Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you opt out of consultant led care

(7 Posts)
Happilymarried155 Mon 21-Nov-16 19:07:44

Hi,
Currently 28 weeks with 2nd baby. Have had a phone call today to say I need to see a consultant as I had a 3rd degree tear in my first labour. Whilst I'm quite happy to go to the appointment I really wanted to give birth in my local birthing centre and I can't do this if I'm consultant led.
If I'm happy after my appointment am I able to opt out of seeing the consultant again?

Thank you in advance!

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 21-Nov-16 19:09:24

I was originally consultant led and after the initial appointment I was discharged back to midwives.

TheTantrumCometh Mon 21-Nov-16 19:12:10

I think it depends case by case.

In your case I'd say speak to the consultant at the appointment, they'll be able to advise if your wishes are putting you at risk (doesn't sound like it from what you've said) and should be able to 'release' you from consultant led care.

I'm not 100% on that though. I've been under consultant led care for all my pregnancies and each one has been for a good reason for me.

Pocketsizedpixie Mon 21-Nov-16 19:12:51

I had to see the consultant as I have had back surgery. They checked that this wouldn't impact my ability to give birth and then discharged me from consultant care. They won't keep you under the consultant if you dont need to be smile

gaggiagirl Mon 21-Nov-16 19:13:13

Yeah it's probably just a one off appointment the consultant will more than likely discharge you straight back to the MWs.

Happilymarried155 Mon 21-Nov-16 19:30:23

That's great! Fingers crossed. Thank you!

MrsMillions Mon 21-Nov-16 19:41:55

I had a third degree tear with DD1, had one consultant appointment during my pregnancy with DD2, where he discharged me to midwife led care. I'd had forceps in theatre and he had my notes (and had been there, not that I remembered him!) so was able to explain why that birth had gone as it had, and reassure me about the forthcoming birth. Think the only thing I was cautioned against was home birth, but that wasn't in my plans anyway.

All absolutely fine, DD2's birth was much quicker and easier, just one midwife and a student, no instruments, and "just" a second degree tear which healed much better than the third degree one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now