Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Panicking about induction

(5 Posts)
user1464279374 Sat 26-Nov-16 19:17:14

Hi all,

Having been told two weeks ago that I was going to be induced at 37 weeks, I went from initial disappointment to getting myself excited about the process and being glad it was happening (safer for baby and we know when he's going to arrive!)

But then an article came up on my newsfeed about a woman who died from amniotic fluid embolism and I started googling (I know...) and found so many things associating it with induction. I'm now terrified and am wondering whether I should really question the consultant about whether it's worth holding off on induction and seeing what happens. I know I'm not being very rational given the statistics but I've got myself into a real state. We're going in at the end of next week to be induced so it's very real and close now.

Not quite sure what I'm looking for by posting but was just wondering if anyone had some positive things to say about induction and/or knows anything about AFE?

Thanks in advance.

Nikki2ol6 Sat 26-Nov-16 19:20:16

I have been induced twice once at 38 weeks and once at 37+6. Both times for reduced movements and I knew it was way safer for my baby to come out. Neither were awful and nothing bad happened and I have two healthy children from this which if I hadn't of been induced I wouldn't have those children they are now 3 and 20 months.

SockQueen Sat 26-Nov-16 19:32:57

I was induced, but that was because I was overdue, and it was absolutely fine - delivered 12 hours after the pessary went in. I know it's not so easy for some women but plenty do respond well to it.

I'm assuming if they're inducing early, there's some kind of medical reason? If so, then it's likely that the risks of whatever that is are higher than the chances of AFE. Induction is not without risk, but you and your doctors have to balance those against the risk to you and your baby of continuing the pregnancy.

Jojo13 Sat 26-Nov-16 21:21:30

I was induced at 39 weeks. To be honest, at the time it never entered my head to think about the risks, I just figured it was obviously the safer option or they wouldn't be suggesting it.
I had the pessary only and 12 hours later I was in the delivery room. I didn't have any problems aside from what can happen in any birth (he got a bit stuck and ended up forceps delivery).
Good luck and wishing you all the best x

Izzy24 Sat 26-Nov-16 21:26:30

Please don't worry about AFE. It's extremely rare and I'm not aware that IOL increases the (very small) risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now