Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

FTM, 38w, no braxton-hicks

(11 Posts)
marmitedoesyougood Tue 22-Nov-16 11:35:21

My OH is 38 weeks pregnant with our first child. She hasn't felt any Braxton-Hicks contractions at any point, is that normal?

And if she does start to feel them in the coming fortnight, is there any way she'll be able to know whether it's the late-pregnancy appearance of Braxton-Hicks or actual labour??

Thanks!

PotteringAlong Tue 22-Nov-16 11:37:38

Yes. Remember she might have another month to go yet.

She will know if she's in labour. It used to annoy me when people said that before I had children because I always wanted to know "but how?!". But you just know.

DuchessofAnkh Tue 22-Nov-16 11:39:14

People are different but I had no braxton hicks AT ALL with my 1st. Just a very long build up labour.

With DS2, I had many braxton hicks and a much much shorter labour.

Hate to say this but there isn't any way she'll actually know - you just need to wait and see if they continue - Braxton Hicks are just a few, labour continues. Mind you even labour can stop and start depending on how (mentally) comfortable she is! It will slow down if she gets stressed.

BreatheDeep Tue 22-Nov-16 11:40:40

She might be having them and not be aware of it. They're not usually painful, just a tightening feeling. With my first I was in hospital around 38 weeks to have my blood pressure monitored but they were also monitoring baby and my notes stated I had contractions while there. I didn't notice them at all.

I notice them a lot more now with baby no. 2.

Yankeetarts Tue 22-Nov-16 11:43:47

I've have 2 dc and never had braxton hicks

NotWithoutMyMerkin Tue 22-Nov-16 11:46:53

I had no noticeable Brixton hicks. I was told I would be having them but couldn't feel them. In both pregnancies I also couldn't feel early contractions (knew I was having them as I was on the monitor) which the midwives were surprised about as they were pretty big.

marmitedoesyougood Tue 22-Nov-16 12:02:53

Thanks everyone. She's super calm about it all to be honest, it's only me who worries about this stuff grin

Nikki2ol6 Tue 22-Nov-16 12:31:03

I didn't get any in my first pregnancy the first pain I ever felt was at 5am one morning and was in my lower back along with a period cramp!! It was early labour. That was at 39wks

Choccyhobnob Tue 22-Nov-16 14:58:39

Absolutely no Braxton hicks or the 'tightenings' or 'bump going hard' like everyone told me would happen. Nope, just really strong period pain and back pain at 41 weeks starting 6 hours before he was born.

AudreyBradshaw Tue 22-Nov-16 15:06:20

I'm due tomorrow and I've not had a single braxton hick as far as I'm aware. I wouldn't worry, some people have them, others don't. I'm told if you have to ask 'is this labour?' Then it isn't labour. Good luck. grin

jobrum Tue 22-Nov-16 15:41:13

No BX here until about 39 weeks then only for a couple of days on and off, then nothing again until labour at nearly 42 weeks. I know there are so many things to worry about but she should enjoy having no braxton hicks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now