Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

vbac appointment-what to expect

(15 Posts)
wineapotamus Tue 22-Nov-16 16:23:16

Does anyone have any experience of a VBAC appointment at Lewisham hospital, or anywhere really. I've got mine on Thursday and was just wondering how forceful the conversation will be from them on one side or the other. I'm 99.99% sure I'm going to go for ELCS (I tried the other way. Nearly broke me. Hideous) but i feel like it might be like the time when Joey and Chandler tried to quit the gym. I want to quit the gym.

oliversmummy26 Tue 22-Nov-16 17:12:53

I shall be following this with interest wineapotamus I'm 99% sure I want an ELCS too, but am dreading the "you should try VBAC, it will be easier and better for you in the long run"...I tried VB the first time round and it ended in EMCS, so not keen! I want to quit the gym too!! wink

GreenGoblin0 Tue 22-Nov-16 17:47:12

I am having this appt next week too although I want to try vbac. my impression is that it really is your preference. they will tell you risks either way but if you opt for elcs they will support this.

Letty7 Tue 22-Nov-16 17:56:10

I'll be following this post with interest as I'm in a similar situation. Good luck at your appointment.

Flymetothemoon1567 Tue 22-Nov-16 18:11:58

Is it with a midwife or a consultant? So far I've found the doctors much more open to cs than the midwives. Midwives weren't too forceful about it but I could definitely tell their preference was vbac and it seemed regardless of chance of success. Consultant seemed better at seeing both options as valid depending on circumstances of previous birth and current pregnancy. So far I've not felt any major pressure either way even from midwives though. I hope you will feel supported.

ohnonotanother1 Tue 22-Nov-16 18:53:56

Following with interest here too.

Can I ask how many weeks you are? I'm nearly 16 and this hasn't been mentioned since my booking in so I'm not sure when I need to mention it again??

GreenGoblin0 Tue 22-Nov-16 19:20:42

mine will be when I am nearly 23 weeks. had appt through from hospital by time of my 16 week midwife appt. if you are not seeing midwife until 28 weeks next would be good idea to call her or hospital to see where your referral is in the system

Scotmum83 Tue 22-Nov-16 19:29:54

I told my mw that I was definitely having a section this time so she told me to cancel the hospital appt about having a Vbac as it was pointless going. I doubt they will force you to give birth naturally if you don't want to, just say to your midwife you've made your mind up and don't want to waste their time.

wineapotamus Tue 22-Nov-16 19:38:46

I'm 24 weeks, I think my mw booked it for me at my 16 week appointment. I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm going to keep the appointment, I feel I should hear them out. Also I can have the morning off work. wink

Haggisfish Tue 22-Nov-16 19:46:19

Be firm, show no wavering if you are sure you want a cs! Nice guidelines now say we have a choice and this should be respected. Ignore any guilt tripping or higher risk nonsense they may come out with-do your own research.

DuckWaddle Tue 22-Nov-16 19:57:56

I had a terrible time with vbac delivery first time around ao wanted a CS. They made it so hard for me to have one but, in the end, I ended up medically needing one anyhow. Hopefully your hospital will be more open to your request but it's important you make it sound like you're 100% certain whilst making it clear you've made an informed decision. Also you need to ensure they understand the full extent of the physical and mental damage. I really found it impossible discussing it with the MW at my hospital. It was very stressful. I've had a much better birth experience and healing with the CS than vbac- although obviously every case is different.

Haggisfish Tue 22-Nov-16 20:35:26

My experience was the opposite of others here-midwives very supportive but consultants saying literally anything to get me to have a vbac. Gems such as 'a cs will affect bonding and bf' despite the fact I was still feeding my first cs child at 2.5 years!!😂 Honestly, they trotted out such nonsense. I asked them to show me the evidence to support what they were stating as fact and, of course, they couldn't.

oliversmummy26 Thu 24-Nov-16 10:30:48

Good luck with your appointment today wineapotamus let us know how you get on.

ohno I have an appointment with the consultant at 20 weeks (as am consultant lead due to my previous EMCS birth and big baby) so assuming it will be mentioned then. Only 9+2 at the moment though, so early days for me.

ohnonotanother1 Fri 25-Nov-16 09:12:15

Thanks everyone, got my 16 week appt next week so will chase then. And good luck to everyone either fighting for or with impending cs!

Kerala2712 Mon 28-Nov-16 01:00:52

I just said "a 1:200 chance of uterine rupture needing an emergency hysterectomy and with a high chance of damaging the baby is too high a risk for me." They looked a bit startled that i clearly understood and gave in immediately. I was talking to the consultant though- she even admitted she would make the same decision!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now