Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What Christmas treats are you going to miss and what are you having instead?

(89 Posts)
SnugglySnerd Wed 23-Nov-16 10:24:42

I'm 22 weeks pregnant. Have just done the supermarket shop and the shelves were piled high with treats like Baileys, mulled wine, Prosecco and nibbly things involving brie.
It's left me feeling a bit grumpy about missing all my delicious favourites over Christmas.
I might have a small glass of fizz or cup of mulled wine and I've been dropping hints about Hotel Chocolat to DH.
Just wondered if anyone else has some nice pregnancy-friendly Christmas treats planned?

divadee Wed 23-Nov-16 10:52:28

I'm going to miss the alcohol!!! Sob.

I will have a small glass of bubbly with lunch but I will miss Buck's Fizz in the morning and a nice baileys In the evening.

VeganMama83 Wed 23-Nov-16 11:23:20

I think the Ribena winter fruits or whatever it's called is back out! Great dupe for Milled wine.

Won't miss anything personally as I don't really drink much anyhow and the foods that are off limits are either not something I like or aren't vegan anyhow.

MrsJW15 Wed 23-Nov-16 11:32:14

I'll definitely miss the Christmas drinking! Also, we usually have mince pies and things with alcohol and I'll have to be careful this year. I do intend to have a drink on the day though.

Baked brie is fine Snuggly so maybe look out for things like the brie and cranberry parcels that go in the oven?

fourcorneredcircle Wed 23-Nov-16 12:02:04

Baileys... although, you can buy an "Irish cream" flavoured coffee granule... so I'll probably make myself a posh coffee with cream and use that. Should feel Christmassy smile

SnugglySnerd Wed 23-Nov-16 12:06:24

I was looking at the Ribena winter fruits and wondering if it's nice. I might get some next week.
I was thinking hot chocolate with whipped cream would be a nice treat too with maybe a teaspoon of rum in it??
Didn't realise I could eat baked brie, that has cheered me up!

Dixiechick17 Wed 23-Nov-16 13:01:38

Sainsburys do a really nice alcohol free sparkling wine, I think it's a Taste the difference one and is dryer like prosecco and cava smile M&S alcohol free mulled wine is also nice

SnugglySnerd Wed 23-Nov-16 13:12:25

Thanks, will definitely be trying both of those!

Glitterbaby17 Wed 23-Nov-16 13:15:44

Will miss the cheeseboard so going to do baked Camembert instead ❤️

Artandco Wed 23-Nov-16 13:16:51

Belviour do some nice sparking and non sparkling cordials. Some can have hot

You can eat any non pasteurised cheese if it's been cooked

I would eat mince pies still also, it's hardly knocking back the shots and kids eat them so very little alcohol per pie

Homemade puff pasty sausage rolls are great

Orangedaisy Wed 23-Nov-16 13:19:05

Ikea fake mulled wine is pretty good. I intend to go crazy on smoked salmon. And will allow myself the brandy butter.

ScandiManny Wed 23-Nov-16 13:20:14

I'm really going to miss Baileys most of all. I'm working xmas day and will no doubt be selling lots of amazing Baileys hot chocolates so I think I might treat myself to one at the end of my shift smile

DarkLikeVader Wed 23-Nov-16 13:21:03

Surely mulled wine, if hot enough, will have negligible booze content? I'll be 38 plus weeks by Christmas so whilst I won't go mad, I'll be going by my consultant's advice that the baby is already finished and just fattening up and I will have at least one from the following: mulled wine, sherry trifle, glass of fizz with dinner. I'll probably forego the eggnog though. DH makes that and it's lethal!

DarkLikeVader Wed 23-Nov-16 13:21:45

Oh and I'll eat smoked salmon and for any Brie lovers - president Brie is pasteurised and therefore fine!

TheTartOfAsgard Wed 23-Nov-16 13:24:03

The booze and cheese. So I'll make up for it by eating a whole ham to myself.

AButterflyLightsBesideUs Wed 23-Nov-16 13:28:19

I WANT PATE! I have been missing it so much and all the lovely looking posh types are in the shops now taunting me bastards

The Lidl mulled punch is very nice though, I will be having some hot glasses of that with mince pies etc on several occasions.

Also looking forward to some delicious sticky medjool dates and if I pull my finger out and get organised, making and decorating gingerbread with DD.

Fortunately I don't really care about alcohol, but might have half a glass of a good white with my Christmas lunch (will be 36 weeks).

DarkLikeVader Wed 23-Nov-16 13:32:40

Ooh it's good know about the Lidl mulled punch - it's not in our local Lidl yet though so I'll ask my sister to check her Lidl!

Artandco Wed 23-Nov-16 13:55:54

You can eat some types of pate btw. It's the high vitamin a in the livers in the meat ones, but mushroom or salmon or similar ones would be fine

SnugglySnerd Wed 23-Nov-16 13:57:53

Dark, I thought that about mulled wine and subsequently had one of the worst hangovers of my life after overdoing it a bit at a Christmas market!
Good news about President brie.

fourcorneredcircle Wed 23-Nov-16 14:04:42

I'm very happy to hear that about President brie!!!

Some vegetarian pâtés contain raw eggs to help bind them... most eggs in the UK are salmonella safe but just a thought... also, vegetarian pâté has a higher risk factor for listeria than meat or fish.

Can't find anything that says we shouldn't have salmon ones though...

dementedpixie Wed 23-Nov-16 14:13:13

Even pasteurised Brie should be avoided unless it has been cooked. As it is a soft cheese it has more chance of containing listeria. And it's all pates, not just meat pates again due to listeria risk.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx

Teakind Wed 23-Nov-16 14:15:06

Sorry thats not true on the pate. Hate to be a kill joy but the NHS says to avoid all pate because of the listeria risk so it's not just about the vitamin a content.

For me, it's copious amounts of prosecco and the parma ham starter. The non alcoholic mulled wine recommendations sound great!

dementedpixie Wed 23-Nov-16 14:16:33

If you freeze the Parma ham for 4 days prior to eating it then it should be fine to eat.

mrspage1985 Wed 23-Nov-16 16:18:59

I'm so happy baked Brie is ok...roll on a cheesy xmas!!!! smile

Spam88 Wed 23-Nov-16 16:38:19

I picked up a bottle of the Lidl mulled punch the other day, so glad to hear it's nice smile it may actually break my heart not being able to drink tia Maria and coke this year though...pretty sure there's no alcohol and caffeine free alternative but if anyone knows of one then you would be my favourite person in the world.

Also, just to second the previous killjoys, even pasteurised mould ripened cheeses are a no no due to listeria risk. It's only soft cheeses without a rind that are okay as long as they're pasteurised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now