Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low lying placenta @ 20 weeks

(6 Posts)
HayleyIsabel Mon 28-Nov-16 12:28:20

Hi, I have been told I have a low lying placenta at my 20 week scan and on my notes it reads; posterior placenta and vessels covering os rescan at 32 weeks. I am not sure what this means? The ultrasound tec said I will likely have a c section? And I havent heard anything from my midwife or consultant yet. I am still under the consultant for a large subchorionic hematome which caused heavy bleeding from 12 weeks but at my most recent scan she said it hasn't changed size and will be there til delivery but there is no flow so she thinks my more recent bleeds could be down to the placenta issue. I am beyond fed up now I havent even announced my pregnancy to friends yet as I am worried something bad will happen ( I still don't have much of a bump and quite petite. ) I was due to go abroad ( 9hr flight) with my 1 year old and partner next week and don't know if I can still go. ANY advice would be great, sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!!

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 28-Nov-16 12:40:18

If it's covering the cervix then it is less likely it will move up and away so it will effectively block the baby's exit so a section would be required. They will check if it has moved at 32 weeks.
I suspect you won't be able to fly sad but I would ring the midwives, ante natal unit, GP or consultant's Secretary to get a proper answer.
Any bleeding now should be double checked.
It's not unusual to have a complete placenta previa so try not to think terrible things!

SeashellHoarder Tue 29-Nov-16 02:27:05

I have placenta previa and I've been advised not to fly more than 1 hours flight.

Please check with your midwife in the first instance.

If she says it's OK you will need to call your medical insurance to see if your covered.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 29-Nov-16 04:46:53

Also have same

Basically means placenta is over the cervix

and I get scanned every 3w to check cervix and see where placenta is

Was told is hasn't moved by 37w that they will do a cs

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 29-Nov-16 04:49:06

Flying. Check with mw and hosoital tho TBH I wouldn't do a 9hr flight

Did 4hrs at 14w and they said that was fine but don't do long haul

Had sexy flight socks on and fragmin

Puggleface Tue 29-Nov-16 06:40:57

Sorry to hear this. Agree with the above about checking before flying - hopefully you'all be fine!
Also when they re-scan you ask for a full colour doppler ultrasound to check the vessels and ask where the cord is insterted into the placenta.
Anxiety is a terrible thing, make sure your midwife and Dr know all your concerns.
Best of luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now