Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Increased amniotic fluid

(10 Posts)
mumof3nearly4girls Tue 22-Nov-16 10:18:34

Hello everyone, I'm new to this so forgive me if if I've posted on wrong place :/
Yesterday I went for a 30 week growth scan. Baby is growing fine, bigger than my previous actually, but they told me I have increased liquor. I've to go back in two weeks for a further scan and they said it could possibly be a sign of diabetes. My partner is type 1 diabetic, would this increase the chances? Sorry I know I'm waffling a bit but it was the last thing i was expecting to hear. Has anyone had this before and did it turn out to be anything to worry about?

summerson Tue 22-Nov-16 12:32:25

Hiya! I am in almost the same boat and will have my "two weeks later" scan on Saturday. Hoping that the fluid has decreased but also read it can occur for no reason.

Hopefully someone further along our path has more info and happy ending stories

mumof3nearly4girls Tue 22-Nov-16 12:42:40

Hey smile hope all goes well on Saturday for you! The consultant did say it may well be nothing, so here's hoping. My last baby was 4 weeks early and I've never even heard of increased fluid problems before so I'm extra paranoid. My pregnancy has been relatively problem free, apart from awful SPD from 16 weeks, and reoccurring UTIs. how has yours been? Xxx

Br1tch1ck Tue 22-Nov-16 14:15:05

Hey, I had this with my first- tested for diabetes plus a few other things. All came back negative and just happened to be one of those things.
If the levels are still high closer to your due date though they may offer to keep you in or give advice around your waters breaking. I ended up being induced so wasn't an issue. Good luck xx

wen4567 Tue 22-Nov-16 14:35:38

Hi, I had increased fluid at my 36 week growth scan. Had another scan at 38 and it was still high and classed as mild polyhydromnias so was referred for a foetal anomaly scan for 2 weeks later (if I hadn't gone in to labour first). Had no problems before this, had GTT test at 28 weeks which had come back fine.
Went for the scan at 40+3 to find all the fluid had gone and levels were back to normal!!
No one could tell me why it happened and midwife and consultant weren't overly worried just gave me advice on what to do if my waters broke or if I went in to labour.
Baby was born at 40+6 with no issues.

summerson Wed 23-Nov-16 18:06:23

Yay for success stories, thanks ladies. Paranoid of something going wrong but still a way off early labour (I hope) so fingers crossed everything will be ok. Mine is only marginally raised so hopefully it decreases. ... when's your next scan op?

Tidypidy Wed 23-Nov-16 18:11:15

I had this wth ds1. He was big and there was a lot more water than normal. I was huge! I didn't have gestational diabetes but ds1 was diagnosed with type 1 at 13 months old. It was never mentioned as a possibility though when I was pregnant with him. When my waters went it was more of a trickle, slightly disappointing as I thought there would be a tidal wave!

mumof3nearly4girls Wed 23-Nov-16 21:12:52

Thank you for there replies, they've calmed me down a bit lol. My next scan is on the 5th December, just to check fluid (or liquor as they've put on my notes) . I'm still anxious about the diabetes being a possibility, especially with baby with my partner being type 1 but hopefully not. Wow 13 months is an early prognosis, my oh was 5 I think. Xxx

mumof3nearly4girls Wed 23-Nov-16 21:13:43

hmm please excuse my typos !

Twinnypops Thu 24-Nov-16 14:16:39

At one of my scans (24 weeks?) one of my twins had raised liquor levels. I had a detailed scan with a consultant a few days later and not only was everything fine but the liquor levels were normal. The consultant said that the levels can vary throughout the day depending on how much they've drunk/peed. Try not to worry - If they're not getting you back in for another 2 weeks they're obviously not too worried about you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now