Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Exercise after having baby?

(11 Posts)
MalbecAndLindt Thu 24-Nov-16 11:48:26

I'm 6 months pregnant with my first baby so all new to me. For various reasons, I haven't been able to take my dog for a walk since I became pregnant (my dad has taken over in the meantime) and I was seriously getting into yoga but just been doing some light pregnancy yoga lately.

Whilst I'm not expecting to don my walking boots or roll out my yoga mat hours after giving birth, I'd like to aim to start being active fairly soon after. I'll start off with small strolls with baby around the block etc, and that's obviously with the best case scenario that all goes well with birth and labour.

When does you start with light exercise after birth?

MyBlackCat Thu 24-Nov-16 11:51:16

I'm interested in the replies to this, gave birth 10 days ago, I ran up until 3 weeks before birth, not intentionally as he came 4 weeks early. Was out walking with pram yesterday, looking forward to getting out running. Don't feel up to it just yet but hopefully by Christmas I will be.

kiki22 Thu 24-Nov-16 11:59:17

I exercised until 4 days before giving birth so I was able to return pretty quickly I had a c section was out walking in 3 days up to 10,000 steps a day by 3 weeks yoga at 6 weeks and my regular routine by 10 weeks.

I would recommend getting out pretty quickly its easy to end up in a rut but start slowly have a weekly target of steps for the first 6 weeks but don't beat yourself up if you don't get there just start over the next week. It can be daunting going back lots of people will say things like your crazy but its so much better for you. I had pnd with my first I'm sure getting out and fit helped keep it away this time.

MalbecAndLindt Thu 24-Nov-16 12:06:47

This already gives me hope smile

My mum lives about 5 minutes away so she can either push the pram while I walk the dog or just watch baby for half an hour while I take the dog out (she absolutely will not mind!). And on the weekends, my DP can have some one on one time with the baby while I take the dog on a long walk. It was always my thing so I've really missed it this pregnancy. It'll be lovely to restart a yoga routine and twist myself into a pretzel again grin

crayfish Thu 24-Nov-16 12:08:56

I was out walking (quite far - I don't have a car) within a week and started running again after getting the all clear from my Dr at 6 weeks. I did my first post-baby parkrun at 10 weeks post birth and my first 10k race not long after that. Running saved my sanity on the really tough days to be honest, but I took it easy to begin with.

Winegumaddict Thu 24-Nov-16 12:25:00

I had a 3rd degree tear after my first so didn't walk my dog for 3 weeks after giving birth my DH did so the dog was fine! I started with short walks but got back it it really quickly. I ride my horse just before my 6 week check then started running after it. I did a lot of swimming too. I did keep active during my pregnancy which may or may not have made a difference. I walked the dog for 2 hours the day I gave birth. This time I stopped riding at 34 weeks so it may take lonet to get back into it. I'm still walking my dogs though and I'm 39+3 today.

unicornpoopoop Thu 24-Nov-16 12:32:57

I started with lots of walking.

8 weeks post csection I attempted a sit up and apparently my brain didn't know my stomach existed. I literally couldn't move even a cm. I preserved slowly though and the feeling came back.

Then I got the app 7 minute workout. It starts off easily and then you rate how hard you found it then it tailors it with your progress.

cudbywestrangers Thu 24-Nov-16 12:33:16

I had emcs first time. Was doing short walks with the pram with in a week then mum & baby yoga from 6 weeks and tennis at 12 weeks. Had forceps this time. Again walking as soon as out of hospital, buggyfit classes at 8 weeks and tennis a bit later. Just make sure you listen to your body and don't try too much too soon, and how you feel about leaving your new baby may have an impact so just do whatever feels right for you... good luck!

katiegg Thu 24-Nov-16 12:45:52

I was out walking with ds in the pram a week after giving birth - I think our first walk was to tescos, about a mile there and back. after my six week GP check-up I went back to swimming once or twice a week.

museumum Thu 24-Nov-16 12:50:26

I was very lucky. I started buggy Bootcamp at six weeks after birth and loved it. But I'd already been doing post natal Pilates (with baby) from three weeks after birth. It was run by midwives so they were OK with me starting that early as they could tell I was ok.
Believe it or not I actually went out on my bike three weeks after giving birth! But really don't expect that - I was very lucky and had a water birth.

crayfish Thu 24-Nov-16 13:25:10

eek going out on your bike! You're a braver woman than me, but I had an episiotomy and could barely sit down for three weeks....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now