Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Acne in pregnancy

(10 Posts)
Hayls17 Fri 25-Nov-16 00:41:53

I've suffered with acne on my face since I was a teenager. However since I was around 20 it's been massively controlled by being on the pill. I came off the pill to ttc in March and it started creeping back slowly. Fast forward to now I'm nearly 20 weeks pregnant and my acne is worse than ever. My chest and my back is also covered which never happened pre- pregnancy.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice? I mentioned to my midwife and she just shrugged it off as something that happens and made me feel terribly vain.

MoonlightMojitos Fri 25-Nov-16 21:11:22

Bump.

I'm in the same boat and I don't think there's anything we can do tbh. I had tried loads of different antibiotics, topical creams, every wash going etc when younger and dianette was the only thing that cleared my skin up. Stopped taking it in April, now 13 weeks pregnant and also miserable and spotty including on my back which I didn't have before.

I hope someone with more helpful suggestions comes along.

Nikki2ol6 Fri 25-Nov-16 21:33:53

I got a lot of spots in my first trimester all over my chin and neck!! I also hadn't had them since I was a teenager. They stopped after around the end of the first trimester

Hayls17 Fri 25-Nov-16 22:02:04

I'm middle of my second trimester and they seem to be getting worse and worse confused I know it seems a bit pathetic but it's making me feeling so self conscious, not so much on my face as I can cover it well, but all over my chest.

TallyHoAndToodlePip Sat 26-Nov-16 18:09:14

I found a balancing glycolic acid night serum by Nip+Fab was the only thing that got my facial acne under control. Literally nothing else worked. It's half price at superdrug atm! I'm 21+4 now and my chest has cleared up naturally but my back is still spotty. I can't reach it well enough to apply the serum sad At least I can cover that with clothes I suppose!

Hayls17 Sat 26-Nov-16 18:45:56

tallyho thank you so much, I will definitely get some ordered. Had a google and glycolic acid is safe to use in pregnancy so that's a relief. I've just thrown out a face wash and moisturiser as I found out salicylic acid and retinol are potentially harmful to baby confused the risk with topical use is minimal but I chucked them just in case.

TallyHoAndToodlePip Sat 26-Nov-16 19:32:02

OP, I didn't realise until you mentioned it but the serum I mentioned does have salicylic acid in it too. I was told by my doctor that over-the-counter salicylic acid products are safe for topical use only during pregnancy, but oral stuff wasn't because it's stronger and you ingest it, so your baby can too. I understand if you don't want to use it though. I thought this one was just glycolic acid though which is why i tried it and continue to use it. Sorry if I just disappointed you sad

Hayls17 Sat 26-Nov-16 19:50:10

Don't worry thanks for the suggestion anyway! I've been using a wash with salicylic acid in up until a week ago anyway, I think I might hold off until my anomaly scan next week and if all is good il try some.

TallyHoAndToodlePip Sat 26-Nov-16 20:21:10

I've been using the serum for nearly 2 months now. I had my anomaly scan last week and my baby was perfect and I'm sure yours will be too smile

Blink1982 Sun 27-Nov-16 22:07:09

It's the total opposite for me. I'M a spotty beast til I get pregnant. My routine is wash with dettol soap, cleanse and moisturise. It doesn't stop them all but it massively improves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now