Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

34 week midwife appt and baby estimated to be 5lbs 8oz already - is this big??

(24 Posts)
singingpinkmonkey Thu 24-Nov-16 12:26:21

Hello!

Just come back from my 34 week midwife appointment and from my measurements the baby is looking like he weighs 5lb 8oz at this stage. Just wondered if this is considered big for this stage or how it compares to other ladies?
I know it's not entirely accurate but am just interested to see how big my baby is likely to be. I'm 5ft 10 so he may be tall like me!

mouldycheesefan Thu 24-Nov-16 12:28:09

What did the midwife say when you asked her?

MissBattleaxe Thu 24-Nov-16 12:28:13

Doesn't sound too alarming. My DS was 7lb 8 at 36 weeks and weighed 9.8lb at birth!

Nikki2ol6 Thu 24-Nov-16 12:30:10

I'm guessing this is from your graph?
Where did the midwife put the dot on your chart? Is it inbetween the lines?

Hellmouth Thu 24-Nov-16 12:30:58

i'm sure my DS weighed about the same at 34 weeks. He was 8lb 11oz at birth (born at 42 weeks exactly). He's nearly 5 months but already filling out 6-9 month clothes. I'm a short arse, but there are tall people in my family, and DP is tall.

singingpinkmonkey Thu 24-Nov-16 12:31:19

The midwife just said that he was in the range he was supposed to be and there was no concern. She also told me that the estimates are not always accurate. It's not like I'm worried, just curious as it's my first baby so this is all new!

littleostrich Thu 24-Nov-16 12:33:50

My DS was born at 34 weeks and he weighed 5lb 14oz, which they did say was fairly big! But at my previous midwife appointment she did say he'd had a "growth spurt".

stealthbanana Thu 24-Nov-16 12:39:48

I had a scan today at 34+5 and was told mine was measuring just under 7lbs! - I am currently freaking out!

WappersReturns Thu 24-Nov-16 12:42:07

My DS2 was born at 34 weeks at 6lb 4oz! He would have been a whopper if he had gone full term!

smEGGnogg Thu 24-Nov-16 12:44:30

Here's an averages chart:

www.babycentre.co.uk/a1004000/average-fetal-length-and-weight-chart

It is true that the estimates can be off but from my own experience with my last baby, had a scan at 34 weeks and she was 6lb 7oz. She was a large baby, 10lb 5oz, at birth.

Kel1234 Thu 24-Nov-16 12:46:37

My lo was 6lb 7oz at birth. But I only measured 30 weeks at 37 weeks. Can't remember what the weight was though.

Nikki2ol6 Thu 24-Nov-16 12:52:38

Well I wouldn't go from that measurement too much as it can change depending on the position of the baby. Mine went really big last time and I'm sure my baby was sticking his bum out because the next time it was back down again and he was born 7lbs9 so don't worry

Annabrooke90 Thu 24-Nov-16 21:05:08

Those estimates are not accurate at all. But my ds4 was born at 34 weeks and he was 5ib 15oz.

Darcourse Thu 24-Nov-16 21:10:53

Is this just from midwife measuring your bump or a scan? Even scan estimates are wildly inaccurate let alone measuring a bump so I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Whatsername17 Thu 24-Nov-16 21:19:58

I had a scan yesterday at 31+5 and my baby was measuring at 32+6 and weighing an estimated 4lb4oz! I'm freaking out!

LittleLionMansMummy Fri 25-Nov-16 00:12:28

Tape measurements can be hugely inaccurate op because it won't account for the baby's position or how much is fluid etc. Scans are more accurate but even they aren't 100%. My 34 week growth scan put mine at 6lbs and they didn't seem worried. My first baby was 8lbs so this one was always likely to be bigger - I reckon 9lbs.

ladylambkin Fri 25-Nov-16 00:21:20

I had a scan with DD at 33 weeks and they thought she was around 7lbs at that point. I was induced 2 weeks before my due date and she was 9lbs 6oz at birth

CaminanteNoHayCamino Fri 25-Nov-16 00:24:40

Whatsername, my son was born at 31+4 weighing 4lb2oz - nothing to be freaked out about at all. Believe you me, that is not big. If the worst happens and you have a premature labour you will be very glad to have a healthy weight baby as they will do far better. I'm sure you won't though!

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 25-Nov-16 00:29:01

My ds was a 5lb 10oz baby at 35 weeks. They may put on 0.5 lb a week. You might have a 9lb baby. Or a tall 7lb baby.

chipmonkey Fri 25-Nov-16 00:36:03

Ds3 was 5lb 3oz at 32 weeks. Ds1, ds2 and ds4 were all around 9lb fullterm. Dd was 2lb 3oz at 28 weeks.

neversleepagain Fri 25-Nov-16 16:54:44

My twins were 5lb4 a d 5lb8 at 34 weeks.

Silversun83 Fri 25-Nov-16 20:57:01

My DD was estimated to be 5lbs 8oz at I think 34+4.. She eventually made an appearance at 41+5 at 8lbs 8oz so my scan was fairly accurate. I'm only 5'4 though and weighed about 8.5 stone before pregnancy and have a pretty small frame so she was pretty large for my size.. I ended up having an EMCS anyway but the consultant who saw me in labour very accurately judged her size just from feeling my bump and said she would be too big to birth myself without the help of either forceps or ventouse..

At your height though you'd probably be okay with a similarly-weighted baby! And if DD had been on time she probably would have been a bit more manageable! ;)

Becciilouisex3 Fri 25-Nov-16 23:32:05

Honestly I wouldn't necessarily take any notice of a weight estimated by the bump size. They're known to be super unreliable and were dangerously so in my case.

I was measuring slightly above the 90th so predicted an 8ish pound DS but because my bump was the "right size" they never sent me for any growth scans and missed the fact that I had excess fluid and a smaller baby. I should have been monitored as DS was actually growing around the 10th centile and they would have told me I needed a hospital birth due to his size and needing to be monitored. I was booked in for a birth at a midwife unit with no doctors on site. Luckily, my waters broke first and no contractions for a while so I had to go into hospital to labour.
I have a major chip on my shoulder about bump measuring which clearly isn't obvious at all grin
If baby is that size at this point that's totally normal though! And I should point out I was told my situation is rare, it is usually picked up so I'm sure you're absolutely fine! You're growing a little life and no matter what size, they'll be here soon enough, good luck! smileflowers

LittleLionMansMummy Sat 26-Nov-16 07:51:40

Hi again op. Came back to say that my growth scan (but not tape measurements) was pretty accurate. Our little girl was born yesterday weighing in at 8lbs 14oz - a very healthy size but not unmanageable! Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now