll was red! There was also blood in the toilet but not much. Do I need to see anyone about this or is it fairly normal?

ButtfaceMiscreant Mon 28-Nov-16 14:15:56

Where are you bleeding from? Your bottom or vagina?

isthatpoisontoo Mon 28-Nov-16 14:18:55

Piles. I had the same when pregnant. Get a doctor's appointment, because it can get damn painful if you don't (I speak from regrettable experience).

Nikki2ol6 Mon 28-Nov-16 14:19:16

Bottom

stumblymonkey Mon 28-Nov-16 14:19:41

^^

Yes, you need to check this first. It's very common to bleed after a big poo and it will be bright red new blood from a tear.

Also it will stop in the next hour.

Get a clean piece of tissue and gently swab just inside your vagina (no further!) to see if the blood is coming from there. It probably isn't so don't panic but worth checking.

stumblymonkey Mon 28-Nov-16 14:21:33

X post!

Either piles or a small tear. You'd be amazed at how much a small tear can bleed.

I wouldn't worry unless it causes you ongoing issues. You'll most likely be fine next time you go to the loo.

Maybe eat some more fibre though as the pregnancy may be making you a little 'bunged up' hence the big poo!

Nikki2ol6 Mon 28-Nov-16 14:26:51

Iv been and checked and it has stopped and was deffo not from my vagina however there was drops of blood on my bathroom floor 😳

LikeaSnowflake Mon 28-Nov-16 16:13:08

Piles. Awful. Got them after labour with my first. I am now pregnant again and already had a few bottom bleeds. Sympathies flowers

Scotmum83 Mon 28-Nov-16 17:13:03

Make sure you eat lots of things like pears and plums as it might be quite painful the next time you go and could bleed again too. Poor you, I remember this with my first pregnancy so make sure that I'm getting plenty of fruit and veg this time and so far I'm ok.

Nikki2ol6 Mon 28-Nov-16 17:56:49

Ok so some hours later my anus is very sore and has little balloons sticking out of it! Iv called my midwife who told me to buy a cream called anysol. Any other recommendations?

Watto1 Mon 28-Nov-16 18:01:21

Oh dear. I had piles in late pregnancy too. Anusol does help, as does using moist toilet paper/wipes.

smEGGnogg Mon 28-Nov-16 18:08:01

Anusol is pretty good.

There's also Preparation H and Hemoclin that you could try. Buy it at Boots or any other pharmacy.

Nikki2ol6 Mon 28-Nov-16 18:19:00

Ah the pain is bad I can hardly walk or sit down!! I hope this doesn't happen after I give birth shock

Colby43443 Mon 28-Nov-16 18:23:06

Oh dear. I would take lactulose for the next week or so.

smEGGnogg Mon 28-Nov-16 18:30:35

The cream will help the pain. It has numbing properties.

Yes they probably will make a very nasty appearance at the birth. Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear at all. It's horrible, I have them too and they're always massive afterwards.

peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 28-Nov-16 18:33:42

You can get suppositories for piles as well which are very good, and may help to erm, soften things up.
Drink plenty of water (more than you think you need - 3l if you can manage it) and eat lots of fruit.

Crossph Mon 28-Nov-16 18:38:58

Hi,

Your midwife sounds right.

If you have bright red bleeding that is like a nose bleed type colour, is on the tissue paper on wiping and associated with straining only then it doesn't sound worrying.

The lumps sounds like an external haemorrhoid (pile) or a thrombosis pile. It should resolve with anusol cream and avoiding more straining by increasing dietary fibre. There are supplements to help such as fybogel and lactulose that can help with this but speak to your pharmacist before taking. Plus like the others say use toilet tissue wipes instead of paper to avoid irritating and causing pain.

Treatment you can try at home,
would be either you or someone else putting sugar on the pile that will shrink it or alternatively if you feel more comfortable apply frozen peas or some similar frozen product (wrapped in a cloth of some sort) over the pile. smile

Remember though once the pile goes you can be left with a skin tag, that are not serious but can cause irritation.

Nikki2ol6 Mon 28-Nov-16 19:09:16

Thank you I will get some anusol tomorrow but for tonight I'm going to try sudocrem and see if that helps

Dixiechick17 Mon 28-Nov-16 19:47:37

Can you not send someone out to get anusol tonight? You can get it from any supermarket, and the relief is pretty quick. Rather than suffering the night. I had it post birth, not too bad thankfully, but sore.

OrianaBanana Mon 28-Nov-16 19:50:27

I've been taking Fybogel daily which really helps soften things up and helps things along. Straining and rock solid poos are really bad for piles.

AButterflyLightsBesideUs Mon 28-Nov-16 19:51:16

Germaloids is the other otc remedy which I have used. Gross as it sounds you will be more comfortable if you can push the pile back inside each time you have been to the loo.

I would personally recommend seeing the GP and getting the prescription strength suppositories with steroid in as they are way better than anusol etc. I had Scheriproct. You want to shrink & heal them as much as possible prior to birth and IIRC you don't have all that many weeks to go?

Up your soluble fibre and fluid intake to avoid constipation as this will make the piles worse. Raise your feet a little on a shoebox or something when you poo, it's easier on the bum!

Good luck. I know your pain!

plimsolls Mon 28-Nov-16 19:51:23

Also, from now on: drink lots and lots of water (I know it's difficult when heavily pregnant) and eat fruit. Whatever you do, don't up your fibre intake without upping your water intake.

Anusol is very good.

Sudocrem is ok as a temporary measure until you can get Anusol.

plimsolls Mon 28-Nov-16 19:52:55

Second the Scheriproct recommendation (needs to be prescribed). I think they're not recommended for pregnancy and breastfeeding but my GP said that was just because they hadn't been trialled and that ithey would actually be fine to use. Your doc may be more cautious?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now