Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BFP - how soon should I see GP

(14 Posts)
GoingToInfinity Sun 27-Nov-16 21:04:36

I got a very faint positive on Wednesday (11dpo), so waited and tested again on Friday and got a very clear positive. I phone the doctors the same day and asked to book an appointment for next week in the late afternoon - I can't go earlier in the day due to work. I was told that they haven't got anything available for the next 2 weeks that I can book in advance, and that I should just phone on the day to get one of the same day appointments. I don't really feel as though being pregnant requires a same day appointment, as I believe these tend to be saved for urgent cases, although the receptionist didn't make it very clear.
I have booked an appointment for just over 2 weeks time, but I don't know whether I need to see the GP any sooner? I estimate that I am just over 4 weeks at the moment.

Eminybob Sun 27-Nov-16 21:10:53

At my GP you don't book in with the doctor, you book straight in with a midwife. Did you tell the receptionist what you were going in for?
If the process at your GP is to go in with the dr then 2 weeks should be fine, I had to wait at least that to see a midwife with dc1. What you don't want is a 2 week wait to see the dr, then another 2 weeks to see a midwife.
Congratulations by the way flowers

Dozer Sun 27-Nov-16 21:11:55

You don't necessarily need a GP appointment.

Dozer Sun 27-Nov-16 21:12:11

Congratulations!

ShowOfHands Sun 27-Nov-16 21:13:29

I didn't see a GP. Just booked in to see the midwife when I was 8 weeks.

mayhew Sun 27-Nov-16 21:14:54

In my area you can self refer to the maternity unit. You do it over the counter in the antenatal clinic. Other units have online self referral. They then call you in for booking and scan.
No GPs needed.

catx1606 Sun 27-Nov-16 21:29:20

I didn't see the GP, just saw the nurse booked me in and referred me to the midwife. She was also the one who sent off my application for my maternity exception card. Congratulations

GreedyDuck Sun 27-Nov-16 21:32:18

I've self referred to the midwives at my chosen hospital on both occasions, never bothered to see my GP at all.

Just make sure you're taking some folic acid and vitamin D and lay off the fags/booze/mould ripened cheeses in the meantime.

jadeyty Sun 27-Nov-16 21:37:24

I saw my GP but only because I wasn't sure what I needed to do. The GP wasn't really that helpful. Just told me to take folic acid and stop eating certain foods. I think you can just fill out a form to refer yourself to the midwife. My midwife appointment wasn't until 9 weeks.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Sun 27-Nov-16 21:50:41

Your pregnant, not ill so you donnt need to see a gp. google your local hospital or NHS health lard and see what it says - most places now have a number that you call to register with a midwife. No one will want or see you till your booking in appt at around 8-10 weeks.

GoingToInfinity Sun 27-Nov-16 21:59:37

Ah ok thanks guys, I had just assumed you went to the GP first. I'll try phoning the surgery tomorrow and see what they say, as the local hospital website isn't very clear.

seven201 Sun 27-Nov-16 22:49:23

Yep, do as you say and ring as every area has different rules. I rang the gp surgery to ask and they just gave me the phone number for the midwife. Didn't see them until 8 week booking in appointment.

Oysterbabe Mon 28-Nov-16 12:30:23

I called the surgery and they told me to pop in and pick up a pregnancy pack. It had various leaflets in and details of how to self refer to the midwife.

arbrighton Mon 28-Nov-16 12:38:16

I asked at my gp and they just gave me the no for the midwives. Rang them, booking appt done smile
I did then make an appt to see GP too as I needed to discuss my current medication

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now