Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

To sweep or not to sweep?

(5 Posts)
LittleLionMansMummy Wed 23-Nov-16 09:10:57

40+1 and I have an appointment with the midwife later today at which she'll offer me a sweep. I have no idea how effective sweeps are, but I'm deliberating whether or not to have it. Ordinarily I'd snap her hand off but I've contracted viral tonsillitis from my stepdaughter and feel pretty exhausted and icky. I'm concerned about going into labour when I feel like this. On the other hand, I could spontaneously go into labour any time now anyway and would just have to get on and deal with it. Any thoughts/ experience?

Justmuddlingalong Wed 23-Nov-16 09:22:12

3 pregnancies, 3 sweeps. Never worked with any of them, so induced 3 times. I would postpone it till you feel a bit better. Good luck flowers

Becciilouisex3 Wed 23-Nov-16 09:33:13

Maybe postpone it if you're not feeling well but id personally reschedule it. Just because I've heard that labour is a lot more intense and painful after induction.

That being said I've never been induced so I have absolutely no experience and it is of course your choice!

HateSummer Wed 23-Nov-16 09:35:40

No I wouldn't want it. I was recommended it with my first pregnancy and I felt violated afterwards. That whole birth was horrible with fingers being stuck up me every 2 seconds. It's your body and you have every right to say no. I wish I'd known that with dc1 pregnancy.

Slumberparty Wed 23-Nov-16 11:46:31

I've had 3 sweeps now (my choice) and baby still not showing any signs of coming! So I would say not to bother if you don't feel up to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now