Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby not growing, 35 weeks

(7 Posts)
Dieselvictoria12 Thu 24-Nov-16 05:50:32

Hi, I'm new to this site but I'm so worried so just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience?

I went for my midwife appointment last Thursday (I was 34 weeks) and was measuring 30cm, which is the same as it was at my 31 week appt so she refferred me to the hospital for a growth scan the following day.

Growth scan confirmed suspicions of a small baby, they guessed she weighs around 3.5lbs, also said placenta/amniotic fluid is on the lower end of the spectrum but within measurements (whatever that means?)

Consultant then panicked me as was talking about an emergency c section that day! But instead I've been in 3 times to have the heartbeat monitored, movements are all still normal.

I have another growth scan tomorrow, and could potentially be having a c section depending whether or not she has grown, just so hard not knowing!!

I was given 2 steroid injections last week, and the midwife did say that she would prefer me to be closer to 37 weeks to deliver but whatever will be will be..

Anyone else had a similar situation or think they can predict what the outcome of tomorrow will be?!

Thanks

Xxx

thecatsarecrazy Thu 24-Nov-16 05:58:51

Not had similar myself but my bil partner was told their son was behind, wasn't growing, may need to be delivered early I think they said he was measuring 10 weeks behind and she had regular scans. He was actually 8lb 7 when he was born. I have no idea what happened there.

Diamondsandpears Thu 24-Nov-16 06:12:37

Hope your scan goes well today but a hand hold in the meantime. Take your bag, phone charger and some snacks with you.

dudleymcdudley Thu 24-Nov-16 06:22:29

I had a similar experience at 36 weeks and it was a big shock as I wasn't expecting anything to be wrong. I had an induction about a week later and he was born small (5lb 2) but healthy and after a week in hospital came home. He's a strapping 2 year old now and you wouldn't know he was so tiny and skinny at birth.
In my case it was the placenta failing, nothing to do with the baby, he was perfect.

I hope everything goes well for you, it sounds like the medical professionals are keeping a close eye and will get the baby out as soon as is necessary.

eurochick Thu 24-Nov-16 07:03:34

I had similar but was forewarned. My 20 week scan flagged a possible issue with blood flow through the placenta so I had an extra scan at 28 weeks. By that point the baby had dropped from around the 30th centile in size to off the bottom of the chart. I was then very closely monitored. The blood flow issue got critical at 33 and a half weeks and I was told they needed to deliver as soon as an incubator was available. She was delivered by CS at 34 weeks exactly, weighing 3lb6. She's now two and a boisterous toddler. The last few weeks of pregnancy were incredibly stressful.

Are they doing doppler scans for you?

chloechloe Thu 24-Nov-16 08:08:54

Hi there, I'm sorry you're going through this.

I had a similar scare a few weeks ago where DD2's growth fell below the 10th % due to problems with the placenta and there was talk of delivering her early. The next scan showed the start of the "brain sparing" effect where the baby realises it isn't getting enough nutrients and diverts the blood flow to the brain and vital organs rather than using it to grow. This week the effect has reversed however and the baby has had a growth spurt.

During this time I decided to start my mat leave earlier than planned, as I was doing a stressful job with a 2.5 hour round commute plus looking after my toddler. The fact that I've been resting more and less stressed may have something to do with it.

I was advised to lie down for a few hours during the day on my left side (best for blood flow to the placenta) and drink lots of water.

It's not clear from your post if they are just doing US or also a Doppler to check the blood flow through the placenta to the baby's organs - the latter gives them the best idea of whether the baby is struggling or not.

At the appt tomorrow ask whether as an alternative to an early delivery they could admit you to hospital for continuous monitoring. Every day closer to 37weeks makes a big difference.

My DD1 also had similar problems but which developed at term. I was induced at 40+5 due to low amniotic fluid and placental failure. She got distressed before I even went into labour leading to EMCS. She was 5llb5oz but otherwise perfectly healthy - due to the monitoring of the hospital they got her out in time.

You're in safe hands with the hospital monitoring this closely. Hope all goes well with the appt tomorrow and that it's safe to hold off delivering for the time being.

Dieselvictoria12 Thu 24-Nov-16 08:48:38

Thanks for that chloechloe. I have been monitored every other day with the doppler and will be having another ultrasound tomorrow which will determine whether or not I'll be having the c section. My partner works away a lot too which is making me worry more that he will miss the birth. He is here until next Thursday, then away for over a week!

On my the way to the hospital now for more monitoring, feel like I live there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now