Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hypothyroid and Just a tiny bit pregnant - anyone else?

(7 Posts)
Stuckinstressville Mon 28-Nov-16 11:27:44

So I am 6 weeks pg with DC2, big yay, however very anxious about my thyroid.

Went to GP last week as have had a chest infection but she said we ran out of time to talk about pregnancy so seeing her tomorrow.

I am so concerned about being hypothyroid, diagnosed about 5 months ago, when my TSH was 103, think is is now about 1 or 2, after 100mg to 125mg Thyroxine. Shocked i even got pregnant as figured it would take forever like DC1 and was warned my fertility would be impacted. DC1 is 14 months.

Wondering if anyone has experience of what happens regarding care or symptoms as I know it has an impact but not much else.

Is it deemed a high risk thing?

The GP said she didn't know much but it was a quick 20 secs.

TIA

FlipperSkipper Mon 28-Nov-16 11:58:02

You need your thyroxine increasing and your TSH monitoring closely in first trimester especially, and all the way through. Your GP should initially seek advice from an endocrinologist and refer you to an endocrinologist for proper monitoring. Your TSH should be under 2 for the first trimester. Sorry for disjointed message, on phone at work!

Stuckinstressville Mon 28-Nov-16 12:29:34

flipper this is helpful! Am avoiding dr Google!

Am just 6weeks so hope times on my side!

chloechloe Mon 28-Nov-16 12:35:08

As PP has said, it needs to be monitored as your meds probably need increasing at the beginning as the baby relies on your thyroid hormones until the placenta takes over. There's no reason why this alone should make you high risk though.

The website for the British Thyroid Association has lots of useful info on pregnancy.

I'm hypo as well and had to up my meds from 50 to 100 mcg in my first pregnancy and from 50 to 75 in this one.

Congratulations!

AButterflyLightsBesideUs Mon 28-Nov-16 13:12:47

Have a read of the NICE guidelines here for management in pregnancy. I printed off the relevant pages and took them to my GP and she was brilliant about regular bloods and meds adjustments until my consultant took over at 13 weeks.

When you see the midwife to get booked in you will be put on consultant led care because of the thyroid, which usually means a smattering of consultant appointments and normal midwife ones in between.

If your TSH is kept under control and stable then you will not be deemed high risk. I'm 32 weeks now and my consultant says if everything carries on as it is at the moment she has no concerns about me booking a MW led unit/home birth if I wanted to.

It's important to keep getting it checked regularly via your GP in the postpartum period too, esp if you are breastfeeding as it can affect that if it all goes haywire.

Good luck and congratulations!

Kintan Mon 28-Nov-16 13:19:02

I see a consultant every few weeks who checks my blood test results. I'm 31 weeks now and am still on my pre-pregnancy daily dose. I understand it's normal to have your dose increased though, but it hasn't been necessary in my case. The hypothyroidism hasn't caused me to be put under consultant led care for the birth - I am hoping to give birth in the midwife led unit if all continues to go well smile

Stuckinstressville Mon 28-Nov-16 16:59:05

Thank you ladies, feel more informed now for my appt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now